setting up server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• setting up server

Hey is there anyone one out there that can help with setting up a server, it is a SCI server and dosen't show much on how to config the server for mods as well as the ftp for downloading maps, would like to get it set up for multi maps and open weapons, just want to have fun... Any help sure would be nice the server is in Texas

Lightning66

USARMY Med Retired:salute:

Re: setting up server

Ok... on SCI > Turn off your server (I always upload when SCI/the server is off, else you'll end up with trying to overwrite files that are in use etc. etc.)

Now on your FTP lets say you want to upload the OpenWarfare mod.

Simply go to the folder "Mods" (which should be located in CoD4/ folder) by default you should only have "ModWarfare" folder and posssibly "CustomMaps" folder inside the "Mods" folder.

Now upload a folder named "openwarfare" and upload the OpenWarfare mod.ff file, and the z_openwarfare.iwd file, into that folder.

For custom maps, you want to go the "Usermaps" folder which is in the CoD4/ folder. However by default there is no Usermaps folder, so you'll need to create a folder named "Usermaps"

Now lets say you want to upload Pripyat - you should have the map folder named: mp_pripyat - and inside this folder there should be the 3 map files: mp_pripyat.ff mp_pripyat.iwd and mp_pripyat_load.ff
    The mp_pripyat.ff file is basically the main map file, it's usually about 40-60mb big.
    The mp_pripyat.iwd should only contain images, like the compass image (in .iwi format) - usually this file is between 3-20mb depending on how many custom images (or sounds) the map uses.
    The mp_pripyat_load.ff is usually very small

Ok so now on your Server (on the ftp) you should have:

Mods/OpenWarfare (with the 2 files for the mod, also note some mods have 3 files for a mod - they sometimes have a _svr_ iwd file, which means its SERVER only and clients do not need this file, so it doesn't need to be on the redirect server)
    Usermaps/mp_pripyat/ (with the 3 files for the map)

Now go back to SCI, go to your server, click on the "Configuration" tab.
    Now click on "Parameters" below that, and you can pick what config to load and what mod to load when turning on the server.

This is what the link should have at the top of your URL browser: (note I don't think you'd be able to just click this, since if you have several game servers it will just go to the one you last used - so you'd have to go to the exact server you want to administer first then the Config > Param tabs)

Ok now that you're on the right page for your server.

If the default server config is : server.cfg - then make sure inside your Mods/OpenWarfare folder that you have a server.cfg present (and that it executes all the other config files that OpenWarfare has, make sure the map rotation is the last thing that occurs - e.g. maprotation.cfg gets executed last)

Change the Default Mod to the OpenWarfare one, which is currently named: "set fs_game mods/openwarfare"

Then click Update Startup Parameters. Turn the server back on, and try connecting - it should be running the OpenWarfare mod!

If you were doing a different mod, and you can't find the mod in the drop down list for the serverdetail-param page (the Parameters under Configuration page) then you can submit a ticket and request that your mod be added.

For example you may have your own clan mod named "usarmymod" which runs from mods/usarmymod - so you'll need to request that it is added.

Hope this helps, SCI at first is pretty confusing but once you get used to it, it's really good and useful!

Comment

Hello Dan,

Thanks for the help. If you could clarify a few points:

1) "Now upload a folder named "openwarfare" and upload the OpenWarfare mod.ff file, and the z_openwarfare.iwd file, into that folder." So once you decide on a mod to run, you have to upload components of the mod into the mod folder because the server doesn't in this particular game server provider? From where does one get the mod.ff files & mod .iwd files for any particular mod one chooses to run?

2)" If the default server config is : server.cfg - then make sure inside your Mods/OpenWarfare folder that you have a server.cfg present (and that it executes all the other config files that OpenWarfare has, make sure the map rotation is the last thing that occurs - e.g. maprotation.cfg gets executed last)"

This is one of the places that confuses me. There is a server config & a config for the mod in the mod folder, right? So wouldn't the server.cfg in the main folder be the same no matter what mod you're running as it configs different setting than the mod config in the mod folder? This default config in the first line of "Game Server Startup Paramaters", is this the server.cfg in main or the mod config in the mod folder? If it's the mod config, are you just telling the server what name .cfg to look for in the mod folder or is it loading some setting somewhere that I haven't found?

Comment

1) With SCI, you can only setup the startup parameter (to pick your mod to use) - it doesn't download the mod files and put them on the server for you... the main reason for this is because there are so many mods, and so many new versions of mods and also because you probably use a differenct redirect IP - compared to a different server provider which uses one large box to store all it's files (but has several accounts with say 10gb space each)
        So if you need to download a mod, first find out what mod you want. Then you can search for the mod in google adding 'cod4' to your search and you should find the link to download the mod.
        However, here's some for you:
        eXtreme+ Mod
        RSM Mod & Tactical Night Mod
        AWE 4 Mod
        Tactical Realism Mod - SpacePig the coder for TRM has recently joined the OpenWarfare team and hopes to move TRM into OW, sorta thing
        OpenWarfare Mod - What's great about this, is if you know coding you can add, tweak this mod to how you want it to be - since it's all open source! But if you don't you can request features to be implemented in the forums, and it'll get looked into.

2) The default server config -> the one in main/ is basically just there to setup the server, it's the same config for all CoD4 servers through your game server provider. You can edit it to how you want...
        Now when you set the 'default config' from the drop down list... this would be the config it would load first, for example our servers execute battle.cfg which is ONLY inside our Mod/bfe folder.
        So basically when you set what mod you want to load, and if you have say the 'main' config for that mod named: main_server.cfg - then you'd need to load that one from the drop down list (however if main_server.cfg isn't on that drop down list, you'll have to request it to be added or just use another name for your config and pick a different config to load e.g. Xfire.cfg -> then just rename your main_server.cfg to Xfire.cfg and it will load up fine)

I guess you could also leave server.cfg in main/ folder - and leave the startup config to be server.cfg - then edit server.cfg to exec "my_mod.cfg" - where that config file would be the "server.cfg" renamed... however I haven't tried this way, so not too sure if it will work. But that way you won't end up with any kind of conflicts between the names of the two server.cfg files.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Ok, thanks for the help. =) However, there's information in the server.cfg that isn't in the mod configs like: allowing voice, pb, possible http redirects, etc. Would one just combine the necessary information from the config in main to the mod config or write a line of code in the mod config directing it to read the config in main also?

One other thing, just to test it, I uploaded a custom map to the server, went in to download it & for some reason it's only downloading off the server @ 6 kb/s? Is there any way to fix this? I have the "usermaps" folder in the root directory alongside miles, main etc.

Thanks for all the help.

If there is a manual I can read to save you answering these questions, I would be happy to read that.

Comment

When it downloads at 6 kb/s - it usually means it's not on the Redirect server OR you haven't setup the redirect server correctly (either the actual server isn't setup, or the commands for cod4 e.g. the ones in the default server.cfg haven't been executed)

What I did, was I've kept the server.cfg (that default one) in main, just as a backup incase we ever need it.

Then I edited the "main.cfg" to include the nessesary commands that are in the default server.cfg - like setting up pb/voice/rcon/redirect. Then at the end of main.cfg add a line like: exec rotation.cfg - This will then execute the rotation config (which would be inside the mods/ folder!)

On your Redirect server... lets say you have a folder named: "gameservers"
            and lets say the IP to your redirect was: "127.0.0.1"
            Then inside gameservers/ folder, create two folders named: "Mods" and "usermaps"
            Inside the Mods folder you would place the Mod name and it's contents (no need to place the _svr_ iwd file if you have one! because all _svr iwd files are only used on the server and won't get downloaded anyway, but not many mods use an _svr iwd file)
            Inside the usermaps folder you would place your custom map folder and it's contents.

Now your redirect commands should be:
            Code:
            // Client Download Settings (0=off/1=on)
            set sv_allowdownload "1"
            seta sv_wwwDownload "1"
            seta sv_wwwBaseURL "http://127.0.0.1/gameservers/"
            seta sv_wwwDlDisconnected "0"
            Got it?

I'm not sure if there is a manual, as such, anywhere around I know I didn't get one and just had to pickup as I went, breaking servers then fixing them :lol: and I like helping people Feel free to ask as many questions as you want...

Comment

Thanks again for the help. =) I understood all of that, except the rotation config. What is that?
              As far as a redirect server, I have "//" in front of it so that it would download off the server we are renting?? Other servers rented had a download of about 150+ and varying bandwidth allotments for clients connecting to the server and downloading the maps. Thanks for your time. Gonna go and copy and paste the necessary lines from the server.cfg & paste them in the mod config & see if I do it right..=D

Thanks again.

Tim

Comment

If a line has // infront, it means it is commented and it will not be read by CoD4.

Therefore if you had this:
                Code:
                // Client Download Settings (0=off/1=on)
                seta sv_allowdownload "1"
                seta sv_wwwDownload "1"
                //seta sv_wwwBaseURL "http://127.0.0.1/gameservers/"
                seta sv_wwwDlDisconnected "0"
                Then you would not have set your Redirect up, and you'd end up getting 6 Kb/s from the server... you need to remove the // to uncomment the line.

rotation.cfg - This is just something I use, basically because you need to set the Map Rotation LAST (always do it last, else some commands won't work untill the next map/next round etc.)

All it contains is the map rotation:
                Code:
                // MAPROTATION
                set sv_mapRotation "gametype sd map mp_backlot gametype war map mp_vacant gametype sd map mp_crossfire gametype sab map mp_overgrown gametype sd map mp_crash gametype sd map mp_strike gametype sab map mp_carentan"

Comment

Ok, gotcha. The server-thanks to your help-is up and running the mod..=)

Many thanks,

Tim

Comment

Awesome :salute:

Comment

Working...
                    X