wow.. im stupid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wow.. im stupid

this could be part of my problem. look at those numbers and then look at what i have:

1 PCI Express Video
    1 DVD/ CD
    1 Hard Drive
    1 Fan
    Mobo (of course)
    3GB RAM
    Core 2 duo processor

i put in some average numbers and i came up with 475watts???? how does my computer even run with a 405Wpsu inside?? and it run fairly well even. wierd huh? maybe thats part of the reason with my gpu troubles....hmmm yeah you can call me a retard i deserve it. wow commencing with new psu purchase quickly

Re: wow.. im stupid

This psu calculator is probably more accurate: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/p...ulatorlite.jsp

Comment

Watts don't mean everything.. look at the volt rails... your Graphics card might require a higher 12volt rail.

Comment

Watts = power, Amperage = current.

Both need to be calculated to make sure you have the correct power and current levels for your system. Just becuase a power supply is 500 watts or more does mean it will work properly for your system. Make sure that you also have the current levels (amps) to make proper use of your video card.

Newer video cards are requiring higher amp levels then previous models. My 8800 gt requires 26 amps on the 12 volt rail.

Comment

oh oops i actually got a 470w supply but still with that calculator and what i knew off the top of my head i was using about 445w and i read somewhere that psu is most efficient when loaded between 30-70% of max so i should probably just get a 650w or something anyways

Comment

Originally posted by Field View Post
            oh oops i actually got a 470w supply but still with that calculator and what i knew off the top of my head i was using about 445w and i read somewhere that psu is most efficient when loaded between 30-70% of max so i should probably just get a 650w or something anyways
            No, you should go to newegg.com, check DETAILED specs of each high-end PSU. You need at least 26A on at least one 12V output, just as Killerus said. The card along draws more than 300W when operates at peak consumption. It's not just about power. There are some 550W PSU out there that fits your purpose more than 650W ones. High-Wattage PSUs are mostly designed for server use. Gaming computers need different kinds of components. You'll probably need to spend another $150 to get proper PSU.

Yup, that's why I stick with crappy 7800GT.

Comment

Originally posted by AvalancheDiode View Post
              C'mon now... the 7800GT wasn't a bad card... still isn't. I've got two PCs running 7800 GTs in SLI right now and they're still pretty damn good machines.

I've moved on to newer, better stuff but whenever I let the kid play Crysis on my #1 machine, I'm still totally comfortable playing everything else under the sun on one of those two 7800 GT SLI rigs.

Comment

Originally posted by AvalancheDiode View Post
                No, you should go to newegg.com, check DETAILED specs of each high-end PSU. You need at least 26A on at least one 12V output, just as Killerus said. The card along draws more than 300W when operates at peak consumption. It's not just about power. There are some 550W PSU out there that fits your purpose more than 650W ones. High-Wattage PSUs are mostly designed for server use. Gaming computers need different kinds of components. You'll probably need to spend another $150 to get proper PSU.

well thats not all that offputting if im actually planning to keep this computer for another few years. and i didnt end up actually keeping a new graphics card so im willing to spend some money on something else.

what i dont get is why so high of amperage? 26A? i mean i know thats what the computer/ gpu needs but it just seems like hellot of current going through little frail components.

Comment

well thats not all that offputting if im actually planning to keep this computer for another few years. and i didnt end up actually keeping a new graphics card so im willing to spend some money on something else.

what i dont get is why so high of amperage? 26A? i mean i know thats what the computer/ gpu needs but it just seems like hellot of current going through little frail components.
                  Simple. To get higher processing speed, in terms of rendered frames per second, a parallel system of matrix processing units is required. It means that the GPU structure is made of more pipelines, more shader units and all of them connected in parallel. That means if one unit draws 1A, 10 units draw 10A, and you still have other stuff around, so it gets worse. Modern semiconductors are already driven at frequency range which copper and silicon can still convey without serious loss. Sorry, but this is the only way to do it before integrated optical device, GaAs circuits or quantum control mechanism can be put into commercial market with reasonable price for average consumer.

Comment

yeah i understood the 10units 10 amps part. part. and semiconductors...uh like transistors thyristors and such? im not sure what your talking about with GaAs or quantum control mechanisms that sounded a bit hokey to me. what do you do for a living?

Comment

yeah i understood the 10units 10 amps part. part. and semiconductors...uh like transistors thyristors and such? im not sure what your talking about with GaAs or quantum control mechanisms that sounded a bit hokey to me. what do you do for a living?
                      Not by teaching math.

Comment

well i figured you were in the electronics field or you were a computer hardware guy or something i mean look at your name. its AvalanacheDiode. THats waay to nerdy a name for you to have some miscellaneous job done by a stupid person.

Comment

Nah, just another Dilbert type.

And you never know who the miscellaneous job worker you just met. Maybe he's the one who knows how to build anti-stupidity gun.

Comment

Working...
                          X