Witch One Is Better, Please Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Witch One Is Better, Please Help

Am getting a new computer build for me (as i know very little about rigs) on a internet site, and i will be ordering on TUE, but i have been met with a problem.

The computer am having built has the dual core E8400 2X 3.00GHz, 1333 FSB processor.

But i have just noticed that for the very same price i could go with the quad core Q6600 4X 2.40GHz, 1066 FSB processor.

Both will be run as standard and will NEVER be overclocked.

The dual core has the higher clock speed and higher FSB but only 2 cores, but am not sure what i have to gain in going for the quad core as i don't think many if any games support quad core at this time anyway.

I will only be useing my computer for gaming.

I also can't afford any other processors so please only give advice on the 2 listed here please.

THANKS in advance.

Re: Witch One Is Better, Please Help

The E8400 seems to perform better in games, but that is probably because games don't utilise all the cores yet.
    Here's the 2 cpu's compared
    The complete chart is here

Comment

For gaming, E8400 due to higher clock speeds.

For multitasking, Q6000.

Shame on you for not overclocking. You could get so much more performance out of it.

Comment

Thank you for your imput guy's, the order has now been placed and i went for the E8400.

Thanks once again.

Comment

good choice.
          "Crunch's First Officer"
          twitter: @signaprime

Comment

for games now, the dual core and quad core for future proofing.

dunno bout your mobo, but you can easily get 3.0 ghz out of the Q6600 by doing a BSEL mod or tape mod.

Comment

You can use conductive pen as well!

Comment

You should have gone with the Quad Core - all gamers do is multitask...

Comment

Originally posted by Ci2e View Post
                  You should have gone with the Quad Core - all gamers do is multitask...
                  Wrong. For gaming, higher clock speeds are more beneficial, especially since not a lot of games are multithreaded.

Comment

Originally posted by Minmaster
                    for games now, the dual core and quad core for future proofing.

dunno bout your mobo, but you can easily get 3.0 ghz out of the Q6600 by doing a BSEL mod or tape mod.
                    It's not really future proofing because by the time quad-core becomes the standard there will be much better ones out making the current ones out dated.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomeis View Post
                      It's not really future proofing because by the time quad-core becomes the standard there will be much better ones out making the current ones out dated.
                      I suspect dual and quads will be around for a while now, but like a few years ago, they'll go through numerous architecture changes to find their optimum design.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex98uk View Post
                        I suspect dual and quads will be around for a while now, but like a few years ago, they'll go through numerous architecture changes to find their optimum design.
                        Yeah but it would be like before core2duo. Someone going from Pentium 4 to Pentium D might have seen that as future-proofing without realizing that better, and faster dual-cores (core2duo) were coming out not long after.

Comment

Oh yeah, there is no such thing as future proofing in the technology market

Comment

That's funny comparing the weakest Quad Core with one of the best Core 2 Duos, no wonder the Core 2 Duo is better in this situation spend and extra $100 and the Quad Core will be on top...

Comment

Originally posted by Ci2e View Post
                              That's funny comparing the weakest Quad Core with one of the best Core 2 Duos, no wonder the Core 2 Duo is better in this situation spend and extra $100 and the Quad Core will be on top...
                              Well if you have an E8400 at 4.0ghz it will still be better than an overclocked quad-core. The quad-core only wins (in games) if it's clocked higher than the dual-core, and the E8400 is hard to beat when it comes to how easy it can be overclocked and it's price is good too.

Comment

Working...
                              X