Stutter Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stutter Issue

When I load up the game. For the first 5-10 minutes of playing I get intermittent .5 second pauses. After awhile it settles down and everything is nice and smooth again. Annoying to start though because I cannot fly a gunship without crashing, ride a FAV without ending up in a wall or survive a 1 on 1 firefight without getting nailed.

I used to get sound corruption (scratchy static and judders) when it happened but selecting XFI in options, rather than hardware, has solved that issue. I still feel it has something to do with sounds. As in the game pausing as it loads up new sounds - after a few minutes most all sounds have been played and so are being cached. Thats my intuition anyhow but I could be completely wrong.

I'm getting 30-60 fps so I dont think its graphics. CPU is only using about 70%. Anyone else have this issue or know of a fix.

Re: Stutter Issue

you too? damn it seems im not the only one

Comment

You have the same issue? Do you have an XFi?

Comment

IMO 2gb of ram mite be cutting it close with Vista. the stutter ing is from not having enough for the ram at the moment, and then cleaning up non-BF2 stuff from your RAM to your Pagefile and that part is the stuttering.

Comment

my thoughts:

defrag
          download and run CCleaner utility
          get MORE RAM

If i could have i would have had Windows98 because it probly doesnt take up as much memory but i got windows XP i hear that Vista is a RAM pIG. But anyways at one point i had 1GB of RAM and then i installed another 2GB and the game ran noticably smoother.

But the half second pauses arent internet related or nothing its your comp having to seek info off the hard drive so defrag and more ram makes pretty good sense to start.

I've done all this stuff but sometimes when i go on certain servers or i dont know if its the server or not but ill get those little lockups sometimes but its not like they consistently happen like with you only once in a while

Comment

Vista is supposed to defrag your disk automatically. However I have just downloaded a standalone defrag program that defrags and moves your most accessed data to the faster sections of your disk so I will see if that makes a difference. It reported file fragmentation at 30% which seems like a lot to me.

As for ram - I ran a game of Wake 2142 this morning and after it had loaded the map task manager reported 1.6gb in use. It could be an issue but even on Vista I would have thought 2gb would have been enough.

Has anyone noticed a difference when upgrading from 2gb to 4gb on Vista?

Comment

I'll run the CCleaner when the defrag finishes. Current e.t.c. 3hrs!

Comment

On XP 2GB RAM was about all I needed to run everything high at 1280x960 with a 8800GT. When I switched to Vista it stuttered and "lagged" with the same settings. I upgraded to 4GB and all stuttering went away. Maps loaded much faster. So for Vista you need at least 3GB. My friend also had to go to 4GB with Vista. Don't expect to play with all high settings on a 7900GS though, you might have to take down some lighting effects.

I bought the A-Data RAM from Newegg. Great RAM for cheap.

Comment

I also seem to get these 0.5 sec stutters in-game. Seems to happen more than often at times. And as you said makes you drive favs into walls, or you just encounter someone, then you die without having a chance to fire your gun.

I thought it was just me that experienced this. I have 3gbs ram and defragged not long ago....

Comment

Do you get it when you have just started the game or ongoing during rounds. After 5 or so minutes the problems disappears for me. It's just for the first half of a round I get owned worse than Stevie Wonder playing tennis.

The defrag and Ccleaner had no effect. Guess I will have to try upgrading my memory.

Comment

Originally posted by TrooperJac View Post
                      Do you get it when you have just started the game or ongoing during rounds. After 5 or so minutes the problems disappears for me. It's just for the first half of a round I get owned worse than Stevie Wonder playing tennis.

The defrag and Ccleaner had no effect. Guess I will have to try upgrading my memory.
                      dunno actually, i'll try and see when it happens again. It cant be ram cos I have more than enough...

Comment

my game actually tends to get choppier after playing for a while which would indicate a cpu temperature issue but then it could be something else too i guess. or maybe its my gpu that ive had running everyday for about a year and a half idk

Comment

Originally posted by Field View Post
                          my game actually tends to get choppier after playing for a while which would indicate a cpu temperature issue but then it could be something else too i guess. or maybe its my gpu that ive had running everyday for about a year and a half idk
                          Did you ever open it up and clean all the fans, and get the dust out of the air way? It helps heat dissipation. However, given your average playing time of 4 hours a day (I don't know how you can do it), things might happen.

Comment

( : yeah i dont know where i would have the time to do sucha thing.

well i did dust out the comp a while ago with some canned air and i blasted it at the heatsink thing that was close to the fan and on top of the cpu and i got a hefty amount of dust out of there. idk theres probly more in there i was trying to be careful.

Comment

Originally posted by TrooperJac View Post
                              Vista is supposed to defrag your disk automatically. However I have just downloaded a standalone defrag program that defrags and moves your most accessed data to the faster sections of your disk so I will see if that makes a difference. It reported file fragmentation at 30% which seems like a lot to me.

As for ram - I ran a game of Wake 2142 this morning and after it had loaded the map task manager reported 1.6gb in use. It could be an issue but even on Vista I would have thought 2gb would have been enough.

Has anyone noticed a difference when upgrading from 2gb to 4gb on Vista?
                              In Vista my game keeps crashing because the OS keeps trying swapping memory between hard drive and RAM. Spend a night to switch the good old XP back, no troubles encountered ever after. 2GB is not enough. I guess 4GB might do the job. DDR2 is so cheap now, but for those who spend money on DDR3, good luck finding good deals until later this year.

Comment

Working...
                              X