Can DSL handle 64 player maps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can DSL handle 64 player maps?

There is talk in my household about switching from Cable to DSL to save money. I am wondering whether this type of change would negatively effect being able to play on 64 player maps.

What type of upload speed would I need to have in order to keep playing problem free?

Are there other game related factors that I should know about in regards to switching from Cable to DSL?

Re: Can DSL handle 64 player maps?

I have had DSL from day one and have never had issues. With my current system specs, with Vista 64, I am running all video settings at high, with framerates maxed out at 102fps, with absolutely no lag, it is butter smooth........... at $15 a month for DSL, it's hard to beat although I would like to switch to cable for the difference in speed for other aspects, but it is hard to justify cost ........

Comment

LOL OWNED

Comment

That is reassuring that DSL should be enough for BF2.

What kind of upload speed are you guys getting?

With cable I'm getting around 480. I share the connection but make sure I've got the internet when I'm in BF2.

My friend has DSL through his cell phone which is almost as crappy as dial up. Another friend of mine has DSL which lags on BF2, but another friend of mine has no problems. (I believe they both have AT&T).

I definately don't mind saving money, so I won't dismiss the idea of changing.

Comment

If they have AT&T, that depends on what speed you get.

I have the 2nd tier DSL (1.5 mbits down, 256 kbits up) and it works fine for playing all online games.

Comment

If I can play fine with a 512kbit ADSL connection, then you will be fine.

Comment

If you're talking BF2 - I'd look for MINIMUM 128k upstream. Some newer games 256k.

EOF

Comment

I'm out in the boonies of northwest Colorado on 1.5mb/s. It sucks for most servers, have a low average of about 89 ping. However, go for AT&T's 8mb if you can!

Comment

I got DSL but usually play 32 player maps.

But it will work with 64 as well.

Comment

I will see how the 256K prices out.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by Paulverisor128 View Post
                      I will see how the 256K prices out.

Thanks for your help!
                      256k UP! Not 256k down. 256k up is about 1.5mb/s DSL. (1.5mb down.)

Comment

It all depends on the speed and the pipe they hook you up with. Here in Toronto, Rogers Cable caps the load, so even though the speed is nice, it's still capped. DSL is telephone line internet. It all depends on the cap. A T1 is telephone line internet also. I know in Las Vegas, Expedius offers T1 transfers of 1.5 up and down, which can be converted to 768KB up and down with 10 VOIP phone lines.

DryLoop DSL is another option if it's available - that's what I'm getting next month in my new place.

Comment

Working...
                        X