Laggy Connections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laggy Connections

Hey everyone, I just re-formated and re-installed Windows. Due to a new Mobo, and a new Case, CPU Cooler, and PSU.

I install COD4, + 1.6 patch..

But now, im getting these 1-2sec lag spikes about every 45sec-1min.. It gets annoying, and I need this fixed asap.

Any help? or commands or anything?

Re: Laggy Connections

Try closing down whatever can slow down your computer. Xfire significantly slowed down my comp and i got those lag spikes too.

So try closing down virus scanner, downloads, messengers.

Comment

Um, i highly doubt my PC is getting slowed down....

Quad Core Q6600 OC'ed to 3.0GHZ
      8800GTX 768mb
      2GB RAM

Comment

Does it happen with every game or just CoD?

Comment

I've had stuff like this before. 99% of the time it's Punkbuster trying to update or something (and failing). Try using pbsetup.

Comment

Originally posted by b` m3ow View Post
            Um, i highly doubt my PC is getting slowed down....

Quad Core Q6600 OC'ed to 3.0GHZ
            8800GTX 768mb
            2GB RAM
            Too slow for CoD4, im sorry

Comment

Originally posted by Toxic_Wolf View Post
              Too slow for CoD4, im sorry
              Man you are just way too funny!

@iwantcable, thanks I didn't think of PB, ill update now

Comment

lol, just lol...

Comment

Originally posted by Toxic_Wolf View Post
                  lol, just lol...
                  1600 post go u

Comment

Make sure all your drivers are up to date. Chipset and NIC included. Better to go to the chip makers websites than the MOBO maker as they tend to be outdated.

Turn off the unnecessary software, that does include xfire and virus software, like Wolf mentioned. Yes, youre system is fast, but those programs do things to bandwidth and software that forces it to go slower, regardless of your system.

Also for CoD, I am sure you know there are FPS commands and packet commands you can turn on to improve it. I dont have them all handy, but you can find them in the forums.

There is also the pb_sleep 500 you can run for punkbuster to help stop PB checking updates all the time. then do a pb_writecfg.

I have the same processor and it was doing that to me as well. I found that my heatsink worked its way lose and the proc was overheating. The Q6600 runs hot anyway, but even more so when the heatsink isnt connected

Crunch
                    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
                    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

I have a Zalman 9500A as my CPU cooler, and my temps are LOW and COOL when playing COD4. So temps aint it..

Comment

Your comp is still too slow....

Comment

Toxic, I think you are either slightly mental, sarcastic, or just trying to anger the man. His pc is not too slow for this game. I know a guy who has a 4 yr old pc that can play this game okay lol.

I have this same problem. I have slightly better specs than you and I've always played this game practically maxed out and I get my 125fps (I capped it there). After the 1.6 patch however, I lag as you say about once a min. My ping is about 40 and my fps is 100-125fps consistently. I did not have this problem since the patch.

I asked others and some other people on servers are having the same problem. It seems to happen a lot when I pull a nade...bad time for it to happen, but it seems to do it the most then. Grr. I thought this server was pb SSing me at first, but nope.

Comment

Hey,

I fixed my problem. It was Windows Zero Config or Wireless Zero Config, in the Services. I had to stop that, and that made my lag spikes go away. Since I'm on wireless, it was searching for a new Access Point every 30-60seconds, causing the Spikes.

This is WIRELESS, so IDK about hardwire connections.

Comment

Hmm, yeah, I don't have wireless. I updated pb, but that didn't help. Grr!

Comment

Working...
                              X