Vimeo to begin deleting game videos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vimeo to begin deleting game videos

I know there was already a thread for this in the media section, but I want to repost it here so that it gets the maximum exposure. Seems in their infinite wisdom and judgment of what is and is not creative, Vimeo has decided to delete all existing videos made up of in game footage (pretty much ALL game videos) and will not allow the uploading of new ones. Why are they doing this? To quote them

The Vimeo staff does not feel that videos which are direct captures of video game play truly constitute "creative expression".

So while those 5 min videos of 14 year olds dancing to music are "creative expression" the movies that you and I spend multiple hours making and editing are crap that they don't want.

read the original blog post here

http://www.vimeo.com/blog:140

To help bring some awareness to this, digg it if you have a digg account (it's not mine so I'm not farming diggs for myself). If we can get it on the front page, it will really get the attention it deserves.

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Vimeo_to_End_Hosting_of_Gaming_Videos

Re: Vimeo to begin deleting game videos

As far as I know they can care less for us gamers. They don't want us, so they kick us out. I don't care. Plenty of other video upload websites.

Comment

*sigh* I wish Stage6 was still alive, then we wouldn't need Vimeo anyways.

Comment

Enough said. Boycotting in the move.

Comment

Wipido showcases a collection of gambling, gaming, crypto, investment and streaming related videos for your viewing entertainment. We aim to educate people so

better then vimeo.

Comment

I have never used Vimeo, Veoh is my homedog.

Comment

Apparently it's to do with freeing up of resources, and something to do with them deeming video game movies of not sufficient artistic merit. Whilst the main proprietor of vimeo uploads this to his own gallery and believes it to be more deserving of vimeo's space :

[media]http://www.vimeo.com/1177546[/media]
              I lolled.

(N.B, video isn't actually of squirrel sex, apparently the bearded buffoon who runs vimeo enjoys inappropriately titling his low quality 50-second clips of rodent behaviour)

Comment

Hmmm, maybe I'll upload my video up on there. Just to see if it gets deleted.

Comment

Originally posted by Lolyn View Post
                  Apparently it's to do with freeing up of resources, and something to do with them deeming video game movies of not sufficient artistic merit. Whilst the main proprietor of vimeo uploads this to his own gallery and believes it to be more deserving of vimeo's space :

[media]http://www.vimeo.com/1177546[/media]
                  I lolled.

(N.B, video isn't actually of squirrel sex, apparently the bearded buffoon who runs vimeo enjoys inappropriately titling his low quality 50-second clips of rodent behaviour)

OMG SQUIRREL SEX WTF WHO ARE THESE Taaards

Comment

On a lighter note...today's my birthday! 21 biatches! /offtopic

Comment

happy Bday ^^

Comment

vimeo sux- ruined my sound quality but that was just me and it doesnt reach a lot of people whcih was what i was aiming for in my gaming videos.
                        ah well.
                        good thing youtube is around.

Comment

LOL, YouTube is a joke. YouTube is for exposure, Vimeo/Veoh is for people who like watching more than a blur put to low quality audio. Back when Stage6 was around, it was DA BOMB, but its gone now

Comment

i know its s*** quality, but, as you said, i look for exposure and simplicity. youtube offers both. and because my videos were to spread the word about a game, i chose youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by hooahguy View Post
                              i know its s*** quality, but, as you said, i look for exposure and simplicity. youtube offers both. and because my videos were to spread the word about a game, i chose youtube.
                              dude i stopped watching youtube frag vids because of the uber sucky picture quality on most vids

Comment

Working...
                              X