differing pings effect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• differing pings effect

if you got a bunch of people that have hella different pings on a server like some people got 50 and then 20 and then some have 120 and a couple people have 250 how much does this hurt your framerate, hit detection and how much does it increase the chances of problems occuring on a given server?

Re: differing pings effect

it will not give you any problems except jumpy persons who are impossible to hit as they are every second somewhere else.

Comment

High latency will not affect your framerate, even though it might look like it

Hit detection becomes very random at pings over 150-200, because the actual hitboxes lag behind the visual soldier.

I don't know if high pingers can have an effect on servers stability :S

Comment

if you got alot of people with high pings on the server you are on, it will most probably cause you to lag more.

Comment

no it wont because lag is the response time. it actually shield make you lag less as the server receives les data per second of the other players.

Comment

Originally posted by Shazanelli
            if you got alot of people with high pings on the server you are on, it will most probably cause you to lag more.
            That makes no sense at all and is not founded it fact.

Ping is the time, in milliseconds it takes for the information to travel between your computer and the server and the back again, much like a radar gun works for measuring something speed.

If you have too high of a ping, f.ex. well over 200, you won't be getting information back to your PC as fast as necessary and you will start to experience "lag" between your commands, the information being sent to the server, and then showing up on your monitor.

This is not the same as choppiness though. Stuttering movement is almost always a system problem (you're PC can't handle the amount of information that is being sent). That can be fixed by lowering the settings or upgrading hardware.

The effect of too high of ping, which causes lag, would be when you fire at an enemy, and he doesn't die. It is because you are firing where the enemy used to be, but your PC hasn't caught up yet (because the response time (ping) is too high). High ping WILL NOT affect FPS.

Under normal circumstances you won't experience lag if you keep your ping well below 200 (I don't play on servers where my ping is above 150-ish.

Comment

how come when i'm on a server and there's loads of people with high ping (200 over) it suddenly becomes sooo laggy for me...? and I know it happens to other people too.

Comment

it doesn't become laggy for you it is just that person who warps from place to place. it will look like you lag but it is that person(or those persons)

Comment

actually when i was playing on the NFB server i had 250 ping (not so good but commanding goes fine) funny thing is i couldn't kill with the damn scar so i took the voss rofl i managed to kill 2 people and on vent my mates were like did DT just made a kill with 450 ping? but it seems people with lower ping are able to kill high pingers faster

Comment

Originally posted by Dtneter View Post
                    but it seems people with lower ping are able to kill high pingers faster
                    exactly, if you have a ping of 400 and I have a ping of 150, I will be seeing your movements well before you see mine.

The information takes longer to travel back from to server to you, than it would for me.

When there are a lot of people with a high ping, it doesn't affect you directly, but you will be observing the effects of their high ping.

It's a cause/effect confusion.

Comment

thanks jake thats actually pretty informative for me

Comment

no problem

Comment

having a high ping actually affects the feel of teh game aswell it's alot more glitchy and less resonsive .. ur controls will feel "floaty" and you will clip and catch on objects all over the place

Comment

Originally posted by Chris--My--azz View Post
                            having a high ping actually affects the feel of teh game aswell it's alot more glitchy and less resonsive .. ur controls will feel "floaty" and you will clip and catch on objects all over the place
                            *sigh*

Comment

Originally posted by Chris--My--azz View Post
                              chris ill play on SWAT where i have 105 ping and everything will feel really smooth and i will have good hit detection and no glitchy stuff going on and then ill play on some packed server where i have 40 ping and there will be glitching and clipping that you talk about.

i think it has more to do with your processor, ram, and the server that you are playing on rather than simply what your ping is

Comment

Working...
                              X