Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BSOD then multiplayer profile reset (all unlocks lost)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BSOD then multiplayer profile reset (all unlocks lost)

I was playing today, got to about rank 20 when out of no where my PC BSODed on me, when it restarted I loaded cod"waw. Much to my dismay, all my stats, unlocks and rank (was up to rank 20) were gone.

I navigated to my multiplayer profile folder and it says that my mpdata file is corrupt (says so under file name)

Anyone else have this same misfortune?

Re: BSOD then multiplayer profile reset (all unlocks lost)

I had a similar thing happen a couple of times during the PC Beta. BSOD, computer restarted itself automatically, then when I went back in all of my custom classes were reset and my options/controls had gone back to default. Still had all my ranks though.

I think COD4 initially had this problem too, so I recommend backing up your mpdata file every time you play when you exit the game.

Comment

I was on a marathon rank up run, ill back it up every rank now once I get past 15.

Comment

I had the same issue. Fortunately, I had only been playing for about an hour. I had several unlocks, and I got disconnected from the server I was on with an error (forgot what the error said). While I was out of the server, I went ahead and customized all my kits. When I finished, I quit the game, and my computer BSOD'd.

When I went back in to the game, I got an error reading my profile online. I exited the game, and loaded again. This time, I got in, but my rank was reset to zip. Interestingly, my custom kits retained the names I gave them, but I couldn't use them. After playing for a bit, and getting some rank again, I could access the custom kits, but they only retained the name, not the weapons or load-outs.

The rest of the evening went fine, and I even exited a few times to make sure everything was going to 'keep'.

Comment

Go to the COD5 official forums, about 90% of the players who are playing W@W on ps3/360/pc have had their entire profiles reset. I was at the rank of 51 and it reset this morning to rank 1. The word is that there will be a patch on monday, but who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Nadokings
            about 90% of the players who are playing W@W on ps3/360/pc have had their entire profiles reset.
            Not even close. Forums just seem that way because of all the people who sign up only when they have a problem. Most people are playing just fine without anything being reset (it's the "vocal minority vs. silent majority" thing).

I'm not saying it doesn't happen...there is a bad bug there...but it's nowhere near 90%.

Comment

Originally posted by Whiskey
              Not even close. Forums just seem that way because of all the people who sign up only when they have a problem. Most people are playing just fine without anything being reset (it's the "vocal minority vs. silent majority" thing).

I'm not saying it doesn't happen...there is a bad bug there...but it's nowhere near 90%.
              It sure seems like it. call it a general majority. Go look at the dam forums!

Comment

Originally posted by Nadokings
                It sure seems like it. call it a general majority. Go look at the dam forums!
                Oh, I'm sure the forums are full of complaints. But most of those people only sign up or post when they're unhappy about something. When things are good, it's silence. So even if 100 people are posting about it like crazy, there are thousands with no problems who are just happily playing and don't post. That's just the nature of teh interweb. This happens with every game that has tech issues...people flood the boards, and others think "omg, EVERYBODY has this", which just isn't true.

Comment

LOL OWNED

Comment

Well, I've found the solution for at least 1 of the BSOD crashes out there. I'll post it in both these threads just to be sure.

For me, I'd get a crash when taking a screenshot. I've discovered that in the screenshots folder, I had "View" set to "Thumbnails", which puts a hidden "thumbs.db" file in the folder.

As long as the thumbs.db file is in there, even if I change the View back to "Details", the game would crash if I took a screenie with F12.

If I delete the thumbs.db file and keep the View set to Details, no crashes.

So, if you're getting BSOD's, enable "View Hidden Files & Folders", and check your Screenshots folder for thumbs.db, and if it's there, delete it, and set your View to Details.

This may or may not solve your problem completely, but will help to eliminate one variable at least. Try it, and see if you still get any BSOD crashes.

Comment

Good find Whiskey, i'll do that.

Comment

Wheres the screenshot folder? I don't have one...

Comment

Originally posted by Speirs^
                          Wheres the screenshot folder? I don't have one...
                          Default path in WinXP:
                          C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\Activision\CoDWaW\screenshots

Comment

LOL OWNED

Comment

Check your CPU temperatures during idle and load, because I had BSOD's until I blew out all the dust from my PC, now it runs perfectly.

I use SpeedFan and Everest Ultimate Edition for temperatures.
                              CPU - E6700 Core2Duo

Without cleaning :

Core - 50'C/idle, 62'C/load

With Cleaning:

Core - 37'C/idle, 45'C/Load

Hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
                              X