How to get a server populated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get a server populated?

Guys is there any thing i could do to boost the population of my clans server.I find it hard to start up our dead server even harder to keep it going.Can u guys give me some idea on how to populate our server.

1.Can u give me hint of what maps people like?
    2.Whats the best map to start a dead server?
    3.The best way to keep it populated?

And any thing else that will help me out.

Re: How to get a server populated?

no big secret. you need members to idle / play on your server to get it going and known...
    look in the map list in your in game browser to see which maps are the most popular. may i suggest you not put songhua into your rotation:icon_eek:

Comment

Originally posted by [BOON]bunsen
      no big secret. you need members to idle / play on your server to get it going and known...
      look in the map list in your in game browser to see which maps are the most popular. may i suggest you not put songhua into your rotation:icon_eek:
      Thx for the reply.I will remove that map now.

Comment

Ok wow this is sad. Ok well I have a LOT of friends and connections with people. This is what you need.

The way we get our server up and running is, we all have X-Fire and we all got a bunch of friends. A BUNCH! So my clan and I, X-Fire our friends and each other to go on. We get usually 3-8 people. Then more and more people come in. Because of my clan and I especially myself knowing a lot of people, in less than 2 months we've gotten pretty popular. X-Fire is your friend man.

Comment

1. You need mature Admins, who have an eye on fairplay and balance
          2. You need some guys who idle on the Server, until its running (everyday)
          3. You need a maprotation which has a good mix of popular maps and some specials. When we had Vehicles turned on, we started with Kubra Dam and had the rotation mixed, so the less popular maps were followed with easy to fill maps. You have to discuss with your fellows, which maps you like and which ones, you can really play (I love Devils Perch, but the Server got empty, everytime this map was loading, so it was dropped out of the rotation)
          4. Visit www.pbbans.com and let your server stream to them. Less Cheaters - more fun.
          5. Keep your rules simple and visible. The more rules you have, the more administration is needed - don´t be some abusive admin, who kicks everyone for no reasons.
          6. It takes time, to get players and it takes time, until your server is on a favorites list.

(For all Europeans here: Visit our Server
          85.17.14.174:17567 =c@t= Clan Germany - Infantry only)

Comment

Thanks guys i will try the stuff u said thx.

Xfire me at notodd1991 if u willing to help me some more like join in my server and stuff.

Comment

Also stick an ! mark in front of your server name so it gets to the top of the alphabetic list, this will help get more randoms on who are searching for a server to play on.

Comment

For me, I never look at servers alphabetically. I always sort by ping. So putting a number or special character there to put it to the top of the list means nothing. In fact, it will make it harder for some people to find it when they look for it. When I think of some of the servers I go to, I think of the clan name or server name. I don't memorize the string of crap characters in front of the name. Since I only look for a server for about 1.5 seconds before moving on to a different one, that extraneous set of !!! in front is probably going to stop me from bothering.

Comment

^^ you can sort by Ping and name at same time to get maps via ping and alphabetically

What is your server name? I'm not great but I am willing to join if its OK!

Comment

Originally posted by kingdong1121
                    ^^ you can sort by Ping and name at same time to get maps via ping and alphabetically

What is your server name? I'm not great but I am willing to join if its OK!

Server name is [NE]/=FGM= 24/7 Vehicle server [FF OFF] NoObS WeLcOmE.

U can see my sig for the ip

Comment

Originally posted by Jimtool655321
                      For me, I never look at servers alphabetically. I always sort by ping. So putting a number or special character there to put it to the top of the list means nothing. In fact, it will make it harder for some people to find it when they look for it.
                      Works just fine for me thanks, you'd be surprised how many people do have their server browser sorted alphabetically, and then also sub-sort on ping (or vise versa). All pings being eual, mine'll be near the top.

My karkand IO server has gone from nothing when i ordered it (2000th) to inside the top 200 in 6 weeks and sometimes runs 24/7 without any clan members on.

Yes there's other factors, like building up a base of regulars but they all had to find it sometime, and indeed i also have a number of other clans' tags in the server name so people find it when searching for a clan tag.

Comment

Well, you also have to take into account the people that hate Karkand. So I sort by ping and map. I don't even look more than 1/2 a second at Karkand, Sharqi, Songua, Zatar, or FuShe servers. I don't enjoy those maps. Or any IO servers. And I don't care what the server is named. I look at ping, map, and number of players. The only time I look at the name is when I add it to my favorites. Or sometimes to try and figure out who the admins are.

So for a lot of servers it will be sort of a Catch22. You need to get the server populated to get the server populated. The map and current number of players are more important than the name. You can't really do much about the ping other than pay for a decent server. A lot of clans just have idlers on the server all day to make it look like the server is populated. You can try that, but I personally just leave when I get into a server with 8 people and none of them are even playing. Or worse, I'm on a team with 4 idlers against 4 live players.

Comment

Originally posted by notodd1991 View Post
                          Server name is [NE]/=FGM= 24/7 Vehicle server [FF OFF] NoObS WeLcOmE.

U can see my sig for the ip
                          No offense but dude I hate stupid servers with names like that.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper2794
                            No offense but dude I hate stupid servers with names like that.

Good luck

No offense taking.But i would like to hear a name u like for a server.

Comment

[NE]/=FGM= Vehicle server

Would be fine.. Just put the rest in the server description.

Comment

Working...
                              X