1.5 Horrid Lag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.5 Horrid Lag

So I seem to be having horrible lag from the moment I log in the game and go to choose a server. Everything is fine until I click "multiplayer" and the game starts to load servers. I have a somewhat old computer honestly but it runs fine on 1.4 version. Basically running 256MB GeForce 6800, 2 GB RAM, slow processor, like pent 4 1.7 ghz.

Like I said though the game works fine when i play in the 1.4 version, it's only 1.5, and the lag (too much lag to even attempt to play the game) starts once I try to choose a server. I have tried re-installing twice, tried different 1.5 patches (incremental and full or whatever) reset my internet countless times. I don't really know what else to do. Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm on XP btw.

Re: 1.5 Horrid Lag

Originally posted by comonnow View Post
    Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm on XP btw.
    Time for you to upgrade! :yay:

There are awesome way and there are modest way. Which one do you like?

Comment

It could be a problem with Punkbuster.
      Try in this order:
      1. Download PBSVC and run the UNINSTALL first.
      2. Run the Install. This should reinstall Punkbuster A and B.
      3. Next allow Punkbuster A B etc with your firewall/Antivirus (McAfee, Norton, Windows, ect.)
      4. Download PBSETUP and update pb for BF2142

Comment

Originally posted by comonnow View Post
        So I seem to be having horrible lag from the moment I log in the game and go to choose a server. Everything is fine until I click "multiplayer" and the game starts to load servers. I have a somewhat old computer honestly but it runs fine on 1.4 version. Basically running 256MB GeForce 6800, 2 GB RAM, slow processor, like pent 4 1.7 ghz.

Like I said though the game works fine when i play in the 1.4 version, it's only 1.5, and the lag (too much lag to even attempt to play the game) starts once I try to choose a server. I have tried re-installing twice, tried different 1.5 patches (incremental and full or whatever) reset my internet countless times. I don't really know what else to do. Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm on XP btw.
        How scientific are you being about this? To actually prove the update is causing the lag, you need to play a specific map on 1.4 (Camp G. for example). Update to 1.5, then play Camp G. again, on a server with similar ping.

If you don't isolate only one variable (updating to 1.5) it is preposterous to actually believe, with certainty, that updating was the problem.

I wouldn't be surprised that you have lag in the first place with that set-up.
        No offense, but your system has become incredibly outdated for gaming. I don't think you even meet the minimum suggested requirements for your CPU.

Comment

jep it is outdated you need pentium 4 1.8. 1.7 may do but then you will need a good grafix card as that one can take lift of your cpu a bit and cpu of your gpu.

Comment

I tried the update PB thing and it didn't work. As for isolating the problem I ran Camp G on 1.4 and played fine, then patched and played Camp G and had the horrid lag. You can tell me to update and I understand that my system is out of date, however it is not the problem, I have been playing the game for over a year without any problems whatsoever except the occasional lag spike. I'm 100% positive it is a problem with patch 1.5. The game lags before I even join a server, all I do is click the "Multiplayer" tab and boom, tons of lag. Any ideas from anyone who doesn't want to tell me to update?

Comment

Did you delete the Battlefield 2142 folder in My Documents when you uninstalled?
              If you didn't delete it now. You will need to log in and setup, video, audio, controls, etc.

Comment

did this earlier today, i guess maybe i'll have to attempt to call EA :evil:

Comment

Originally posted by jake___
                  How scientific are you being about this? To actually prove the update is causing the lag, you need to play a specific map on 1.4 (Camp G. for example). Update to 1.5, then play Camp G. again, on a server with similar ping.

If you don't isolate only one variable (updating to 1.5) it is preposterous to actually believe, with certainty, that updating was the problem.
                  Ok. I don't mean to speak for the OP here, but my specs are similar, except that my CPU is a P4 3.0E @3.75GHz and up until patch 1.5, I was able to play EVERY map (you want to compare 1.4 Gib with 1.5 Gib? I did...) smooth as silk and now the game is almost unplayable. However, what I experience is not lag, but rather incredible jerkiness. Lots of hiccups while I'm playing, even though my ping is always below 50. I don't know if anyone else experienced that, but it's quite frustrating after having come this far...:shakehead:

Comment

You are not the only one. The game is just crap now. I am sure everything when they have fixed whatever problems there were, they just messed up other things. I have a Q6600 with a 8800GTS G92 and 2142 sucks. I have tried everything on high, low and did just about everything you can do. The game just has a rubber ban effect to it. It is almost sad, the game ran better when it first came out, and I was using my P4 with a 7800 GS card.

Comment

Since 1.5 I have been experiencing constant CTDs.

I really don't have the patience to try and get to the bottom of it anymore. I'll just wait on 1.6 or BF3 I suppose.

Comment

I was going through the list of changes for this patch and this is what I found, that I wouldn't trust too much regarding current issues :

"- Various changes made to prevent cheating."

Another annoying thing is that sometimes, if I ever wanna get out of a game in progress, everything in the server browser becomes veeeeeery slow, as if the CPU was almost at full load ; even if I disconnect. Then, I can see that for a minute or two, the pings for all servers in the list seem to raise to at least twice of what they were...

Comment

none of the patches that i installed ever changed anything i dont think. its been consistent ever since i got the game. seriously what is the problem

Comment

Originally posted by Field View Post
                            none of the patches that i installed ever changed anything i dont think. its been consistent ever since i got the game. seriously what is the problem
                            Unfortunately, this is where our similarities end, because I could never have reached BG with such jerkiness. It was quite playable before this...

Comment

Well I have fixed my problem.

I had a look at Vista's Problems & Solutions page and saw all the Battlefield 2142.exe errors. All were caused by renddx9.dll

I downloaded the latest version of DX9 from the Microshaft website and now I am error free. Fingers crossed.

It probably won't make a diff for your issue but try it - you never know.

Comment

Working...
                              X