Truly new player seeks help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Truly new player seeks help!

First reply ftw except for the grenade part. That has to be learned by playing the game and getting the feel of it, imo. When you do get the feel of it, it will be natural. Just like using a grenade launcer.

Comment

Thanks for all the great comments so far, much appreciated!

Thanks for the videos tips, I watched a few at lunch yesterday and it does help to see how other people play. As others have stated, I can see where just getting used to aiming with the mouse and stuff will come over time.

I think I did better last night in the 2 rounds I played. Got some more kills and less deaths. Part of that I think was that i joined a squad that actually had a guy with a mic telling us where people where and stuff. That was helpful, plus the 2 medics there kept reviving me giving me less deaths. I guess finding a good squad is helpful in the newbie stage!

I think I realized the biggest thing I'm going to have to learn it to keep calm when I see an enemy. I get too excited and start spraying like crazy hahahaha. I guess that's the sure fire sign of newbie-ness. Also the lack of proning one I see an enemy, I need to get more used to hammering the Z key in that situation!

I do have a few more questions

1) How do you achieve these unlocks people keep talking about?
      2) After being shot, is there anyway to tell where the person who killed you shot you from?
      3) I'm almost afraid to ask, but what is teabagging...in BF2 terms!!
      4) Currently only playing IO, is this a bad idea? Should I be throwing myself into the combined forces arena right from the get-go?
      5) What is this realism mod people are talking about? I.e. what does it do?
      6) If you place a claymore somewhere, does it just stay there forever?
      7) I haven't delved into the mods yet, but are there any must have mods? Do they work similar to WoW? WoW is the only other online game I've played and the mods add stuff to your interface and things like that. Or are BF2 mods more for custom maps and stuff like that?

Thanks for all your help, I can tell the community here is good. My nick is DeadAim88...if you see me, please have pity on me!

Comment

Originally posted by night_day View Post
        Just go to www.realitymod.com and read there EDIT: Found this for you:

7) I haven't delved into the mods yet, but are there any must have mods? Do they work similar to WoW? WoW is the only other online game I've played and the mods add stuff to your interface and things like that. Or are BF2 mods more for custom maps and stuff like that?

Thanks for all your help, I can tell the community here is good. My nick is DeadAim88...if you see me, please have pity on me!
        Mods are more like expansion packs. Some mods make Bf2 into a completely new game

Comment

1) How do you achieve these unlocks people keep talking about?
          When you get enough points you'll get "promoted". This means that you'll get a nice little drum-roll ingame and your new rank will be shown. It also means you'll be able to unlock a weapon for a certain class.

Check this link out to find more about ranks and unlocks: http://ubar.bf2s.com/ranks.php

2) After being shot, is there anyway to tell where the person who killed you shot you from?
          Well you'll get a red mark on your screen showing the direction that the bullet came from, but there's no deathcam feature like CS or CoD.
          3) I'm almost afraid to ask, but what is teabagging...in BF2 terms!!
          [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwKTDyDgBUI[/media]

4) Currently only playing IO, is this a bad idea? Should I be throwing myself into the combined forces arena right from the get-go?
          Play what you enjoy. I'm a certified vehicle whore (see F-35 link in sig), but I enjoy the odd game of IO aswell.

Some people will say IO is "BF2 on easy mode". And I agree with them to an extent, but in reality it's up to you to decide what you enjoy most.

Project Reality is the most-played mod for BF2.

It's main aims is to make BF2 more realistic and force people to work together as a team.

6) If you place a claymore somewhere, does it just stay there forever?
          They stay for a while after the person who dropped it dies, or until someone unwittingly runs into it.

There's plenty of mods around, I suggest you download modjive to find out more about them. I've never had any experience with games like WoW so I don't know how they work.

Most mods in BF2 are about tweaking the vanilla (normal) gameplay and adding more content (maps, weapons and vehicles).

Some mods such as sandbox take a different approach though.

Comment

A good to place to learn, do a server search for NOOB and you will get a lot of servers that cater for beginners (no joke).

Comment

Originally posted by The_Mad_MoShah View Post
              A good to place to learn, do a server search for NOOB and you will get a lot of servers that cater for beginners (no joke).
              Yeah, on those servers they ban anyone who is better than the admins.

Comment

Back with more questions. I finally got promoted to Lance Corporal, no big accomplishment I know as it's basically how much you've been playing Now trying to work my way through all the basic badges.

Questions
                1) How do I use the supply crates? (I don't believe the "manual" EA gives doesn't cover this)
                2) I suck at engineer, how can I possibly pull off 10 kills with this guy in 1 round? I have trouble enough with 10 kills in general lol!
                3) For my first unlock I went with the Spec Ops gun since I like Spec Ops the most, was this a mistake? I wanted the M95 as well since I am trying to get the Sniper badge as well...hard even on the 64 player Jalabad server!

That's it for now, getting the hang of things, so I feel much better about having the basics down, the wife is none too happy with my massive amt of BF2 playing though haahah!

Comment

Hey everyone,

Well, I think after reading this and a few other forums, I am the last of a dying breed. I am not only new to BF2, I am new to FPS in general! So needless to say, I am not very good right now. Alot of the threads in here are over my head as well. I am happy to see that part of my suckiness might be due to hackers and cheats, at least that's what I tell myself when I come out of a round with a 2:20 ratio. At least I am trying to cap flags! So far I have been focused on infantry only servers as I figure I need to get good at the basics before playing the vehicles too much.

Anyways, my questions are

1) Is there anywhere that has good tips on how to improve? Playing against the computer is very boring and not a challenge compared to real games. I have run through all the different classes in single player to get a feel for what I like and don't like.
                  2) Are there any newbie friendly servers?
                  3) How the heck do you get good and chucking gernades!?!? Everytime I throw them it's like a million miles away from people and when they throw at me they always land at my feet :P
                  4) If friendly fire is off, does that include C4, gernades, vehicles and those sniper trip wire things?
                  5) I don't have a headset, haven't felt like I needed it yet. I assume this really should be a requirement when playing? The times I joined squads, they didn't seem to do much other than focus where I was attacking.

Anyways, that's it for now, thanks for your help!
                  Check your messages. I'm willing to help you.

Comment

Questions
                    1) How do I use the supply crates? (I don't believe the "manual" EA gives doesn't cover this)
                    2) I suck at engineer, how can I possibly pull off 10 kills with this guy in 1 round? I have trouble enough with 10 kills in general lol!
                    3) For my first unlock I went with the Spec Ops gun since I like Spec Ops the most, was this a mistake? I wanted the M95 as well since I am trying to get the Sniper badge as well...hard even on the 64 player Jalabad server!
                    1. You get ammo, repair vehicles and heal yourself @ supply crates
                    2. 10 kills in a tank shouldn't be a problem but probably many players wont be happy if your tank skills are not so good and you would be wasting valuable vehicle in city maps. On air maps prepare to be killed many times by helis and jets if you drive tank.

Also place mines in different crossroads and obvious paths, someone always drives there and you might get 2-3 kills with 1 mine

3. You will get all unlocks someday, getting SF pack is also useful for 2 times more unlocks

Comment

Practice, practice, practice.

Just use common sense. If you see a bunch of people walking in one direction and dying, you probably shouldn't go over there, find another route.

To "use" the supply crates you just go near them. Your health will start to slowly go up and you will fill up on ammunition and grenades, plus whatever special item your kit might have, such as C4, claymores, AT rockets, et cetera.

I find that the most fun is in the air, as you can see by my chopper stats and my signature of me TVing a J10

My videos can be found here:

Scrims:
                      [media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=2PpFN4Qt9F4[/media]

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=-pF7BI6Aoyg[/media]

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=ihPUIs20mv0[/media]

Pubs:
                      [media]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2338467424414542876&hl=en[/media]

42,000+ kills, 550+ hours in public servers. If you want to practice anything aircraft related, I'm sure any good player on the forum would be willing to help you. I'll teach you how to solo/fly choppers in an unranked match/scrim server if you want.

Just learn to prioritize your targets and be aware of your surroundings. The aiming and reaction time comes with practice.

Comment

Im afraid theres no easy way to become good, even mediocre, in any aspect in BF2. Especially when youre new to FPS genre in general. The first 50-100 hours will be frustrating to no end. 2:20 is the kind of KDR I remember from my early days.

So, practice, practice and more practice. With enough rounds under your belt, youll develop the situational awareness necessary to be good in a regular BF2 map. Because of the size of the maps, you can quite literally sink 1500 hours in just ONE map, and still be surprised at the outcome of the games sometimes.

I feel sorry for you, I cant even imagine the lack of fun you might have, but trust me, with time and enough game hours, youll start doing good, and with doing better and better, the fun from the games will rise and rise.

If youre new to FPS games, I HIGHLY recommend you invest 10-20 minutes of your day time into the first 4 minigames on this site-

missionred.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, missionred.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

These minigames improve your hand-eye coordination and reflex better than any practice in any full videogame. It takes only 3 sessions to see the results. You can, however, also apply similar techiques, using BF2 local server. Snapshoot between random and various targets. Turn your back on a tree, and turn around and try to hit it as fast as you can. With these kind of practices, you increase your "mouse wielding" skill and the raw techniques and gameplay skills get better.

I also suggest you utilize the SEARCH function. Theres a thread on these forums for pretty much every problem imaginable. Every tactic, every gameplay peculiarity has been discussed to death.

Comment

Well I would suggest to be good at BF2 you start with a real FPS. BF2 is a FPS but not a true one since theres jets tanks and stuff. The game was designed for all the vehicles to be apart of gameplay. If you want to play infantry only and be good I'd suggest you buy another game, maybe Call of Duty 4. That game will speed up your reaction time and there is no bunny hopping dolphin diving grenade spamming people. People try to bunny hop and dolphin dive but they fail, and nade spamming isn't possible due to the lack of grenades. Start with a real FPS that's designed for I/O then go to BF2 and try I/O.

Comment

Working...
                          X