Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Socket 939 Upgrade question

Hey guys,
    I'm running an old AMD 64 3200+ Socket 939. My Mobo is an ASUS A8NSLI(Deluxe?). I really like my motherboard and I don't see a reason for upgrading it besides that Socket 939 is old. I did find a socket 939 http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...D&body=QA#tabs
    Is that an acceptable upgrade? Is my motherboard capable of running a dual core processor? is it worth it? or should I just get a new Mobo and be done with it?

I know a lot of questions but you guys have been great when it comes to hardware. Thanks.

-Justin

Re: Socket 939 Upgrade question

The best processor for a 939 board is the Athlon FX-60, the Opteron Dualcore 185 comes a close second, then I think the Athlon 64 X2 4800+.
    Unfortunately these processors are hard to find (except on eBay) and are more expensive than a faster Intel core 2 duo.
    So my advice would be to save a bit and get a new mobo, cpu & ram.
    There is a similar thread here: http://www.totalgamingnetwork.com/ma...d.php?t=179108

Comment

As said 939 is fairly pricey.
      And ultimately be best saving a few pennies, and buying new system (motherboard, RAM and CPU)

Comment

The FX-60 is definitely a great processor. I actually passed mine down to my little brother and he plays all the time with it. If you can find any FX, they were great, but they are pretty scarce and very expensive. I even use the same motherboard, but it is pretty much obsolete by now.

I would recommend a new motherboard and either an AMD Phenom quad, or one of the Intel quads. The pricing on AMD quadss is incredibly aggressive. For example, I saw a Phenom 9650 on Newegg for $99.00 when it was on sale last week.

The price savings in DDR2 memory versus DDR1 is also something to consider. You could have a new quad core processor, 2GB RAM, and a new MoBo for around $225.00 USD. That would probably be cheaper than a new 939 processor. Just my 2 cents, but think about it. The new components would also keep you from having to buy a new computer for several more years than the 939 upgrade would.

It would be more cost-effective to buy the newer MoBo, processor, and RAM in the long run. That said, consider your options and shop around before you decide. You may find an amazing deal.

Comment

Working...
        X