Gunners who bail out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gunners who bail out

I love flying the gunship and don't mind taking random gunners with me. Sure you get the guys that chain gun the walkers when you line them up for a TV but more often than not you get people who are pretty darn good with the TV and i have alot of fun flying them around killing everything in site.

What irks me most is when you get a gunner that bails at the slightest sign of trouble. If we are going head to head with another gunship and he does not have a gunner we are at the advantage. Theres nothing worse than fighting another gunship and you have survived the first missle barage, you have them weakened to the point that your co-pilot should easily mop them up with the chain gun and you realize he bailed out 10 seconds ago. 90% of the time they have bailed to their death anyway. I guess i just wish that people would wait to bail out till the last possible moment. Bailing out of a gunship with 50 health is annoying, stay and help your pilot! End rant.

Re: Gunners who bail out

yeah even worse are the ones who bail out over a flag when you are at 100% health. i'm like why the heck did you get in the gunship and not the transport?

sometimes i bail out if i get a pilot who insists on needless crazy acrobatics and won't give me a chance to gun down anything by going too fast or doing constant twist and turns. and also those idiots that have to fly in between and underneath every thing and crash. i can't stand those showoff pilots.

Comment

I hate them and love them. If I'm flying with the intention of having a gunner, and they're competent, then I HATE it if they bail particularly mid-dogfight as killerus said. Somewhat cripples you if you don't realise it happening (at least, if I knew they bailed I could seat switch and take out the opponent with a TV).

However sometimes if I want to fly solo and some moron jumps into the second seat spraying the spam-cannon at anything that's remotely orange-tinted on suez, I'll fly upside down for a minute or feign crashing to get them to bail out... most of them do :P

As far as I'm concerned myself, I'll stay in the gunship if they're a good pilot and considerate of the fact they have a gunner, like Minmaster says. Flying around at max speed low-altitude so TV's don't stand a chance at connecting and doing 20 loop the loops as soon as the lock-on sound starts is enough to make me get bored very quickly.

Comment

I only play Battlefield 2 and Battlefield Vietnam but I agree with you on that.
        It's just so annoying when they can't decide what they want.I usually stay to the end if the helicopter pilot is worth it.Because there are guys who know how to fly a jet or a helicopter and even position it well for the gunner to take out the enemies on the ground and there are guy who crash it in 5 seconds they get in it or just....fly around for no reason...you know...just to sea the view from up there....

Comment

I like being a gunner. I don't like it when the pilot bails and doesn't say anything and there's still 40 hp left! A true pilot will stay until he is in the red.

Comment

Originally posted by messfeeder View Post
            I like being a gunner. I don't like it when the pilot bails and doesn't say anything and there's still 40 hp left! A true pilot will stay until he is in the red.
            11HP I believe is the magic number the amount of times I've gotten away from a fight at that number and survived whilst my gunner has gone "OH CRAP WE'RE BEING SHOT AT" at around 30 is somewhat typical of peoples lack of confidence in other players :P

Comment

im not quite good enough at soloing so gunning is nice.

if the pilot is good i will stay with them and try to help them

if the pilot is bad and i can forsee that he will die regardless of my help i will jump out when we get in trouble

90% of the time i am right and he dies very shortly after

Comment

I don't play anymore, but when I did I could simply NOT gun for anyone... Call it trust issues I guess. I think more of it was the fact that they wouldn't line me up for TV Shots, and they wouldn't allow chain gunning of infantry. When I pilot and have a gunner, I know that even though the gunner might be a moron I can line up the shots so all he has to do is click and let go of the mouse to hit...

So, its trust issues+ the knowledge that I can do a better job at flying xD

Now if its one of my clan mates or another avid gunshipper (that I know), I will gun for them (and normally get some scores that are out of this world )

Comment

Originally posted by Killerus View Post
                  I love flying the gunship and don't mind taking random gunners with me. Sure you get the guys that chain gun the walkers when you line them up for a TV but more often than not you get people who are pretty darn good with the TV and i have alot of fun flying them around killing everything in site.

What irks me most is when you get a gunner that bails at the slightest sign of trouble. If we are going head to head with another gunship and he does not have a gunner we are at the advantage. Theres nothing worse than fighting another gunship and you have survived the first missle barage, you have them weakened to the point that your co-pilot should easily mop them up with the chain gun and you realize he bailed out 10 seconds ago. 90% of the time they have bailed to their death anyway. I guess i just wish that people would wait to bail out till the last possible moment. Bailing out of a gunship with 50 health is annoying, stay and help your pilot! End rant.
                  I would love to have a gunner for the entire round, but right when you could really use a gunner, you realize he is not there! I wish people were more team work minded, they fail to realize that a good crew in a gunship ir even a transport can own the battlefield.

Comment

add me and i'll gun for you. Haven't played with a gunship in a while so it sounds like fun. IGN: messfeeder

Comment

Originally posted by messfeeder View Post
                      add me and i'll gun for you. Haven't played with a gunship in a while so it sounds like fun. IGN: messfeeder

I had a gunner for an entire round on our Snakes lair server and man did we rack up the body count!:yay:

Comment

Originally posted by Lolyn View Post
                        However sometimes if I want to fly solo and some moron jumps into the second seat spraying the spam-cannon at anything that's remotely orange-tinted on suez, I'll fly upside down for a minute or feign crashing to get them to bail out... most of them do :P
                        I actually find there are quite a few like you. Guys who beeline for the gunship, and then take off as fast as they can so that they don't take a gunner. Any gunship is much more powerful with a gunner. Usually what happens is the guy get shot down by the enemy gunship (complete with gunner).

I have started to play on boards which don't have the gunship for a very simple reason. Everyone fights to get in one and ignores what is going on around them. I can't tell you how many times our Titan had one console left, with only 2 of us defending it, I spawn to run back down and try to hold them off and pass 6 guys all standing around waiting for the gunship to appear. Gunships can be an asset, but most of the time they are a total distraction. I actually like the rounds (when I used to play them) when the enemy got both gunships because they would spend their time lazily flying around looking for targets out in the open while we capped all of the silos. We would win almost every time.

DD.

Comment

Originally posted by Dare978Devil View Post
                          I actually find there are quite a few like you. Guys who beeline for the gunship, and then take off as fast as they can so that they don't take a gunner. Any gunship is much more powerful with a gunner. Usually what happens is the guy get shot down by the enemy gunship (complete with gunner).

DD.

Woah woah woah... Gunship + CRAP gunner does NOT beat an awesome gunship solo pilot. Simple, I've spent far too many titan matches flying around on my own wasting gunner+pilot combinations simply because they've been inadequate (that and given TV missile on a gunship is a one hit kill... it's easy). A GOOD gunner with a GOOD pilot can easily stop a solo pilot, but a bad gunner is nothing more than a handicap stopping the pilot from using his full potential, especially when said bad gunner could be on the ground taking silos. So no, there is an exception to what you're saying there. Try flying around with a moron who fires the chain gun at armour and doesn't attempt to use either TV's or the spotting system at any point for a bit. Pilot + noob gunner flies at walker, pilot fires rockets, gunner chain guns him... walker anti-airs gunship for lol kills. Pilot flies at walker, TV missiles him and cleans up the mess with 3 rockets... instant win. The only scenario that beats the latter is the good gunner and pilot combo, whereby the same thing happens but twice as fast, and any escaping infantry get mopped up too.

Sometimes, you're the only person you can depend on. Trying to fly with a gunner who's not used to your abilities, habits and flying style is incredibly frustrating, not to mention unreliable. So they miss the tank that's anti-airing you, they don't kill the guy in the AA who's slamming emp's into your ***, they completely ignore the man with the SAAW standing on the tower you just spotted for him, they don't spot the gunship that's in their field of view but not yours, and when they TV missile it draws pretty patterns in the air with its inaccuracy. Yeah, I'd be MUCH better off with them in my gunner seat robbing me of my ability to make a difference with the vehicle.

And if the enemy has 2 gunships, and you have none, and you're still taking all the silos with ease... then you must be playing against real noobs (especially if people are waiting for the gunship when the shields are down... APC's rule the map then). 2 un-opposed gunships flying in the air with good skill can EASILY terrorise a map, especially if they are good gunner+pilot combos, and given that most titan maps are played with ~20 players per team, there's still plenty (up to 16) on the floor capping silos. I know I for one target silos that have just been neutralised with TV missiles to stop the full-capture, provided you've got smart thinkers doing the work in the sky, you can happily dominate a map including stopping the enemy taking silos (your only handicap being that you cannot take them yourself). I do agree though, that most of the time gunships are a distraction, simply because the majority of pilots are kill hunters, not objective hunters... but you CAN be both.

Comment

What I fail to understand is why exactly gunship gunners bail out at the first sight of trouble while air transport passengers need nothing short of a bulldozer to take them out of their seat?

I just got back from a session where this happened. I approach my location and expect all six passengers to bail out because it's the back flag and nobody's guarding it. Surprise: nobody gets out.

I spam bail out. No go.

I get attacked by a gunship.

Someone boards an AA gun and begins to shoot at me.

I spam bail out 'till I get blocked.

Nope!

I got killed, and so did my six passengers despite all of them having at least 8 seconds to get out.

My only reward was a teammate sarcastically going on team chat "nice flyin"

I wish I could ****ing kill people across the Internet...

Comment

The only solution to the transport bailing problem is... bailing yourself. Yet I find only 50% of players actually notice that one too :P The rest prefer to plummet and fail.

Comment

Working...
                              X