Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better BF2 gaming with these easy tweaks

try this, I've found it helps.
    Reduce the Number of Punkbuster Checks: Punkbuster, as you probably know, is the anti cheating software which comes bundled with BF2 and is required to play on all ranked servers and most public servers. Punkbuster scans your hard-drive for problems every 20 seconds. As you may have guessed, this causes a lot of lag. What we are going to do in this fix is to increase the amount of time in between punkbuster checks to 500 seconds (the maximum amount so don't try anything higher lol). By the way, in case you were worried, this is 100% safe with punkbuster, and will NOT cause any problems with Punkbuster thinking you are a cheater. Punkbuster even recommends this fix on their website. To do this you need to:
    1. Join any BF2 online server which is running punkbuster, preferably a ranked one.
    2. Once you are in, and respawned somewhere, press the `~(Tilda) key. This key is located on most keyboards above the tab key and to the left of the 1 key.
    3. A large white box should drop down with a load of text in it. Type "pb_sleep 500" and hit the enter key.
    4. Once you have done this, make sure the box is still up and type "pb_writecfg" to save your settings.

Rename BF2.exe

Although the exact reason why this fix improves the gameplay is unknown, but it is probably that Ati and Nvidia recognise the program BF2.exe as one of their own, so by renaming the file, you turn the game into a normal program, not a resource hungry dinosaur! In 90% of cases this has been known to cause some increase in performance in-game. To do this follow these steps:
    1. The first thing you do is find your game directory, the default is C:\Program Files\EA Games\Battlefield 2
    2. Once you have found the directory, locate the file BF2.exe, right click, and select properties.
    3. You will then need to change the text in the white box which says "BF2", above the directory on the general tab, you can change it to anything you want! for simplicity, I changed it to BF21.exe once you have done this, CLICK APPLY!
    4. The fix is now officially done, but the shortcut on your desktop will now no longer work. To change this, delete the shortcut on your desktop, goto the game directory, and right click on the newly renamed file. Click Send To, then Desktop (Create Shortcut) and you will now have a working shortcut on your desktop!

Re: Better BF2 gaming with these easy tweaks

I've heard of the Punkbuster tweak, but not the renaming the BF2.exe. Interesting, I'll have to try this.

Comment

Not surte the .exe tweak will work as there are ,ots of files in B2 that look for the bf2.exe executable. Also, Punk Buster could see this as a possible hack or cheat which would simply boot you out of the game.

Comment

Great thank you

Comment

I'd like to point out that Vista is s**t and renaming the .exe will make your mini-Bill Gates box explode.

Do your shortcuts first. Change the file name THEN click OK in the shortcut options you should already have up.

Vista Home Premium x64

Edit: Oh and you get a DirectX error if you change the file name. Don't do it.

Comment

Originally posted by AKULA View Post
            Not surte the .exe tweak will work as there are ,ots of files in B2 that look for the bf2.exe executable. Also, Punk Buster could see this as a possible hack or cheat which would simply boot you out of the game.
            There are not. Doesn't matter what the .Exe is called,and I found renaming it does give a slight boost in preformance

Comment

Working...
            X