Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I was wondering how long this would take..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was wondering how long this would take..

*sigh*

THE world's top-selling video game has been blamed for a two-hour crime rampage by a gang of six teens in New York.

The gang decided to take Grand Theft Auto IV from the television screen to the streets of Long Island.

In the video game, which has sold more than 8.5 million copies worldwide, players shoot police, sell drugs and car-jack vehicles.

The game, released in Australia last month, is the No 1-selling game on the Xbox 360 console and is rated MA15+ in Australia,

In the real-life re-enactment of the game, the crazed youths' rampage involved mugging, several break-ins and an attempted car-jacking in Garden City.

"They decided they were going to go out to commit robberies and emulate the character Nico Belic in the particularly violent video game Grand Theft Auto," said Nassau County Police detective-lieutenant Raymond Cote.

"These teens have difficulty separating fact from fiction, fantasy from reality. It was quite alarming."

Police said that the rampage began at 11.30pm on Tuesday when teenagers Brandon Cruz, 15, Gurnoor Singh, 14, Samuel Philip, 16, and Jaspreet Singh, 17, were sitting in Memorial Park in New Hyde Park looking for something to do.

Police said the youths decided to act out the game, in which players live out the life of Belic, an Eastern European criminal who uses murder and robbery to rise to the top of the underworld in "Liberty City", which has a close similarity to New York City.

"They were bored and decided this was a good idea," Lt Cote said.

According to police, the boys first mugged a man at a bus stop near the park, beat him and knocked out some teeth.

They then broke into some sheds and garages, stole bats and crowbars and met up with a couple more teens to continue the rampage.

The six then attempted to stage some car-jackings in Garden City. It was game over when one of their would-be victims - a 23-year-old woman in a 2008 BMW - called the police, who quickly arrested them.

All four of the original teen plotters were arrested, along with the two youths who joined them, Stephen Attard, 18, and Dylan Laird, 17.

They were all charged with first-degree robbery, except for Jaspreet Singh, who was charged with possession of stolen property. Other charges were pending.

Police would not say specifically how they knew the teens' crimes were motivated by Grand Theft Auto and not by some other motive. They said they discovered it during their investigation.

New York Post
    Source

This sort of sh*t pisses me off!

Re: I was wondering how long this would take..

Shame, not the games fault but their parents fault.

Comment

Police would not say specifically how they knew the teens' crimes were motivated by Grand Theft Auto and not by some other motive.
      Are you serious?

Comment

Lol... Indians..

Comment

Like i said before in a thread similar to this, people just don't want to admit how fu**ed up the human race is.. Everything is blamed on Movies, Music, Games and other pathetic excuses.. Alot of people are just fkd up!

Comment

Originally posted by TheHeartSmasher View Post
            Shame, not the games fault but their parents fault.
            QFT, the idea that kids blame their acts on video games is stupid.

its the parents fault. if the parents cannont disipline them, control them or do something to stop them, its no wonder these sorts of crimes are happening

Comment

Blame it on how stupid the teens and their parents are, not a video game, if this game that sold out by millions of copies, we should have at least 100,000 teens killing each other in NYC right now.

Rockstar games must have invented crime... hmm, crime was in our society before any video game or movie came out... Just imagine how stupid the teens were thinking they wouldn't be cough by the police.

Comment

Police would not say specifically how they knew the teens' crimes were motivated by Grand Theft Auto and not by some other motive. They said they discovered it during their investigation.
                This completely ruined any credibility they had at blaming GTA.

Comment

Situation 1

Cops: "Uhm, excuse me kid, what were you doing out here?"
                  Kid: "Oh, I was just imitating my hero Nico!"
                  Cops: "That damn GTA, turns our kids into monsters!"

Situation 2

Lawyer: "Hmm, now how do we get out of this one?"
                  Parent: "OH! They just released GTA, blame it on that"
                  Lawyer: "Good idea!"

I swear to God, I'm going to go out on the streets and set up a lemonade stand in the middle of the street and say Lemonade Tycoon made me do it! Or maybe I'll drive my car really fast through the streets and say Grand Turismo made me do it! I'll top all that off by breaking into peoples' houses and saying Splinter Cell made me do it!

Jesus Christ, not another one of these things. Ignorant parents need to stop blaming a fictional, arcade, FAKE game as the reason for their [stupid] kids' decisions.

Comment

Hmm what's next?

Imagine, seeing this:
                    I'm posting here because real life made me do it...

Oh snap! Reversed!

But err back on topic >_> Wonder if they'll blame The Sims after kids have underage sex? They DID blame Flight Simulators for 9/11 or tried to... Police/Government/Mothers Againts Stuff - they all just look for different ways to control children, because clearly the current way they do things is failing. Yet all they can come up with is "what to blame" - they should really work on preventing such crimes by teaching children at an earlier age. (imo)

Comment

Working...
                    X