Shadows: On or Off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shadows: On or Off?

So how many of you guys use shadows? I find shadows kills performance by around 15fps or so on my PC. I just don't think they make much of a difference and it doesn't even look that good with shadows cast everywhere. Do people that use them see any benefit gameplay wise? And does it slow down other people's games as much as mine?

Re: Shadows: On or Off?

It doesn't give you such an advantage that you would get in BF games, so not worth it imo. People that play in leagues and such might disagree though, I don't know

My system plays CoD4 at all highest settings with around 70-80 FPS so I don't really need more FPS imo. As long as it's over 60 I'm fine with it.

Comment

I play with them off because I don't have a top of the line pc, I usally just have specular map and depth of field+defaults.

Comment

eh i don't like specular map, it makes things look glowly for no reason. depth of field is more of a detriment imo.

Comment

I have shadows off for FPS reasons. Depth of field effects FPS, so I have that off too.

Comment

I play with it on with my new system. Old system it was off. I tend to pay attention to those details, so I notice a difference, but I think if it affects your FPS much, you should turn it off.

Now, as for it on, I have seen shadows where enemies where hiding around corners or above me and if it wasnt for that, I would have not known they were even there. I dont know if you still see those shadows with it off, I dont think you do.

So FPS first, fancipants second

Crunch
            Twitter: @CptainCrunch
            Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Ya, I have had many many times where I nailed a guy because I saw a shadow shift. So I keep them on. I'll take the 5 FPS it loses on my system.

Comment

I have it on because it looks a lot more realistic. Plus, the FPS hit isn't enough for me to care

Comment

My comp is dabomb so i have them on.

Comment

Originally posted by .:S:. TSlaw View Post
                    Ya, I have had many many times where I nailed a guy because I saw a shadow shift. So I keep them on. I'll take the 5 FPS it loses on my system.
                    yeah but it works the other way too. a guy hiding in the shades can be seen better when shadows are turned off. your eye notices the contrast.

Comment

I have it turned Off, as i don't see the reason to it, i never look at the shadows in game just my rifle the world and enemies.

Comment

I have everything on high, including having shadows on! woot!

Comment

I've never tested how much it affects frame-rate, but I have shadows ON, and do use it from time to time to be alerted to an enemy's presence.

Comment

Working...
                          X