Some news from ea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some news from ea

From the sounds of this article they want to move to fresh content and stop developing older titles, seem's as they don't profit from them as much, does this mean no BF3? If not why don't they just sell the liscense and let someone else develop it.

Re: Some news from ea

I believe they will keep development going for the Battlefield Series as it's one of their hottest works of Art and has set many standards in the gaming industry that we hold other developers/publishers to when judging the overall quality of other developer/publisher games.

I am guessing they if they are working on BF3 they are trying to make it more unique then the Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 1942. To give the extremely large fan base something new, fresh and surprise them, after all DICE and Crytek are on the leaders in the FPS Genre.

Plus I am sure EA knows if you want your games to be hotter then everyone else's games you need to give the hardcore gamers what they want and the general gamers will follow.

Comment

As long as I can ride my little pony that shoots rainbows out of its anus, I'll be happy with whatever they come up with for BF3.

Comment

Not so much crytek. Crysis was an epic SP game, but as far as MP goes it wasn't anything special. We'll see what Warhead has in store. I've yet to play it.
        As for BF3, I believe that it will take longer than any game ever to come out, but we're in store for something special.

I haven't lost all faith in EA just yet.
        And Heroes looks awesome.....for a FREE game <3

Comment

Yeah the multiplayer was in the Grade D category for Crysis, but as far as showing us what should and could be done with our games graphics and engine wise (along with modding) they have hit the mark. While DICE has for the past years given us what we want in our multiplayer games (large maps, large player count, large collection of vehicles and weapons with BF1942/BF2)

I just hope that DICE will give us more weapons, vehicles, and things to do in BF3 or their next Multiplayer Hit, as it keeps going down with each Battlefield release and bring back the fast action and fighting of BF1942 DC Final/BF2 as adding more is better then taking away. The nice graphical enhancements, titan, etc. where nice in BF2142 but the color selection made things seem a little dead and boring at times, Northern Strike added some freshness and with Mirror's Edge coming out soon gives us something fresh and fun to play.

I do like EA's idea of wanting to bring new things to the table, but I do hope they remember to fully support the client and server side of things and do the best work possible to bring the gamers, gsps, tournaments, and leagues the best playing experience for short and long term playing. As the unstable releases where a big hit on the game and lost many players, but DICE's willingness to push things to the edge without taking up all of a dedicated servers resources no matter how powerful, was a pretty nice thing of them to do. As they have pretty much set some pretty nice standards that I hope their other games will follow as far as server side customization. The Editor for BF2 was pretty buggy and Crytek has set the standard on the how to make an editor.

So if EA can get their server side files running smooth and almost bug free, their game editors nice and advanced like that of the Crysis Sandbox, gameplay as fun as Battlefield, fun like Mirror's Edge, and immersive like Dead Space then they will definitely meet their goals as their games will be good enough for the casual gamer but also good enough for the gamer or mod team that want to expand on the game.

One thing I do hope that EA changes is their DRM as if it can be removed completely then there is no real point for them using it for their games. As all it does in the end is give them a bad rep, causing a few problems here and there unwanted by the purchaser of the game at take a big hit on sales. If they want to keep people from playing pirated games then they should require registration for every game install, allow end users to activate/deactivate their games so they can use it on a different computer. So if they decide to install it on a friends computer after they have installed and activated the game on their computer their friend can't play because it has not been activated for their friends computer. People will always pirate games but it won't do any good if they cannot launch and or play the game. As games having install/activation limits defeats the purpose of buying a game and should only be used for services like gametap in which the users know they don't own the games they download.

Comment

I read that they want to use more than 50 percent of their resouces to develop new titles. So more than 50% ist still below 60% so let's say they still will use like 45% for older titles.
            Nothing to worry imho.

FipZ

Comment

EA has some mature products and they would not get rid of Battlefield which has been a good series. Although, I don't think BF games have risen to their level of expectations.

They really need to find a way to make the game extensible in a manner where there's not the have's and have-nots which the booster/expansion packs did to the community.

I for one, would like the next BF game to be a series of Spec Ops missions in the war against terror with maps like "Protect the Dam", "Reactor Bombing Mission", "Missile Complex" and "Hostage Rescue"... It would be cool to play as Spec Ops from a number of different countries.

Comment

True, the booster packs were pretty lame in my opinion and did nothing more than fracture the community even more than Special Forces did.
                For BF3 I'm really hoping they don't listen to the idiot masses who want to nerf every aspect of BF2 as it is. They want AA god-guns and choppers that explode if someone jumps into the gunner seat of an aircraft without a pilot already in it. Hell, I'd be pretty happy if they just put the server browser of BF2142 in BF2. One of the main things they got right with that game, really.

Comment

Yeah I would have to agree some things they should ignore like nerfing of the choppers and slowing things down. The removal of jets made BF2142 really slow. I could under stand if the space cow and the kid machine could do roles, loops, and go really fast it wouldn't be a problem but really killed of some of the greatness in air combat for the game.

As for the booster packs, yes it was a bad idea as it split the community. I believe they should have introduced more ads into the boosters to pay for them instead of charging for them and release the booster packs for free in a patch and the game would be even stronger today. I wouldn't mind looking at smart placed ads in the game or even add it as a radio ad for the game.

Comment

If they do get rid of the BF series in the future (which I highly, highly doubt), the fact remains that they have already stated that a new "hardcore PC" Battlefield is going to be announced soon. So I don't think this jeopardizes that.

Comment

Wow, a lot of really good points here. :thumbsup:

I would have prefered advertising over charging players $10 for booster packs and making them go through that online activation process which didn't work for a lot of people. My team runs Booster maps from time to time and it's relatively challenging getting the server populated. Most players just don't even want to bother with the boosters or the expansions, because you have to keep reapplying the 1.41 patch afterwords.

I for one would be perfectly fine with them releasing booster packs for free with 1.5, which of course they would never do. Me and my teammates paid for them and rarely play them anyways because nobody else does.

I also agree that the next BF game needs to have more content, to keep it from getting boring: more maps, armies, weapons and vehicles. I'd gladly pay extra $$ up front if they skip the booster/expansion hassles and just release the additional content in patches/updates.

And I hope they don't forget to make the game FUN, not just something "pretty" that is best suited for televising pro competitions on the game channel. Don't forget about the weekend warriors who just want to blow off steam after a rough week at the day job, business or university. And please, please, please let the testers determine when the game is ready to release, not some greedy, impatient exec who is completely out of touch with the customers.

Comment

Cold War BF would be epic. Nuf' said.

Russian tanks in Western Europe ftw.

Comment

I think the main point is they don't want to do Madden 17 or NCAA 9

Those sports games tend to blur and become indistinct from one another.

It doesn't mean BF3 has been scrapped.

Comment

EA / DICE either didn't foresee or address these issues in time (or at all)...
                            1. Padding.
                            2. Splitting the community with add ons.
                            3. Ranking mods.
                            4. Bugs (esp. the 1.3 server crashes and red bug).
                            5. Exploits of game logic (e.g. forced tk's).
                            6. Gamespys inadequate account hosting.
                            7. Fix points (e.g. you can spend the longest helping cap and get no points).
                            8. Fix tardery (e.g. after not performing any commander actions for 4 mins you are auto resigned).

To make the game a continuing success they need to...
                            1. Fix all above as they make players leave.
                            2. Make it more immersive (weather, wildlife etc).
                            3. Stop dumbing down the variability of the game (vehicle/map numbers etc).
                            4. Enhance features (e.g. within vehicle voip).
                            5. Make spawncamping harder (e.g. let you circle your spawn in 3rd person before spawning).

And too many other things to list here.

Comment

auto patching a la TF2 with auto map updating that works the same. Ok your load times can get pretty long but you can click on any game in the server list and play it

Comment

Working...
                              X