Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Enemy at my 6 o'clock, Am I completely In his Mercy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enemy at my 6 o'clock, Am I completely In his Mercy?

Hey All,

This question is for all those gunship pilots or top gunship pilots out there.

When someone get on your tail and has spotted and chasing you, are you completely in his/her hands?

I am new to BF 2142 from BF 2 and I remember the J10 mauvering I use to do that shake enemy aircraft off my tail all the time. However, It seems that my old skills from BF 2 isn't working that well in BF 2142. I know how to solo pilot from both BF. My K ratio on BF 2142 gunship is usually around 3:1. In a round I usually earn around 60-85 points including awards.

Situation: Enemy gunship caught me on my tail, he/she fire a salvo of missiles at me. I pull shield just in time and begin to run while gaining some airspeed. I strafe and shift across his 2 or 10 o'clock and pull up to gain some altitude. I do some Cobra/ Immelman manuver to get my head facing him. But at that time, my gunship has already taken considerable amount of damage and is unable to outgun him unless I use a TV missile.

That only works 40% of the time as the server I play in have some great pilots.

So I am looking forward to advice from other BF2142 veteran pilots how they dogfight and if they are completely in the hands of the enemy if they get on their 6.

I use a mouse and keyboard and I would say my skills are above average.

Thanks again.

Amaranthen

Re: Enemy at my 6 o'clock, Am I completely In his Mercy?

Two words: Fly Backwards. Not fly in reverse, not turn around... Flip your gunship nose up and fly backwards. Its hard, its hard to know what I mean without seeing it but it works.

Add me in game (name is "Mr.Kaizer") and I'll hop on an empty server and show you

EDIT: Actually, adding me to Xfire would be more effective... My XFire is "nodfingulfin"

Comment

yes.... flying backwards does help a ton- i got my first aerial kill last week while doing this....

Comment

I'm not much of an experienced pilot, and only played BF2 a few times, but remember the gunship is actually more like a chopper than a jet.

Comment

Originally posted by hooahguy View Post
          yes.... flying backwards does help a ton- i got my first aerial kill last week while doing this....
          I challenge that statement... I don't normally shoot while flying backwards, you are moving too fast and the gunship is hard to control without sending it into a flip. Plus there is the fact that you are facing straight up or backwards, neither of which favorable firing positions. The ability to track a target while doing this is minimal as well, its an EVASIVE maneuver (although it can be used as fast travel). There is also the fact that its darned hard to do without alot of practice

Comment

Originally posted by Fingulfin
            I challenge that statement... I don't normally shoot while flying backwards, you are moving too fast and the gunship is hard to control without sending it into a flip. Plus there is the fact that you are facing straight up or backwards, neither of which favorable firing positions. The ability to track a target while doing this is minimal as well, its an EVASIVE maneuver (although it can be used as fast travel). There is also the fact that its darned hard to do without alot of practice
            Haha on TBG yesterday I flew upside down, and solod Falcon. It was pretty awesome.

Comment

Like they said, flying backwards, and in time, you can become more advanced and play with the strange gunship physics by flying backwards sideways and either go up in a spiral, which nobody will ever be able to follow, or flip back over.

Comment

ok the question is how do you get out/recover from the upside down flying. do you pull up or down? i always crash to the ground when i try coming out of flying backwards.

Comment

@Minmaster: It depends. Its EASIEST to do complete the flip, however its MORE EFFICIENT to go the other way (up).

Comment

Well Im no good at flying, But ask a passing friendly tank driver (such as my self) to blow him off your tail. You may think im just messing, but ive been able to work together with pilots and do that sort of thing! That is if the flipping doesnt go well.

Comment

Originally posted by Minmaster View Post
                      ok the question is how do you get out/recover from the upside down flying. do you pull up or down? i always crash to the ground when i try coming out of flying backwards.
                      To recover, I usually hit hover for half a second to slow myself down, then push up on my keyboard while pulling my mouse backwards towards me. This will cause you to do a front flip instead of a rear flip. The reason I rarely ever complete loops is that loops take far too much time and space to complete. Thus, pulling up and strafing is much more advantageous.

Comment

i always try to do this: when I'm being chased normally the good pilots shoot 2-3 times to let me activate my shield and shoot the rest of the rockets to Finnish me off, but most of the times as soon as i get the lock on warning i go in hover mode and start making corkscrew's to instantly get behind the enemy gunship.

Comment

Originally posted by Dtneter
                          i always try to do this: when I'm being chased normally the good pilots shoot 2-3 times to let me activate my shield and shoot the rest of the rockets to Finnish me off, but most of the times as soon as i get the lock on warning i go in hover mode and start making corkscrew's to instantly get behind the enemy gunship.
                          Umm... I don't think good pilots do that... o.O Because good pilots should know that an enemy gunship at 13 health can be just as deadly as an enemy gunship at full health. Good pilots will usually sneak up and lob all 10 rockets before you have a chance to react.

Anyways, to respond, in general, there are two things I think most gunship pilots do. Either fly backwards, as mentioned before, and try to shake the enemy gunship. Or stop, turn around, and confront the enemy. To let your shields recharge, try to stay under the enemy gunship (follow its movements). It can't do anything to you if you're just following its movements underneath it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fingulfin
                            well, my situation was different, b/c he was right on my tail, and b/c i started going backwards, he went around me, to my front, and then i blasted him. :salute:
                            but yes, flying backwards is an evasive maneuver, and helps keep you facing your opponent....

Comment

I usually pull up to do a loop but half way through I pull down until I'm facing the loop I was just about to make. More often than not, the other ship will think you did a loop and go the full 360 but instead, you'll be on his tail.

You have to be a decent height off the ground for this though.

Even if you don't get behind him, it's usually enough to throw him off your tail. If I were you, I would also put a vehicle scanner on your gunship so you know when a gunship is near.

Comment

Working...
                              X