Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

xp reinstall = can't play 2142 any more!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xp reinstall = can't play 2142 any more!

short version: reinstalled XP and now 2142 crashes to desktop after a couple minutes of playing

long version: been playing 2142 for 18 months with occasional crashes like everyone else (usually system locks w/ looping sound). last week i got a virus or something (explorer.exe crashing and restarting every few seconds). my xp install was kind of crusty so i decided on a fresh xp install. after the reinstall, 2142 gave me a BSOD. tried lots of stuff, eventually gave up and reinstalled xp again, but this time i didn't install anything except the latest video drivers and lan drivers and then 2142. same thing, BSOD.

here's stuff i've tried:
    reinstall xp (SP2)
    installed every windows update
    installed SP3
    made sure i have all the latest drivers
    tried older stable versions of the drivers
    no internal parts are dusty, or dirty, or broken, or overheating, or not plugged in
    tried swapping ram sticks between slots (1 to 3 and vice versa)
    updated BIOS
    reinstalled 2142
    moved the pci x-fi sound card to a different pci slot
    manually updated punkbuster
    playing without any sound cards (unplugged the pci card and disabled the mobo sound card)

the error has kind of changed as well: at first it was BSOD's with the occasional CTD, now it seems like it's mostly CTD's with the occasional BSOD. i even got the "memory.dll: thread #### is deallocating main thread memory" a couple times.
    the BSOD STOPs have been 0x0A and 0xD1 (IRQL_NOT_EQUAL_OR_LESS_THAN and DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_EQUAL_OR_LESS_THAN)
    when it CTD's, i don't get the looping sound, it just drops me instantly back to the xp desktop.
    i tried windows debugger and they pointed to usbuhci.sys - but that file is fine (microsoft USB driver). i haven't run an MD5 checksum on it but it has the same size/date as the dllcache version.

i've submitted this to EA. they suggested i update C++ runtime, try setting processor affinity to use 1 CPU, turn off sound acceleration, cleaning out temp files, updating directX and updating .NET framework. none of those helped so far.

the only thing i can think of that is different between the new XP installs and the old install is i upgraded the motherboard BIOS from 2301 to 2704 (motherboard is asus p5w dh deluxe). but i can't figure out how to downgrade back to 2301 - the asus bios flash utility doesn't allow downgrades.

2142 is the only game i play so this really sucks. can anyone help me? if you guys have ANY ideas please let me know.

Re: xp reinstall = can't play 2142 any more!

search in the support forum for threads about memory.dll, maybe there are a few fixes. have you tried deleting cashe? maybe run it in windowed mode( in shortcut change fullscreen 1 to fullscreen 0). this will point to a location where the bug is located.maybe then you can point out the problem.

Comment

yeah i have deleted cache - formatted/reinstalled xp a couple times too so i've started w/o cache at least 4 or 5 times now.

the memory.dll error only happened once, the rest of the time it either CTD or BSOD

i tried running in a window but it still silently crashed to desktop or bsod. no message on CTD.

Comment

have you tried reinstalling bf? that could solve the problem on the bsods.

Comment

yeah 4 times

Comment

finally got my pc working again

i'll spare you the details but it took a custom nlite install with zero drivers followed by over 40 hours of very tedious hand-installing and testing each driver with 2142

Comment

I read your thread but couldn't think of anything to add - a very strange issue. Did you find out the cause?

Comment

it was some incompatibility between an old microsoft "teletext codec driver" (don't even know what that is) that is invisible and installed on xp automatically, and the latest x-fi and radeon sound and graphics drivers. when i removed the teletext codec driver the problem went away. no idea what to make of it.

Comment

Working...
                X