Interesting article regardin the future of PC gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting article regardin the future of PC gaming

PC gaming doesn't necessarily need fixing. The industry is raking in money, and don't let anyone tell you differently. However, with the demise of Games for Windows/Computer Gaming World magazine, the popularity of consoles, and games that once might have been PC-only appearing on said consoles, sometimes exclusively, a lot of myopic dorks are calling for PC gaming's funeral.

PC gaming is doing fine. Just ask Blizzard.

But if you really, really think it needs an overhaul, there are some aspects in which certain industry professionals seem to have their heads up their wazoos. PC gaming doesn't need to be fixed, but it does need some maintenance work to keep on running smoothly. Here are some areas that could use attention.

OEMs: Stop Using Intel Onboard Graphics
    This should be obvious. Yeah, Intel graphics solutions are cheap. And trust me, unsuspecting consumers who think they're getting powerful, up-to-date computers get what they pay for. Simply said, they're crap for games, unless the games are limited to Puzzle Quest and Peggle. If someone who unwittingly bought an Intel graphics-crippled system grew curious about, say, The Witcher or Gears of War, said consumer is out of luck. Computer makers, here this: Put in a real damn graphics card, or make it well known and advertised that your Intel-graphics-laden doorstops are good for nothing besides Web surfing and doing email. Perhaps a giant, neon-orange sign on each PC stating "NOT FOR GAMING" is called for.

Fix the Piracy Problem or Shut Up About it
    I, and a great deal of gamers, are so damn sick of hearing developers whine about piracy. Look, if it's that big a deal to you (and noting that unprotected sometimes make a killing), fix it. And I don't mean by making your CD keys 10 digits longer than they are now. In fact, you can shove those CD keys somewhere painful, because they obviously don't work. If you want to stop pirates, quit whining and use your heads. If you can program a game that takes up five gigabytes of my hard drive, you can figure out a way to make it uncrackable without forcing me to stand on my head and recite the alphabet backward to play it. Maybe online distribution is the key, with online components that, unless they're present, cripple the experience. I know that would piss off anyone without a decent online connection, but who cares?

Stop Relying on NPD for Sales Data
    Until NPD (National Purchase Diary) starts reporting online sales through Steam, EA's download service, Ubisoft's download service, revenue from MMOs, etc., everything they say about gaming sales is virtually irreverent. I'm not blaming NPD for being myopic; they're selling a half-assed service and making money—I'd do the same thing if I could. No, I'm blaming the huge number of gaming "news" outlets that report everything NPD has to say about gaming as if it were based in reality. Hey, news editors—it's not. Find another source, or start doing your own damn work and polling for real numbers. Here's a hint for the thick headed who can't wrap their brains around what I just said: If World of Warcraft isn't on top of every freaking game sales list every single month, the list is a load of crap.

Somebody Step Up and Advocate
    PC gaming is actually in a very good place right now, but there doesn't seem to be anybody saying so. The PC Gaming Alliance has been more or less silent since its big coming out meeting at Game Developer's Conference. It's been a couple of months, but I have a nagging recollection from that meeting that they were supposed to, like, do something? If they're not going to, we need another body that will get the word out to the world that PC gaming is alive, well, and has a solid future.

Stop Taking Sides
    This one goes out to all the pasty white nerds who think posting on message boards means something in the real world—shut up. It's perfectly fine to like PC gaming and console gaming—AT THE SAME TIME! I own an Xbox 360, a PSP, a Wii (which, in all fairness, belongs to my son), and several gaming-strength PCs, and I play whatever I feel like when I feel like it. The PC-versus-console debates that pollute geek message boards are moot. There is no reason you have to stick to one form of gaming, and defend it as if it's your sovereign nation. Give up the stupid arguments, try out games on whatever it is you claim to be "against," and you might be surprised; you might actually enjoy it. Just as it's okay to like peanut butter and jelly, it's fine to like PCs and consoles. Give up the debate; it makes you look really, really dumb.
    discuss

Re: Interesting article regardin the future of PC gaming

If Joel Durham Jr. is the same Durham from the Sins of a Solar Empire forums that I've been talking with on and off for the past few months - then it'd explain why he just said everything I've been saying for the past few years now.

He couldn't be more correct in his assessments.

Comment

PC GAMING WILL LIVE FOR EVAR!!! so do console gaming except they produce new consoles thats all and i play both i especially loved the last paragraph. Nice find TroyBob this is reay good, i like it when someone stands up and defends PC Gaming as to not being dead! PC gaming will never die imho!

Comment

Pirates will always be one step ahead of developers.

You really think developers haven't tried stopping it? They try preventing it but then people complain that it interferes with their game and personal privacy. You can't hide files anywhere without them being found. The best option is a rootkit, but that can seriously mess stuff up if its not done right and is completely against peoples rights.

See Sony fiasco for reference on rootkits.

Comment

Developers have already overcome pirates, it's called Steam and it's taking a lot of other game-devs who seem to be in the stone age to adapt.

Sorry to say but "pirates" lost roughly 12 years ago when the first online authentication servers popped up. It's a non-issue, I'd be more worried about the practices of EA and the fact that creativity has gone down the ****ter for 90% of companies than any mythical pirates.

People aren't buying Crysis, not because of pirates, but because it requires a ****ing supercomputer to run at 50fps and frankly, it's a pile of ****e.

Comment

Given the fact that there are thousands of wonderful hidden gems out there, I'm not worried about the lack of creativity, or this notion of an Electronic Arts monopoly ruining PC gaming.

Only mainstream First Person Shooters and MMORPG's should ever have to worry about creativity being stiffled... and thats mostly because anything that goes mainstream rarely opts for unproven methodologies.

For us RPG, Strategy, Simulation and Action fans. PC gaming is still the haven in a gaming world gone mad.

Comment

Originally posted by troybob View Post
              http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...129TX1K0000532

OEMs: Stop Using Intel Onboard Graphics
              No. Those looking for a computer to work on will not want to pay hundreds of $ extra for a "gaming grade" GFX card. Beside those who do not use onboard GFX usually come with some half-obsolete overpriced sub-standard card that nobody would buy on their own.

Nothing gets obsolete as fast as a GFX card, for the average user it would be much better to buy the card as a separate addon at the time of purchase, instead of getting what the computer maker could get a discount on six months ago.

Comment

Working...
              X