Project Reality US Army Update Part 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Reality US Army Update Part 1

Over the past few months we have been giving out small hints of the US Army coming to Project Reality but we have been keeping the details under wraps. Today we have the first part of a large update for Project Reality's US Army. That's right its official, the US Army is coming with the Project Reality v0.8 release!

In the past we have been doing a little bit of "mix and match" with the US assets in Project Reality, mixing US Army and USMC scenarios and weapons. For PR v0.8 there will be an official split, with the US Army using their own unique weapons and vehicles.

We are starting this update with the much awaited M4 Carbine, which is the standard issue rifle of the US Army. Newly added developer [R-DEV]Chuc has recently completed all variants. [R-DEV]Chuc has also been really cracking out loads of other excellent skins as well which we know you will all love (look for dev journal entries on this coming soon). The model and import for the M4 was done by [R-DEV]Katarn who also did the M16A4 models and imports. The texture was a joint effort between Millenia, [R-DEV]Vaiski, [R-DEV]Qwerty and [R-DEV]Chuc.

In all these screens you will probably have noticed the new Digital ACU Camo on the solider model, which is the standard combat uniform of the US Army. These skins were done by [R-CON]Spush. They blend quite well into the terrain and surroundings at a distance! [R-CON]Spush has done work on several other soldier skins included that have already been included into PR v0.75. He's currently touching up Militia uniforms and updating US vehicle skins.

Next up is one of the US Army's APCs (Armored Personel Carrier), The M1126 Stryker. The Stryker is an eight-wheeled, all-wheel-drive, all terrain vehicle which is used by light and mobile mechanized infantry units of the US Army. The Stryker is equipped with an RWS which means the 50cal gunner can sit inside the safety of the Stryker's armor while using the 50.cal MG. The Stryker's model and skin was done by retardedmonkey. The Import has been done by [R-DEV]Stinger. The vehicle coding is currently being done by [R-DEV]Jaymz.

With the help of USI we have finally replaced the infamous vBF2 "beach party" open back HMMWV with a much more appropriate battle-ready model. Although its not as well equipped as current day HMMWV's as seen in Iraq, it provides more protection and is more authentic than the stock BF2 hummer. This updated HMMWV will be used by both the USMC and the US Army. The model, import and coding was done by jarleif and textures done by petemonster from the USI mod. We may add an even more realistic, heavily protected HMMWV model in a future update.

We hope you enjoyed the first part of the US Army update, keep an eye on the Project Reality Website & Forums for the next part and also other information on upcoming changes for PR v0.8!

- The Project Reality Team

Re: Project Reality US Army Update Part 1

The new HMMWV looks cool with the closed door in the back. And btw, does PR have the HMMWV with a TOW mounted on it instead of a .50 Cal?

Comment

Originally posted by Guiccia View Post
      The new HMMWV looks cool with the closed door in the back. And btw, does PR have the HMMWV with a TOW mounted on it instead of a .50 Cal?
      yes we do, you can find it in the current version (v0.75) on Qwai River

Comment

Also on Jabal rhino

US Army? Looking awesome

Comment

Wait, I thought the US Army's standard-issue weapon was the M16A4; isn't the M4 carbine just for Special Forces and vehicle crews?

Comment

Nah, I'm pretty sure they use both the M4 and M16 in the "regular" army. Or he could be referring to standard-issue for the US Army in-game.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish Freedom
              Wait, I thought the US Army's standard-issue weapon was the M16A4; isn't the M4 carbine just for Special Forces and vehicle crews?
              No the M16A4 is that standard issue rifle of the USMC.

The M4 Carbine is the standard issue rifle of the US Army, thou they also use some M16A2 but very few and its not standard issue.

Comment

USMC seem to have midget hands, or that M4 is huge. Or it`s just an illusion caused by the clipping hand.

Will there be 3D ironsights? one of the things that puts me off from playing PR are s*itty looking ISs. Can`t stand em for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by L3adCannon
                  Will there be 3D ironsights? one of the things that puts me off from playing PR are s*itty looking ISs. Can`t stand em for some reason.
                  We use the same ironsight system as vbf2? thou we are moving towards 3d irons thou will take some time before we are fully there, lots of animating and modeling work to be done.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhino View Post
                    No the M16A4 is that standard issue rifle of the USMC.

The M4 Carbine is the standard issue rifle of the US Army, thou they also use some M16A2 but very few and its not standard issue.
                    Really? M4? I'm pretty sure it's the M16. The M4, like I said, is in the US Army, but not for most units. I really think it's just for vehicle crews and Special Forces. It is a carbine, after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish Freedom
                      Really? M4? I'm pretty sure it's the M16. The M4, like I said, is in the US Army, but not for most units. I really think it's just for vehicle crews and Special Forces. It is a carbine, after all.
                      google helps

The primary individual weapons of the Army are the M16 series assault rifle[8] and its compact variant, the M4 carbine[9], which is slowly replacing selected M16 series rifles in some units and is primarily used by infantry, Ranger, and Special Operations forces.
                      Our MAs inform us that in a few years there will hardly be any M16s left in the US Army and as PR is set a few years in the future the M4 is the most appropriate weapon.

Comment

Just look at current photos from Iraq, pretty much every Army soldier on the frontlines has an M4.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhino View Post
                          Our MAs inform us that in a few years there will hardly be any M16s left in the US Army and as PR is set a few years in the future the M4 is the most appropriate weapon.
                          I'd hope in a few years we'd be using something a bit more reliable than the M4.

Comment

Originally posted by L3adCannon
                            USMC seem to have midget hands, or that M4 is huge. Or it`s just an illusion caused by the clipping hand.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RREEwWTLp7k[/media]
                            That's still a work in progress. There's a whole discussion on 3D ironsights here:

Comment

The M4 is just not the standard issue rifle of the US Army. That is not the truth, as much as folks may want to believe it to be. The standard issue rifle is the M16A3/4. The M4 is only used by Airborne/Air Mobile units and transportation units.

SpecOps forces have stopped using it as much as they used to. It's simply not powerful enough for frontline combat as it does not have the desired range or stopping power. It's great for guard duty and urban missions, but it is rapidly falling out of favor as a combat rifle.

The guys want 7.62 stopping power... because it gives them range and fewer rounds are needed to drop the enemy. The 5.56 ball ammo just does not have enough "umph" for the modern battlefield...

Believe what you will. I'll take personal experience and the word of my buddies in-service over Google and Wikipedia any day. :salute:

Comment

Working...
                              X