Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On the topic of Resets - I'm curious about...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the topic of Resets - I'm curious about...

...About why they can't re-instate a player's stats in full?

Since the stats themselves are based on fictitious numbers, why can't they just undo what they've done?

Are stats and player data not stored on data servers? Is data not backed up? If they make a mistake, is there no undo? If the data is lost, is there no BRP policy in place?

EA can make the arbitrary decision to reset an account but they cannot make the decision to put it all back. That makes no sense.

Unless -- They have no BRP, or they don't backup their data or this is all a conspiracy of some kind or something else...

Or perhaps - unlike a normal company, that is interested in saving their data and keeping backups of everything should some kind of force majeur occur, EA doesn't believe the financial impact of a few thousand players stats being unrecoverable is worth the cost of providing and maintaining the backup.

*BRP = Backup Response Plan

Please discuss further, I seek enlightenment on this matter...

Re: On the topic of Resets - I'm curious about...

If I were EA I'd have a backup-server mirroring the stats-changes with maybe 3-4 days delay - this way if something screws up you have 3-4 days to disconnect the mirror to avoid the up-screwing (new word) to reach the backup system.

I don't think you'll get a reasonable answer from here, though. You'd be better off mailing EA and patiently waiting for a reply.

Comment

They could reinstate them, but if they publicly announced that it was possible, imagine the amount of emails they would get about it.

It makes their job easier to deny the fact rather than tell the truth (and, quite frankly, i don't blame them )

Comment

Originally posted by Doggie52 View Post
        I don't think you'll get a reasonable answer from here, though. You'd be better off mailing EA and patiently waiting for a reply.
        If I sent EA this question, I would be waiting a long time for a real answer. That's why I'm posting here - cause an opinion from here is better than their legal BS responses.

Originally posted by Alex98uk View Post
        They could reinstate them, but if they publicly announced that it was possible, imagine the amount of emails they would get about it.

It makes their job easier to deny the fact rather than tell the truth (and, quite frankly, i don't blame them )
        Yea - of course - people would demand their stats get set back - I don't see an issue here. Does it really create more work then putting it all back the current way? (accumulate 100 points and someone will input rank and points back)

Comment

It is obviously possible to reinstate stats.

Ever notice the leaderboard hacks? False scores placed in every slot.

But I do understand to an extent not reinstating. Then again.... It was a mistake in the first place.... I don't know. To hell with ethics.

Comment

Originally posted by finc.hairy View Post
            Yea - of course - people would demand their stats get set back - I don't see an issue here. Does it really create more work then putting it all back the current way? (accumulate 100 points and someone will input rank and points back)
            It would require people to answer phones and email and then people to use the system to re-enable them. This means taking on more staff and perhaps training them to use the system.

You then open yourself up to complaints from people who claim cheaters got their stats back whilst you didn't. So, it is a lot easier and more cost effective to say "no", "no you cannot have your .jpg's back"

Comment

Originally posted by Alex98uk View Post
              It would require people to answer phones and email and then people to use the system to re-enable them. This means taking on more staff and perhaps training them to use the system.

You then open yourself up to complaints from people who claim cheaters got their stats back whilst you didn't. So, it is a lot easier and more cost effective to say "no", "no you cannot have your .jpg's back"
              hmmm...

See I would buy this if they flat out said that they wouldn't re-instate anyone, period regardless of circumstances.

The fact they do "give players their .jpgs back" provided that the player jumps through a certain set of hoops in the first place, means that they have the ability to do it on the fly and to put it all back.

Lets assume for the lark that a person's stats takes up a text file of 40KB. (I copied a player's stats into notepad, saved it and it came to 36KB). EA is accessing the file anyway to put it partially back - so why not do the rest. That's what I'm not getting.

By offering to re-instate stats in the first place, you're already opening yourself up to getting complaints up the wazoo.

Anyone else have any further opinions?

Comment

Special conditions with the server exploits. But, usually it's a no.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex98uk
                  Special conditions with the server exploits. But, usually it's a no.
                  Sorry, I'm not following....

Comment

The latest stats hack where people have edited server files are a special condition, but usually, reinstating stats is a no.

Comment

Don't expect EA to do anything. If a programmer wants to help us by adiing more content/removing bugs/etc..., they probably fire him/her anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X