An Ironic Fix for my lag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Ironic Fix for my lag

Ok, so you know how your supposed to check your internet connection or lower gfx and settings if you lag. Well in my case it was kinda different and funny in a diff. way. My graphics were all low except for texture...now i set this because i just wanted to raise my fps, BUT, there was something wrong, i lag everytime there is an orbital strike and when ever someone shots a gun really really really close to me. Huh....

Later (couple weeks) i go out and buy new noise canceling headphones from SONY. And these things are amazing, i love the sound and how the game sounds through them. Then i go to my settings for Audio, and raise audio quality from medium to high. Then go ingame and listen to how it sounds. Amazing.

Then a round in SWAT Gibralter comes up, im playing and playing, then trying to defend Ruins, then all of a sudden an orbital strike comes, now these are HE** for me cuz of lag and i can barely move 1 inch, but all of a sudden im moving free like a gazelle. I mean MAN THIS IS AWESOME. So i look at my settings, and i put them up to medium high gfx, then ..... wait..... the lag went away even more. No lag on orbital and no lag from close range shooting.

So my fix was. Up the settings on gfx and audio. compared to the usual "put them down for less lag"

Ironic ain't it?

Re: An Ironic Fix for my lag

so you INCREASED your sound quality and you lagged less. uh yeeah thats kind of wierd

Comment

Not really. If you up the sound level, you may be enabled certain hardware accelerated features. This takes load off your CPU.

Similar thing for graphics. And in my experience, sometimes setting graphics to the absolute lowest does hurt performance. I can't explain exactly why, though. Perhaps it has something to do with drivers and optimizations at different graphic settings.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghiblian
        Not really. If you up the sound level, you may be enabled certain hardware accelerated features. This takes load off your CPU.

Similar thing for graphics. And in my experience, sometimes setting graphics to the absolute lowest does hurt performance. I can't explain exactly why, though. Perhaps it has something to do with drivers and optimizations at different graphic settings.
        Sounds about right to me.

Comment

Same with COD4, when I had my old 7600GS.

I put the settings low, it ran like crap. I put em up, it runs fine.

But now I can't even play all on low with my new 8800GT, I get 5 FPS...

Comment

this sounds eerily familar. orbital strikes bring me to a crawl & when i get close to people i get quick freezes & lag. my pc specs are not all that bad, but i get the same lag that you speak of & i find it to just be maddening! i will be tinkering w/ my sound settings tonight when i get home. my next step was dumping a few hundred dollars into some new parts. who knows, that may still be the next plan, but i'll try the free steps any day first:nod:

Comment

Well, for one i was NOT going to put some new dollars, just to play battlefield 2142. I mean i love the game and all that action that kept me happy for more than a year, but i draw quite a fine line at how i use money toward it.

But hey man, post your specs, if they are better than mine then you will be fine, considering i have a HP Stock video card that is supposedly made by NVidia and is made specifically for my pc and vista....7500 LE.

I bet if you tinker around with your specs, you will find something.

Currently everything is low, except terrain and texture which are medium, view distance is 90%, res is : (i forgot >_<), and sound is high.

The littlest thing can make the biggest difference. Now im playing smoother and having the place and game look better.

Next step: I want an 9600. Anybody want to give me one? =p

Comment

Originally posted by Lotek19 View Post
                But hey man, post your specs, if they are better than mine then you will be fine, considering i have a HP Stock video card that is supposedly made by NVidia and is made specifically for my pc and vista....7500 LE.

I bet if you tinker around with your specs, you will find something.
                amd 4200
                2 gb corsair 3200 xms (800 mhz low latency)
                maxtor 250 gb sata2 h/d
                bfg 8800 gt oc 512
                and res is something like 1290x960...that sound right? i just got a widescreen a month or so ago, so i forget the widescreen res

like i said, the specs are not great by todays standards, but ok. i just don't get the performance that i should. the tinkering begins NOW!

Comment

that set up seems more than fine! Is that dual core?

What fps you getting?? You should easily play the game smoothly, even in orbital strikes...

Comment

Originally posted by Shazanelli View Post
                    that set up seems more than fine! Is that dual core?

What fps you getting?? You should easily play the game smoothly, even in orbital strikes...
                    fps would vary between 40 & 60, but it actually ran more like 20-30 fps. i made those few adjustments it's a huge improvement already. i'll mess around w/ it more later. lotek is my here right now:salute:

Comment

Originally posted by fatmooseknuckle View Post
                      fps would vary between 40 & 60, but it actually ran more like 20-30 fps. i made those few adjustments it's a huge improvement already. i'll mess around w/ it more later. lotek is my here right now:salute:
                      CPU might be bottlenecking the video card. Is that a dual core processor?

Comment

Originally posted by jake___ View Post
                        Sounds about right to me.
                        No, lol. I was just goofing around and upped my sound settings, because Titan has always been a stuttery turd for me, even though my PC is decent. It started acting horridly erratic, and CTD'd almost instantly upon entering the map, lmao.

Specs.....

3.2gh Intel

Nvidia 7950GT Oc edition, factory settings

400w PSU

2gb G-Skill

I think ill stick with medium sound settings and just play conquest.:thumbsup:

Comment

Originally posted by jake___ View Post
                          CPU might be bottlenecking the video card. Is that a dual core processor?
                          that was my original thought & i was ready to go w/ intel core 2 duo/quad. yes the 4200 is an entry level dual core. i think 4000 is the lowest dual core that they make

Comment

I want some sony head phones now..

Comment

Got some funny story to tell about my rig. I told Field not to do this-and-that upgrade, but I myself just did things like that after being quite frustrated by new maps. The rig turns out just fine. I can run Crysis demo all low at 800x600 but still get good frame rate. But since I paid for some upgrade, why not go ahead and try it out? So I got this lame used Pentium D 3.0GHz to replace my venerable Pentium 4 3.0GHz and a new 8800 GS to replace my 7800GT. It runs crap at 800x600 and I experienced no improvement in FPS. Then ran it on all high at 1024x768, WTF? Better frame rate! The problem I have now is that the power supply unit, which came with this computer from HP 2.5 years ago, fixed once, now howls like it's going to die quite soon. It just doesn't have enough juice to push the 130W CPU and 8800 GS at the same time. So I pulled 12V molex off DVD player and disconnected/disabled all unnecessary stuff. Fortunately I still have a portable DVD so there's no problem playing this game. I guess that I just have to sell 7800GT really soon to get some funding for 600W PSU. I'm done with Intel, will buy AMD next time. I hope the new nVidia Hybrid can really save power while not gaming.

Comment

Working...
                              X