Bunkpuster is driving me crazy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bunkpuster is driving me crazy!

Almost every time I connect to a server I am immediately kicked out for "punkbusterB service communication failure". I've reinstalled PB (several times), updated it, even tried copying it from my other computer. The only way I can fix it is to load a map, wait to get kicked out, exit BF2, end PBA process, log back in, join the server, and pray to have more than 15 fps.

I think it might be related to my video card (7600GTagp), but I've tried several drivers to no avail. Now it's even happening on my secondary computer (for which I just got another 7600GT).

Sometimes it takes me more than half an hour just to get on a server. Then, when the game/server crashes, I have to start from scratch. Please, somebody help me.

Re: Bunkpuster is driving me crazy!

If it's happening on 2 computers, i think it's a router or ISP issue, not Punkbuster.

Comment

Unlikely. I have comcast and a hub, not a router. Also, one of the computers connects to the cable modem and the other ones share. I didn't have the problem on my secondary until I installed the 7600GT. Thanks for the suggestion; I could try my old hub later.

Comment

Sorry for being vague, is there a pb_sleep command where you can set it to only update once in a while?

Sorry for being vague, is there a pb_sleep command where you can set it to only update once in a while?

Comment

I've got a 7600GT as well and that's never the cause of my PB problems. Try running your anti-spyware program and clearing out all the **** that could be hiding in your computer. That worked for me the last time PB was acting up.

Comment

@tasty: pb_sleep is set to 500
            @tasty: pb_sleep is set to 500

@laika: Is your card agp? What drivers are you using?

I'm thinking I might reinstall BF2, but that's always a pain. I'll try some anti-virus/spyware and see what happens first. Thanks.

Comment

Nah it's either PCI or PCI-e. Good luck getting your game to work though.

Comment

After years without problems I occassionly have the same problem. You have to realize there are Punkbuster files you update in your pb-directory of the game by using the PunkbusterSetup program and you have the Punkbuster services running at your computer. The services can be reinstalled by using the PunkbusterServices(Re)Install program. Usually the service PunkbusterA is already running and when connecting to a server there is an attempt to start the PunkbusterB service. Failing to start the PunkbusterB service results in your error-message. Unfortunately I dont know why it happens but a reinstall of the services fixes it for that moment. The next time you boot your computer it could happen again in my experience.

Comment

My brother was getting the message tonight, and then his girlfriend came in and bumped him off the compuder completely.

He turned it off and she threw a fit, lots of bitching - just like this forum but in real laif.

Comment

When you reinstalled PB, did you follow these instructions: http://support.electronicarts.co.uk/...opview=1&skin=

I suddenly got problems with my PB, after I followed these instructions, the problems went away.

Comment

Is it the "pnkbstrB handshake error"? I've been getting that all the time, I've tried everything I can think of. Sometimes I get into a game though, with no problem at all. Haven't figured out where the problem lies yet.

Will check out that link AngelSoul gave. Ta.

Edit: Ok, yep, I've already done that, lol. Hope it works for you though.

Out of interest how long does it take you to load a map? My computer is really slow these days, back when BF2 was released it would load a map in a couple of mins, now it takes litterally 20-25mins. I'm wondering whether by that time Punkbuster assumes it's had no communication and there's an error, not that my PC is just flipping slow.

Comment

system tools, Defrag

Comment

The solution that worked for me is downloading the most recent Punkbuster service installprogram here: http://www.evenbalance.com/downloads/pbsvc/pbsvc.exe

- Run the program, uninstall the services, be sure to run it as Administrator when using Vista
                          - reboot
                          - Run the program, install the services, be sure to run it as Administrator when using Vista

Your firewall of course need to allow PnkbstrA to use port 44301 and allow PnkbstrB to use port 45301.

Comment

I just get shaky hand

Comment

Mcafee blocks both punkbusters every time they update. Try checking you firewall and allow them access. You might not have mcaffe but I suppose norton or whatever would do something similar.

Comment

Working...
                              X