my rig -fps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my rig -fps

Was wondering if I am getting the right fps seconds with my rig and whether there is a way to increase them.

Specs.

Pentitum 4 3.06ghz
    3gb ram
    150gb HD
    8600 GTS OC 256mb
    window xp sp2

My settings are 1280x960. Settings are on medium, but with AA shadows and lighting off/low.

I get about 30-40 fps. But drops down to about 20 fps during arties or if I play on servers with more than 24 players or on titans; and makes it almost unplayable.

Does this seem right to any techie guys out there? And is there any ways to get more fps?

Cheers.

Re: my rig -fps

try to derfag your pc. close all you dont want to be running. (for preventing software to start up with your system go to run and type msconfig. close all you dont want to start and you will be fine.

Comment

The P4 is a bottleneck. Your other specs are really OK but you should be able to play on highest settings with very little lag (it's BF you know) if you get a good dual core processor.

Comment

yeah other than actually buying stuff it does seem like defragging the hard drive and deleting those cache files for the shaders once in a while makes it run a bit smoother but that could be my imagination

Comment

Does defragging make such a difference? And is it worth upgrading the cpu?

Comment

like i said it might be my imagination. probly depends on the computer, computers are complicated. its annoying caus making your comp faster is like making a car faster everything together improves performance, if theres a bottleneck somewhere everything is going to suffer somehow

on that same not what i got is

Pentium 2.66Ghz Dual Core
            WindowsXP
            2.6GB RAM
            GeForce 7900GS 256MB card

how would snagging one of those 520MB 8800GS cards help my frames? some people said it would make a huge difference but if my processor is supposedly not good than maybe i shouldnt??

Comment

Originally posted by Field
              like i said it might be my imagination. probly depends on the computer, computers are complicated. its annoying caus making your comp faster is like making a car faster everything together improves performance, if theres a bottleneck somewhere everything is going to suffer somehow

on that same not what i got is

Pentium 2.66Ghz Dual Core
              WindowsXP
              2.6GB RAM
              GeForce 7900GS 256MB card

how would snagging one of those 520MB 8800GS cards help my frames? some people said it would make a huge difference but if my processor is supposedly not good than maybe i shouldnt??
              If you aren't being bottlenecked by your Processor/RAM, an 8800GTS will make a HUGE difference. Right now I have one, and I get around 80-100FPS with maxed out graphics... And I am being bottlenecked by my Processor AND RAM. What it would be like if I wasn't being bottlenecked is the stuff of dreams

My next upgrade ($1000) will fix that, sadly it will take me some time to conjure up the cash.

Comment

you know thats the whole annoying thing about having a nice comp is you need money, i mean im able to work hard and im a motivated person but the prospect of getting a job just doesnt seem that exciting to me lol

that must have been a really nice feeling turning on the game for the first time with that card.....

but yeah...money..im not looking forward to getting a job really

Comment

Yeah if you get the 512 version of the 8800GTS it's a dream coming true. I have it and play with about 80-100 FPS as well with all settings at very high.

An 8800GS isn't a very good card for the money, get a 9600GT instead or something.

Comment

Any answers to my questions above pls???

Comment

it depends. if your disc isnt fragmented it wont make much difference. but if it is it can make a huge difference. it basecly makes the search for files quicker. and if you use professional software it can speed up the searching by giving the files a logical order.

Comment

My disk is partitioned in two pieces. How does searching for files quicker help in-game then? What do you recommend to use to defrag?

Comment

ehm i would advice you O&O defrag if you want to pay but if not use first the standart defrag software. else search on google or youtube. also use ccleaner. and searching for files makes the game in game faster as there is less load on the processor and hdd so you can swap faster data with your virtual memory(if there is anything inside). and if you put them into an order it wont take as much time as usual to find files. so you dont have to wait till they are loaded.

Comment

A defrag will most likely not make your game run with better FPS but it can make the maps load faster and stuff ^^

O&O defrag is really good, they have a trial. The windows default one is good anyway.

Comment

Is it worth upgrading my processor if my mobo allows it? How tricky is it and how much can I get a decent one for?

Comment

Working...
                              X