How does the squad system work ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does the squad system work ?

I really like talking squadplay and I'm not sure of the mechanics of BF:BC squads

The game seems to place me in a squad of about 4 ? is that right ?
    If a squad mate is alive you can see them 3rd person and spawn there, otherwise its at the base. Correct ?
    Can you create a squad and invite people ?
    Can you swap squads ?

So what are the details of how squads work

thanks

Re: How does the squad system work ?

The only one I'm sure of is that you can either spawn at your base or with your squad. No idea how it places you with you squad.

Comment

I'd like to know the answer to these questions myself. I'm hoping the Squad system in the demo is just some stripped down version of what will be in the full as it certainly lacks the personal appeal of the squad system in BF2 and BF2142.

I haven't seen how you can create a squad, it seems to be randomly assigned. When spawning you seem to be able to see one of your squad mates alive in 3rd person and spawn on them. I'm not sure how the game chooses which person you see though as I'm not sure yet if you can switch between squad members. Or spawn at base.

The max I've seen in a squad is four and you seem to get an informative warning if you're the last person left standing in your squad. I have usually then taken steps to preserve myself if I'm close to the enemy Gold boxes in order to provide a suitable spawn location for the rest of the squad on their next spawn. This seems to work pretty well.

Have you played it much so far?

Comment

Originally posted by Lanserschrek
        I'd like to know the answer to these questions myself. I'm hoping the Squad system in the demo is just some stripped down version of what will be in the full as it certainly lacks the personal appeal of the squad system in BF2 and BF2142.

I haven't seen how you can create a squad, it seems to be randomly assigned. When spawning you seem to be able to see one of your squad mates alive in 3rd person and spawn on them. I'm not sure how the game chooses which person you see though as I'm not sure yet if you can switch between squad members. Or spawn at base.

The max I've seen in a squad is four and you seem to get an informative warning if you're the last person left standing in your squad. I have usually then taken steps to preserve myself if I'm close to the enemy Gold boxes in order to provide a suitable spawn location for the rest of the squad on their next spawn. This seems to work pretty well.

Have you played it much so far?
        yes, that is what I had worked out except I hadnt made the connection to the last one alive warning, but you are right, its when you are the last one alive in your squad. It does seem like random squads.

Hopefully, as you say, in the full release there will be more functionality

I have played 2 games, did badly the first game and well the second game !!
        I am used to mouse and keyboard and am finding the controller aweful in fps, almost puts me off the game, any advice on getting accurate ?

Comment

Originally posted by |TG| Silver.7 View Post
          I am used to mouse and keyboard and am finding the controller aweful in fps, almost puts me off the game, any advice on getting accurate ?
          I'm the same man I came from playing Battlefield on the PC to playing it on my PS3. While I much prefer to use a mouse and keyboard the only thing you can really do is practice and try not to let it ruin your gaming experience as it is a good game. Just remember to crouch and fire in bursts like on the PC version. :thumbsup:

Comment

Originally posted by |TG| Silver.7 View Post
            I have played 2 games, did badly the first game and well the second game !!
            I like yourself am a long time BF2 and BF2142 player, mouse and keyboard would be my preferred mode. In fact this is my first attempt at an FPS on a console and I think you're experiencing similar frustration as I did when i first started into Bad Company last Monday. I was on the verge of giving up as I was caught between my instinctiive fast keyboard/mouse responses and finding the crosshair didn't appear to be going exactly where I wanted as fast as I was used to.

However all I can suggest is give it time, a few hours of play and you'll find your brain rewiring itself and before you know it you'll be getting better and better with your aim. One thing I found that helped me greatly was to reduce the sensitivity initially and over time you'll find your right thumb movements becoming a little more sensitive and precise and the crosshair will start going more often where you want it to go. I'm actually getting a slightly positve k/d ratio in most games now, still nothing near what I'd do on BF2142 but I think thats just the nature of the controls. Now I'm enjoying most of my games and I feel in a lot more control, a pleasant contrast to some of my initial encounters, if I rushed my movement initially I found my crosshair circling the bottom of my opponent or circling teh ground around him, all I needed was to say "Dance motherfunker, dance!" like some 1930's gangster movie and my oppostion procedded to dispatch me with consummate ease LOL Oh well just part of teh learning curve, time is your ally here.

I'm definitely liking it, I love the whole new dynamic the destructible terrain adds to the game, a good omen for BF3 I hope.

Incidentally, have any of you other mouse/keyboard guys tried or considered trying the FragFX controller for the PS3?

Comment

Originally posted by Lanserschrek View Post
              Incidentally, have any of you other mouse/keyboard guys tried or considered trying the FragFX controller for the PS3?
              No but the problem using it with Bad Company would be the fact you can't customize the controls (at least not in the demo) so you might end up with a really wierd setup.

Back on topic I must say I have to agree that the squad system is very poor compared to the previous Battlefields. I don't know what it was like in Modern Combat cos I haven't played it but I think a system like the one used in BF2/2142 would work much better. You could choose your squad rather than just being with some random guys who might just run off in random directions or be sniping in the middle of nowhere. This way you could team up with your friends or other players who are working in a team much easier than the current system. Battlefield is afterall a team based game and to have such a bad squad system when they have proven squad systems in previous games seems such a shame.

Comment

Presumably if you join a game thru your buddy list you get in the same server, same side and same squad ?

Comment

Mouse/Keyboard lovers using an Xbox360 could also invest in one of these, if they intend to play FPS games on Console: http://www.extreme-mods.com/XCM-XFPS...sniperplus.htm

Comment

Hey Guys,

Ive been playing the xbox 360 version of BF:BC,
                    but im unsure of how to respond to squadmates using the headset mic.
                    Do i need to hold down a specific button and if so which one?
                    I know its a nooby question ,but its got me beat..

any help?

gamertag :UnholyME

Comment

shame you can't name your squad

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^
                        i know i want to name mine ********* Zombies

and does anyone know like hot keys for medic and repairs because i've heard some ppl yell them but i have yet to

Comment

Originally posted by |TG| Silver.7
                          Presumably if you join a game thru your buddy list you get in the same server, same side and same squad ?
                          Only if there's space in the squad/team.

Comment

If there is no space, next round then you will be in the same squad and team. Happened to me where I was on the other team and then next round I was with my mate.

Comment

Ah ha. I wished EA would actually explain these things, rather than leaving it up to us to figure it out by chance...

Comment

Working...
                              X