ok so i bought an 8800GT and..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok so i bought an 8800GT and..

it made absolutely no difference with my framerate, i am still running all low getting 30-50fps on average and it still gets choppy on 64 man servers...what is wrong. i have 2.66Ghz dual core and 2GB ram recognized by the game. the recommended power for the card is 425W but i have a 405W. would that caus it to seriously dial back its performance?? caus then its a possibility that maybe if i took out a 512MB ram stick maybe id have enough power for it to work properly?? but then i didnt get a low power message on boot up so im kind of confused.. i am confused and dissappointed

if the game still stutters with this 8800GT installed for some reason possibly other than the power issue, and i have 2GB ram for the game.....would it be smarter to just return the card and maybe get more ram for my comp? if i had say 4GB RAM seen by the game instead of 2GB would that make a better difference for playing on large servers and having good framerate??

its wierd because i try playing single player with maxed out graphics and it runs it pretty smooth which makes sense because it is an 8800GT. i had a 7900GS and it couldnt really do that as well. but then this new card runs CoD4 on maxed settings with acceptable framerate...but then when i go and play bf2142 on all low settings i see relatively no increase in framerate from when i had the 7900GS.

eh? is it my power?? my 2.66Ghz dual core? not enough ram?? my FRAMERATE hasnt increased and that is all i wanted from getting a new card and wasting all that money. that and i CANNOT upgrade my power because i have a DELL and nobody makes fancy power supplies for my comp higher than 405W OMG FFS.

Seriously all i want is a steady 60fps on low settings for any server that i go onto i dont know why its that hard

Re: ok so i bought an 8800GT and..

Having a less then necessary Power for a card will not only drop framerate, it will destroy your card, motherboard and processor. Simply put, DON'T DO IT. Take that card out until you have sufficient power.

Comment

you didnt read that it ran CoD4 on max setting real smooth but hardly did anything in terms of improving the framerate for this game.

Comment

I don't think you understood me, not having enough power for a card is BAD. No, let me rephrase that...

You WILL eventually (most often sooner rather than later) destroy your entire computer by having a major power drainer like a GPU in a computer without sufficient power. PSUs aren't that expensive, so just take out the card until you can afford a $75 PSU. Your GPU will overheat, or cause a power surge in the MoBo which WILL fry EVERYTHING. This isn't a question of if, its a question of when.

Comment

Originally posted by Field View Post
          it made absolutely no difference with my framerate,

Exact same thing happend to me, can't wait to see what people say.

Hope you can fix that problem

Comment

Even if other games work you need a new PSU anyway. As fingulfin said, it can destroy your whole computer, get one with at least 500W (or more if you plan to really upgrade a lot)

Comment

The power supply would make no difference to your frame rates. I assume you mean core duo 2 when you say you have a dual core processor? Your 8800GT system is probably using about 200-300 watts under load anyhow, that's your system not just the card.

If so and with that card you should be getting really good frame rates. Are you using 2142s ingame frame rate switch to get your readings?

Could you post your system specs.

Comment

he has underpower and that will lead into problems with your mobo(it probebly destroid mine). so buy a more powerfull psu unless you want to spend 250 euro on your pc instead of 75. and trooperjac: there are also dual core processors(2 p4 on eachother). i have that.

Comment

I upgraded my graphics card and I been using a 8600 GTS on my 250w psu for about 6 months now. But the recommended is 350w. Is it really that bad?

Anyway, you should easily get over 60fps with that card and rig, even on high.

When I upgraded my graphics card, I only noticed a difference when I deleted the cashe. So try that. What resolution you playing it on anyway?

Comment

i play on all low settings with 800x600 resolution. yeah im kinda confused myself

Comment

Originally posted by TrooperJac View Post
                      The power supply would make no difference to your frame rates. I assume you mean core duo 2 when you say you have a dual core processor? Your 8800GT system is probably using about 200-300 watts under load anyhow, that's your system not just the card.

If so and with that card you should be getting really good frame rates. Are you using 2142s ingame frame rate switch to get your readings?

Could you post your system specs.
                      Actually Jac, your PSU does make a difference to your framerate IF you don't have enough wattage. If the card isn't getting enough juice, its not pumping out graphics like it should. It will also overheat easier, which also significantly lowers framerate.

Comment

yeah fin, what im gonna do is pull this one out return it and try getting the 9600 that was also there which requires about 25 less watts. i looked at psu s a while ago and this was the highest Watt one that was available for this computer so i need to work around it. ultimately yes im either need to somehow get a better power source or just get a new comp that you can get a better psu for in the future. *future*

Comment

Originally posted by Field View Post
                          yeah fin, what im gonna do is pull this one out return it and try getting the 9600 that was also there which requires about 25 less watts. i looked at psu s a while ago and this was the highest Watt one that was available for this computer so i need to work around it. ultimately yes im either need to somehow get a better power source or just get a new comp that you can get a better psu for in the future. *future*
                          Why don't you stop being awkward and get a decent PSU like as specified above. Also, the 9600 is only marginly faster than the 8800GTS therefore, that would be a waste of money, hell if your computer blows due to a crappy PSU you would have wasted your money lol

Out of interest what make is your PSU, if its one that came with a case and reads 430W it more than likely will not output this and in turn as mentioned above will cause a surge throughout your pc as not enough power is getting into each component.

Comment

Well I guess if the card isn't being fed enough juice it might run slower as your effectively underclocking it, still not convinced however. I reckon the thing just wouldn't work. I don't think this is Field's issue. Post your specs man so we can get to the bottom of this, If your not getting playable frames at 800x600 on an 8800 there is some serious **** going wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Field
                              i play on all low settings with 800x600 resolution. yeah im kinda confused myself
                              WTF!!?? Then there is a hidden problem. You should easily get good fps with those settings. Even crap graphics cards could run at those settings...lol.

You also need to delete all your old drivers and install the new ones. Also delete your cashe.

Comment

Working...
                              X