[7] Speed, Visibility, and Cover
    [8] Spotting and Counter Sniping
    [9] Communication
    [10] Advanced Shots
    [11] User-Submitted Tips
    [12] Abbreviations
    [13] Sources

[1] Author's Note/Disclaimer

*Quick tip, I have found the following changes to help hit detection, as well as help you
    jump higher.

/com_maxfps 125
    /cl_maxpackets 100
    /cl_packetdup 2

You can also download my configuration file below if you wish to try it out. Just remember
    to back yours up before replacing it with mine. I've turned off all the glitz and glamour
    so that I run as smooth as possible. Graphics wise, this includes removing depth of field and specular map.

Before I begin discussing rifles, tactics, and techniques I'd like to mention that all of my
    tips are based off of a regular server setup - particularly objective game modes. While many
    of the techniques may work in hardcore servers, the reader should not expect every technique
    discussed to work identically in hardcore servers.
    Similarly, not all tips and tricks mentioned in this guide will apply to all play-styles and
    game-modes. Notices will be posted in certain areas of this guide to remind the reader that
    particular sections are either not recommended for a specific game-type or may provide an
    alternative for hardcore servers.

*This guide is meant to educate and inform, not teach. Readers should not expect to learn
    how to snipe, simply obtain a better understanding of how to snipe more effectively.

Please do not redistribute this guide without giving due credit to the original author and
    sources. At no point in time should this guide be edited by any individual other than the
    original author.

Finally, If you have any suggestions, comments, questions, or tips you would like to be
    added to this guide, please contact me via email at: tfk4lyfe@yahoo.com

[2] Selecting Your Rifle

Choosing your rifle is one of the most important stages in becoming an effective sniper. In
    order to use a sniper rifle to its full potential, you must master its reload time, general
    accuracy, recoil, and various other statistics specific to that rifle, such as penetration.
    Each sniper rifle has a unique feel to it, meaning it takes a lot of practice to feel
    completely comfortable with the weapon. While it is worthwile to understand and be able to
    use every rifle, it's best to practice with only one to become as effective as possible.

Statistics:
    *All numerical statistics taken directly from the Encyclanpedia

M21: Semi Automatic
    10 Clip Size
    2.75s Reload time
    Low Recoil
    70 Base Damage
    98 Damage w/ SP
    Moderate Penetration

M40A3: Bolt Action
    5 Clip Size
    .43s PR Reload time
    Low Recoil
    70 Base Damage
    98 Damage w/ SP
    High Penetration

Dragunov: Semi Automatic
    10 Clip Size
    2.75s Reload time
    High Recoil
    70 Base Damage
    98 Damage w/ SP
    High Penetration

R700: Bolt Action
    4 Clip Size
    .43 PR Reload time
    High Recoil
    70 Base Damage
    98 Damage w/ SP
    High Penetration

Barrett: Semi Automatic
    10 Clip Size
    4.08s Reload time
    Moderate Recoil
    70 Base Damage
    98 Damage w/ SP
    Very High Penetration

*The bullet sizes differ amongst the weapons, being larger in weapons such as the bolt
    actions and Barrett and smaller in the M21. These different sizes allow the bullets to
    penetrate different amounts of armor, so, while the damages may be the same in the raw
    statistics, the semi-automatics (excluding the Barrett) may be stopped by body armor more
    often than other rifles.

[Semi-Automatics]

The M21 is most notably the best semi-automatic sniper rifle. It is extremely accurate
    even after multiple shots due to the low recoil, allowing the user to put two well-placed
    shots down range on the target.
    The Dragunov, while more powerful than the M21, has much greater recoil, which detracts
    from its semi-automatic capability, leaving the M21 as a better option.
    Finally, while the .50 Caliber Barrett may make quite a devastating sound, it is not
    properly suited to be a stable semi-automatic rifle. It's clunky and has more recoil than
    most rifles, meaning:
    1) There are rifles with less recoil that are just as powerful, making the Barrett less
    qualified as a semi-automatic.
    2) It's semi-automatic capabilities are useless due to the large recoil, making it similar
    to the Dragunov, and therefore a worse choice than the M21.

*If you are looking for a semi-automatic rifle, you should be focusing on low-recoil in
    order to maintain its effectiveness as a semi-automatic. The .50 Caliber Barrett and the
    Dragunov should be treated more as single-shot rifles than semi-automatics.

[Bolt Actions]

The R700 and the M40 are both great rifles, but have slightly different characteristics.
    The obvious differences between the two rifles include clip size and recoil. As shown
    above, the M40 has a larger clip of 5 rounds and less recoil, while the 4 round R700 packs
    a slightly bigger punch yet has greater recoil when compared to the M40A3. With the same
    perks, both rifles perform nearly identical in stopping power (generally 1 hit kill to all
    targets w/o juggernaut). This means that the M40 is, overall, the better of the two rifles.
    However, once one is mastered, the two can be used interchangeably without much noticable
    difference other than the recoil.

*From personal experience, I've encountered more problems with the hit detection on a
    target when using the R700, and have therefore stuck to using the M40. However, that was
    prior to patch 1.3 where there were more hit detection problems.

[3] Sidearms

Until you manage to pick up a weapon from a fallen soldier, you must rely on your pistol
    to combat enemies in up-close situations. Just like the sniper rifles, each pistol has a
    unique feel to it. In my experience, I have only seen three of the four pistols used
    effectively.

M9 w/ silencer - I've only seen this used once by an experienced player (a fellow clanmate).
    The reasoning behind using this pistol was that, if fired fast enough, it sounds similar
    to a skorpion. In theory, it fools an enemy into believing you have an SMG and, therefore
    may make them keep a greater distance.

USP w/ silencer - This pistol, while lacking in damage, is very easy to fire accurately and
    quickly due to its low recoil. This allows the user to accurately aim down the sights and
    place a high volume of fire accurately down range. The downside to this pistol is that it
    does take 4 rounds on average to down a target, and a minimum of 2 headshots (to a full-
    health target) to kill.

Desert Eagle - Also known as the Deagle, this is my recommendation for a sidearm, mainly
    because it's powerful. Unlike other sidearms, this pistol can take a target down in an
    average of 2 to 3 shots anywhere on the body, and still has controllable recoil. Remember,
    the main reason behind equipping a sidearm is for last-resort/backup scenarios. In the
    majority of situations, you will be facing a target with a more powerful weapon that has a
    higher rate of fire - not the time to be stealthy. if you want to win, you have to
    be able to take that target down in the least amount of shots as possible - and the desert
    eagle allows just that.

*I've become accustomed to using the USP w/ silencer due to its stealthy advantage in
    tactical games. However, I would still recommend the Desert Eagle to most players who are
    doubting their skills with a sidearm.

[4] Perks

Best

Stopping Power - This perk is by far the most valuable to a sniper. Even for snipers who
    aim only for headshots, there will be times where you hit a target somewhere below the head.
    The unmodified (w/o Perks) damage caused by a rifle bullet in regular is not enough to down
    a target in one body shot. Stopping Power increases this damage to allow the bullet to take
    down a target in one shot approximately 95% of the time.

*There are certain areas on a soldier that will prevent a one-shot-kill even with stopping
    power (discussed later in the guide).

Deep Impact - Another highly valuable perk to any sniper. There will be times when
    an enemy will manage to get behind cover just as you get your shot off, or an unexpected
    obstacle may interfere with your bullets path. Rather than wasting a shot, deep impact
    will allow the bullet to travel through the obstacle and deliver that fatal wound to the
    target.

*This perk is also valuable when facing a sniper behind weak cover. Rather than needing to
    get a headshot, you can take him out in one shot through the obstacle.

Bandolier - At first thought, a sniper shouldn't need extra ammo, right? Wrong. While you
    may be able to take down an enemy with every shot, bandolier can still be of assistance.
    For example, when picking up a weapon, bandolier will allow you to pick up more rounds than
    without the perk, which can be exceptionally helpful when confronted with multiple enemies
    in CQC.

Moderate

UAV Jammer
    - Just as the name says, this perk removes your signature (red blip) from UAV
    scans, but not when firing. It may be useful for sneaking around, but because there is a
    map that shows where shots are fired from there is little use for this perk in combat. UAV
    Jammer also takes up the slot for stopping power, meaning no more one-shot body kills. This,
    combined with the regenerative health system, may lead to more assists than actual kills.

Dead Silence - Another stealthy perk, Dead Silence allows you to travel almost silently.
    Similar to UAV Jammer, this perk appeals mostly to the stealthy sniper, but is it worth it?
    Well, without the perk, you are able to crouch or prone and make just as little noise. After
    serious thought, it would be contradictory to select a perk that decreases running/walking
    sounds because if you were trying to be stealthy you wouldn't be running! Crouching is a
    good habit to get into, not only because it makes less noise, but because it also decreases
    your size as a target.

C4 - I recommend using C4 much more than clays for the simple fact that it can both stick to
    walls. C4 is also very useful for guarding key areas, such as being placed under the bomb
    site in SD. Unlike claymores, the only sign a pack of C4 gives of its presence is a small
    red light, which is hardly noticeable. It can also be thrown great distances, allowing you
    to use it as a backup for hand grenades.

Overkill - This perk is useful if you expect to quickly engage in CQ battles. Allowing
    you to select two main guns (the second replacing your sidearm) - for example a sniper rifle
    and an AR/SMG can be equipped as a backup. In general, this perk is not recommended because
    with enough practice you can effectively combat targets with a pistol or manage to pick up a
    fallen soldier's weapon.

Poor

Extreme Conditioning
    - Improves the stamina of your character, allowing you to run increased
    distances. In general, I find that while this perk may be useful every once-in-a-while, such
    as when outrunning a grenade or sprinting across open areas, there are much more valuable
    perks available (such as bandolier).

Claymores - These nasty little things allow you to place them around key entrances/doorways
    to guard from enemy attacks. This perk is good if you plan on staying in one spot for a long
    period of time, but isn't recommended for a mobile sniper. There are also a few flaws with
    the claymore, including:

1) It projects long red lines, which the enemy may see and either choose to avoid entering,
    or destroy the claymore and proceed to eliminate you.

2) The sound made when planting a claymore is very loud and can easily give away your
    position.

3) If friendly fire is on, including explosives, you or your teammates may trigger the
    claymore, resulting in devastating friendly fire.

Irong Lungs - Increases the amount of time your character can hold his breath. This allows
    you more time to line up your shot with steady crosshairs. The major downside to this perk
    is that it promotes tunnel vision - staying in the scope for a long period of time. Tunnel
    vision decreases your situational awareness, and may leave you easily exposed from the flanks.

*Many players will use iron lungs to help them spot and take out distant enemies while only
    exposing themselves once. However, with practice, this same tactic can be applied without
    the perk selected.

[5] Quick Tips

Communicate - Work as a team! It's best to communicate enemy positions to your
    teammates (and vice-versa) as this will give you better situational awareness and more
    often than not the edge needed to take out the enemy.

Practice - Exactly as it says, practice! While playing in a 30 man TDM match may be
    an entertaining frenzy, it won't necessarily help you improve your skills. Joining a smaller
    server, especially one with more experienced players, will help you in three main aspects:

1) Spotting Targets - there won't be an easily visible target everywhere you look, so it
    will improve your spotting abilities.

2) Comfort Level - Practicing on smaller servers will help increase how comfortable you feel
    when confronted with more experienced players. Being uncomfortable and 'scared' to combat
    targets is the downfall of any player.

3) Shooting Skill - When faced with enemies who aim to specifically take you out, gunplay
    becomes much faster and you learn to eliminate targets much more quickly.

Stay Out of Scope - Staying in your scope greatly limits your field of view, and leaves
    you exposed to flanking targets. The majority of the time you should be spotting targets out
    of scope, only zooming in to take them out.

Pick Up Weapons - As a sniper you are at a disadvantage against enemies carrying stronger,
    more powerful weapons. Picking up weapons will aid you in clearing rooms and advancing
    through areas not suitable for sniper rifles.

*If you are comfortable with your pistol, I recommend using it. It has a faster draw time
    than larger weapons, allowing you to more quickly combat enemies that present themselves as
    a sudden threat.

[6] Basic Shooting Skills

The ability to shoot with precision and speed is a trademark skill of any good sniper. This
    skill takes time to master, but will improve with practice. However, there are a few
    universal tips to be told.

Always hold your breath when you bring up your scope. This will allow you to take an
    accurate shot almost immediately. Whenever you are in scope you should be ready to take a
    shot. Also, holding your breath before you emerge from cover is a very good habit to get
    into,

Don't wait for your clip to run out before reloading, especially with bolt action rifles.
    It takes much longer to reload 5 rounds than 1 or 2, so if you find yourself with some extra
    time, reload.

A habit I've become accustomed to is that if I can't spot a target by the time I take my
    first breath I unscope and immediately get behind cover, this allows me to stay exposed for
    as little time as possible. Also, don't use all your breath at once. Your initial breath
    (without iron lungs) lasts about 5 seconds, means you are also exposed for 5 seconds. If you
    use up all your breath it takes much longer to get your breathing pattern back to normal and
    allow you to take another breath.

One of the best skills a sniper can have is the ability to know where his crosshair is, even
    when not focusing on it. *Crosshair is referring to the inscope crosshair. Similar to
    knowing where the center of your screen is, this skill takes time to learn, but is
    invaluable in combat. By knowing where your crosshair is, and being able to accurately aim
    it without directly looking at it, you can track targets and instinctively adjust your aim to
    eliminate him. This knowledge of where your crosshair is located is a basic skill required
    for more advanced shots discussed later in the tutorial.
    Also, by understanding where your crosshair is, the amount of time it takes to line up
    a shot decreases enormously and you become a much quicker, more effective sniper.

Shooting should become instinctive, you shouldn't need to literally 'aim' at your target.

Finally, remember that you can shoot through objects! If an enemy is bairly visible over
    the top of a fence, don't always focus on getting a headshot. With deep impact your shot
    will easily slice through the wall and eliminate your opponent.

[7] Speed, Visiblity, and Cover

When exposing yourself to take a shot, it's best to know exactly where you will be exposed from.
    One common mistake snipers make is standing right next to a wall and leaning out. There are
    two main problems with this strategy. 1) Often times, while you may appear to be directly
    behind cover, part of your body may still be exposed. 2) If you lean back in, the enemy has
    a good idea of where you are behind the wall and may try to shoot you through it. Also, when
    you do expose yourself, do it quickly. Never slowly emerge from cover, as it will allow the
    enemy to see you before you can see him, creating a deadly situation for you.

After taking a shot it's best to duck back behind cover while you chamber your next round.
    What you want to avoid is standing out in the open taking consecutive shots, as this will
    not only leave you exposed, but it will give the enemy an easy target. Instead, what you
    should do is either reload or chamber your next round as you get behind cover, and emerge
    just as you finish the process. This technique will allow you to stay exposed only when you
    are able to return fire, and behind cover when reloading. Also, with enough practice and
    correct timing, this technique can be accomplished with extraordinary speed and devastating
    results.

For taking quick shots, remember that you can always shoot while crouching back behind
    cover. If you are behind a ledge, you can tap the prone key twice, making your character
    stand up then get right back behind cover, and take a shot while you are going behind cover.

*I used the example of going from prone -> standing -> prone. However, any combination
    of stances, such as prone -> crouch -> prone can be used just as effectively.

Grass is not your friend! While laying in the grass may provide you temporary cover from
    nearby enemies, it often leaves you exposed from distant enemies. Even with field of view
    off, grass can easily obstruct your view just enough to block an enemy, yet leave you
    visible to them. The only time I would recommend using a grassy area as a sniper spot is
    when you sit right behind the edge of a hill, which helps to minimize your silhoutte size.

If you are being shot at while behind cover, make random movements (such as going prone and
    leaning) to avoid getting hit. NEVER simply prone and stay still, and never keep moving
    at an even pace. Experienced players will almost always continue to fire at you through a
    wall, so you have to be ready to dodge the shots. If possible, trying turning around to face
    the opposite direction of your enemy to avoid getting shot in the head.

[8] Spotting and Counter Sniping

When looking for targets (out of scope) it is best to sidestep, lean, or make similar random
    movements. This is done because it makes it much harder for an enemy, specifically a sniper,
    to hit you. Never stay still (when exposed) for more than a few seconds.

Also, try to spot targets while out of scope. Look for subtle movements in key areas, such
    as alley ways, windows, etc. When you expose yourself to spot targets, make sure you are
    constantly checking all possibles angles. Finally, just because you can't see a target
    doesn't mean they aren't there. Never expose yourself for an extended period of time even
    if you don't see an enemy - they may just have found a very good spot.

If you find yourself being shot at and don't know where the shooter is located, don't pop
    right back out of cover to look for them. Wait a few seconds, as this will make the enemy
    either 1) Think you are going somewhere else, or 2) It will waste the remaining breath of
    the enemy if he's using a sniper rifle.

When facing an opposing sniper, never emerge from the same place twice. For example, if you
    are behind a car, either stand up behind the middle of it, crouch and lean along the sides,
    or prone by the wheels. This will give you an advantage over the other sniper as you not
    only have an idea as to where he is, but he doesn't know from which side you'll emerge -
    giving you that extra second to eliminate him.

If you cannot find an opposing sniper, do your best to change positions. They will most
    likely be in a window/doorway, or on the edge of a corner. If you still can't manage to
    locate them, try to draw their fire by quickly leaning around a corner. Most snipers will
    try to take a shot at you and most likely miss, giving you a better idea of their location.

Finally, be quick. The worst thing you can do is give the opposing sniper enough time to get
    an accurate shot off. It's best to fire, miss, and get back behind cover than wait for the
    perfect shot while standing in the open.

[9] Communication

My final suggestion, and probably one of the most important tips, is to communicate with
    your team. Even if nobody has a microphone, use the ingame chat to communicate enemy
    positions and allow your team to flank them.

Communication is invaluable, and not only because it helps spot targets. With cooperation,
    your team will be much more effective than the enemy. I currently use Ventrilo and Teamspeak
    with my team, and it's extremely helpful as they can provide backup when I get tangled up in
    a close quarters situation.

[10] Advanced Shots

Video/Tips coming soon!

[11] User-Submitted Tips

Alpha1.1 - I'd also put steady aim in the best category - makes the deagle lethal, no-scopes a tad more reliable!, and is obviously very handy if you pick up a weapon

Feel free to submit tips! I will be posting user-submitted content/tips in this section as
    I receive them. Either email, post, or PM me.

[12] Abbreviations

AR - Assault Rifle
    CQ - Close Quarters
    CQC - Close Quarters Combat
    Deagle - Desert Eagle
    OPFOR - Opposing Forces
    PR - Per Round
    SD - Search and Destroy
    SMG - Submachine gun
    SP - Stopping Power
    [b]VoIP[/b[ - Voice over IP
    W/ - With
    W/o - Without

[13] Sources

- Encyclanpedia
    - http://blandname.com/2007/11/12/call...-descriptions/

Re: Sniper Guide

Very nice.

Thanks for sharing K0dak.

Crunch
    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Cheers m8! Great tips and tricks

Can't wait for the advanced shots tutorial

Comment

Didn't read the whole post I just skipped through the sections, but it's a very good guide.

Comment

Thanks. Yeah, if you guys see any errors in it please feel free to let me know, I haven't even had the desire to read it in its entirety in a single sitting.

Comment

I'm gonna have to veto your USP tips. The USP has the same damage as the M9 and 1911 and the highest range values of any pistol. The only reason to take the Deag over the USP is the tighter crosshairs and Medium weapon class. Silencer is also evil, because it takes away the range, which is one of the nice things about the USP.

As for the weapon penetration, all of the snipers are the Large weapon class (save the Barrett), which, due to a bug, has the same penetration values as the Medium class, making the snipers penetrate the same surfaces at the same damage values as all of the assault rifles, light machine guns, the AK74, and the Deag.

As for the technique, I can't critique that as much because I don't snipe, but I've seen kodak's videos, and he's serious business. Good thread.

Comment

Originally posted by [t1] k0daK View Post
              Graphics wise, this includes removing field of view
              Did you mean "Depth of Field?"

Comment

Originally posted by Whiskey View Post
                Did you mean "Depth of Field?"
                Ahaha, yeah - thank you for that Whiskey, changing it now.

And thanks for the clarification on some of the weapon statistics BlackMage. But are you saying that the USP is basically just as good as the deagle?

Comment

Very, very nice k0dak! I'm a sniper most of the time (depending on the map) and this made me realise a heck of a lot more about being one than I actually thought I knew. Congratz!

Comment

Although it wont sway me to become a sniper.. I must say.. great guide man.

Comment

i am inspired to be a sniper now haha
                      EDIT: NOT irl

Comment

Nice guide

I'd also put steady aim in the best category - makes the deagle lethal, no-scopes a tad more reliable!, and is obviously very handy if you pick up a weapon

Another thing i'd recommend is lowering mouse sensitivity- the lower you go the easier long shots become & as you get better start increasing it back up

Comment

Thanks for the comments

And Alpha, I added your first suggestion to the user-submitted area. Also, it's strange because I like my sensitivity high lol.

Comment

Originally posted by [t1] k0daK View Post
                            Ahaha, yeah - thank you for that Whiskey, changing it now.

And thanks for the clarification on some of the weapon statistics BlackMage. But are you saying that the USP is basically just as good as the deagle?
                            I hold the USP and Deag to share top tier status, depending on your preferences. The USP has a wider shot group, but more manageable recoil in sights, better sights, a larger magazine, and a longer range. The Deag has a tighter group and more power.

Comment

You forgot to take the Coriolis effect into account. MacMillan doesn't approve of you...

Comment

Working...
                              X