Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BF2 Help.....!!

Hi,

I have a problem that I just can't seem to resolve with BF2 in that it will not play 'smoothly' on my PC, even though I have an average FPS of 95-100. During multi-player rounds FPS never drops below 95, however the game still 'stutters' / 'freezes momentarily' enough to crash a jet / get owned etc, and I just can't seem to resolve why? Any thoughts / advice?? I have tried the CPU affinity to 1 core only, but does not solve the problem. I also have the same issue on BF 2142!!

PC spec is ;

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (not overclocked)
    Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe
    4GB OCZ Reaper HPC Edition - PC2-6400
    BFG GTX 260 OC
    Hiper Type RII 880w PSU
    500GB SpinPoint

Thanks in advance for all responses!!

Re: BF2 Help.....!!

Could be a number of things:

Poor performance of XP 64bit (it's known for being a poor OS)
    Fragmented hard disk
    Poor Internet Connection
    Graphics driver problems

Comment

Thanks for the reply Alex, this is driving me insane!

Currently have just reinstalled my OS to x64 because I was lead to believe it was more stable than a 32bit OS and only have BF2 installed and de fragmented after installation. I'm on a 4000 kb/s broadband service with Plusnet, average ping in game is around 50. The GTX260 is a new card but I suffered the same with my old 8800 GTS OC2 640Mb card so more inclined it is either 1 or 3 from your list.

What is the ideal connection speed required for optimal game play? I have also noted an older post to do with PB, so will try a manual update to see if that helps.

Thanks again.

Comment

XP 64bit is not more stable in anyway. It's a poor operating system. If you want 64bit, Vista X64 is the way to go. It's a lot more stable and complete. Otherwise, go for 32bit XP and see if that makes a difference.

Some people don't have issues with Xp 64bit but the vast majority of people do. Oh, one more question, are you using wireless Internet?

Comment

Yes I am using wireless internet connection, could it be that simple?? D'oh!!

Comment

Yup. If it's just a freeze in gameplay every minute(s) or so and then fine the rest of the time, i think its' your wireless connection. My brother has the same problem.

One way to get around this is to not use Windows Wireless Zero Configuration and instead use the software that came with your wireless card to manage the connection. However, this can be a pain to set up (especially with 64bit XP) and won't necessarily solve your problem.

The easiest fix is to use a cable. I run an Internet cable from one room, up into the roof, across my attic and then down a hole into my room. Works a treat.

Comment

It ain't that hard to set up.

First connect using the Windows inbuilt software, then go to

Start --> Settings --> Network Connections --> Right Click your wireless connection and select properties --> Scroll down until you find the option 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)' click it and then select properties.

Copy down all IP addresses and what they relate too.

Now disconnect from the network

Install or access your wireless device's bespoke software.

Many of them will detect and set up automatically but for those that don't you should be able to access the advanced settings and then create your own connection profile. In this case you'll usually have to select the network you wish to connect to from a list of those that it can find. You should then be able insert the values you wrote down earlier in to a similar looking set up menu. You will also need to know the password to gain access to your network.

Once done some software will have an option that allows you to turn off Windows Zero Configuration. Some doesn't. To turn it off completely,

Start --> Run --> type 'services'. Find the option called 'Windows Zero Configuration'. Right Click you should then be able to set it to never start.

Comment

Working...
              X