pilots... (joystick content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pilots... (joystick content)

what joystick do you use to fly and how much of an improvement is it from using keyboard/mouse

(dont post if you dont or havent used a joystick!)

Re: pilots... (joystick content)

I use a Saitek X52 when I fly - but use a m+k in BF2.

Improvement over M+K (being honest) is minimal - it helps you turn a bit more precisely, but because BF2 does not require much precision, it wasn't worth it to switch to a stick everytime I got in a jet.

Comment

I dont use a joystick, but I have tried it and the Mouse and Keybaord are much better

Comment

I use a logitech attack 3 (about $20). I really can't imagine flying without it now, after so much time. I tired using the keyboard at first, but it's so incredibly imprecise; there is nothing between down+left or up+right, etc. I can fly with the keyboard, but I can't shoot down enemy jets by any other means than a fluke.

I guess I should mention I also use the joy for flying helos. I've tried the mouse, and it works well, but I just prefer the joy.

Comment

Originally posted by Chael
          I use a logitech attack 3 (about $20). I really can't imagine flying without it now, after so much time. I tired using the keyboard at first, but it's so incredibly imprecise; there is nothing between down+left or up+right, etc. I can fly with the keyboard, but I can't shoot down enemy jets by any other means than a fluke.

I guess I should mention I also use the joy for flying helos. I've tried the mouse, and it works well, but I just prefer the joy.
          Most... "experienced" keyboard users (referring to Battlefield Series vets) use the mouse in combination with the keyboard - keyboard for generic flying, and mouse to help aim/shoot down jets.

BF2's avionics are defined by a few simple inputs: rudder left, rudder right, x amount of ailerons, and y amount of elevators. Therefore, while joysticks can help with precision in achieving X1, X2, etc., it isn't required to be succesful against the targets that BF2 presents. Why do I say this? The simplistic HUD allows for idiot-proof weapon usage - I won't make this an argument about realism, I'm just stating my reasons for why using m+k is just as useful (with practice) as a joystick.

In my eyes, the BIGGEST advantage to having a joystick (if it has one) is the throttle. On a keyboard, you have to constantly tap w to maintain a given speed, while on a throttle you can set it at a specific level and focus solely on maneuvers.

Comment

it was more aimed at flying in a helicopter ingame but thanks for the answers anyway guys

Comment

Whatever I fly, I use the joystick for it. Nothing like constant input and throttle control. But that goes back to playing flight simulator years before BF2.

I have also a Saitek X52.

Comment

Originally posted by [NF] Kodak' View Post
                Most... "experienced" keyboard users (referring to Battlefield Series vets) use the mouse in combination with the keyboard - keyboard for generic flying, and mouse to help aim/shoot down jets.

BF2's avionics are defined by a few simple inputs: rudder left, rudder right, x amount of ailerons, and y amount of elevators. Therefore, while joysticks can help with precision in achieving X1, X2, etc., it isn't required to be succesful against the targets that BF2 presents. Why do I say this? The simplistic HUD allows for idiot-proof weapon usage - I won't make this an argument about realism, I'm just stating my reasons for why using m+k is just as useful (with practice) as a joystick.

In my eyes, the BIGGEST advantage to having a joystick (if it has one) is the throttle. On a keyboard, you have to constantly tap w to maintain a given speed, while on a throttle you can set it at a specific level and focus solely on maneuvers.
                I have a variable throttle as you mentioned, and it is extremely useful in dogfights.

Honestly I haven't given much thought to using the keyboard and the mouse for controlling the direction of my jet. At present I only use the keyboard for flares, changing weapons, and changing views. It does sound like a good way to achieve a balance of precision and range of movement. Really I just prefer the joystick because I'm used to it and because many J10s have fallen at the mercy of my stick.

As for helos.... I fly helos a little different than most people I think. I think if your goal in flying is to line up your gunner for TV shots, then maybe a mouse would be better. I personally don't like TVs, or gunners for that matter; I use the pilot's missiles almost exclusively. I also don't roll my chopper whenever a missile comes my way, I dodge them side to side. A joystick seems to suit this style quite well, and I believe it gives a greater feel for how the chopper is moving. It's easier to give a gunner steady shots with a mouse, simply because it's easier to hover with a mouse, but that also makes it easier to die.

I should also add that some stunts are easier with specific controls; for instance flipping the F35 is easier with a keyboard.

This subject has been debated forever, so I just say to each his/her own.

Comment

I think the arrow keys on the keyboard can do as good as a joystick and mouse works, but its better for helis.

Comment

I use a joystick (logitech Extreme 3d Pro) for flying jets and find it much easier than a K&M combo. However for a heli, its K&M all the way.

Comment

saitek evo for flying jets and K&M all the way with the choppers

Comment

Originally posted by K-mitt View Post
                        it was more aimed at flying in a helicopter ingame but thanks for the answers anyway guys
                        Honestly, there is no reason to get a joystick for choppers.

The top jet pilots in BF2 use Joystick.

The top chopper pilots in BF2 use mouse and keyboard.

It's just easier. Trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by p-n*Cynic~Gunner View Post
                          Honestly, there is no reason to get a joystick for choppers.

The top jet pilots in BF2 use Joystick.

The top chopper pilots in BF2 use mouse and keyboard.

It's just easier. Trust me.
                          ^ the truth.
                          "Crunch's First Officer"
                          twitter: @signaprime

Comment

I've been flying choppers since Desert Combat with m+k. I was told it was impossible. lol So I mastered it and look where we are today - everyone is doing it.

I too have a saitek x52, it's in the closet. I use it for flight sims. I think the $20 variety of J-stick with a small throttle knob is the way to go for Jets.

It's been debated forever and it all comes down to what is more comfortable for you. Practice with all of the above. M+K, K, J-stick, Steering Wheel (lol you'd be surprised!) and just use what feels natural.

Chael the roll over pilots do is so annoying!!!!!!! Why is it in 3 yrs, no one knows how to dodge a missile?!?!?!?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by finc.hairy View Post
                              Chael the roll over pilots do is so annoying!!!!!!! Why is it in 3 yrs, no one knows how to dodge a missile?!?!?!?!?!
                              :laugh:

I'd like to see you guys dodge me by "moving side to side" hahaha

Comment

Working...
                              X