Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mysterious lag

Hi all,

Since I bought a new system, I keep experiencing strange lag and freezes in 2142. The players around me like slide over the surface while sticking instead of running smoothly.
    Also, I often get a 'there is a problem with your connection' on my screen somethimes coupled with a ping peak up to 900 =s. This mostly happens when there is more action, or when I just see an enemy guy, so they have like 4 seconds to aim on my head.. Hard to kill me then eh?

When I play I usually have a ping of 10 to 40, which shouldn't cause lag. I also have an FPS of up to 150 when playing (1680x1050 with everything high), so it isn't my system lagging. (q6600, 8800gt, 4gb ram etc.)

At first, I thought it was Vista being crappy, so I made a dualboot. Now I have both Vista and XP pro (sp2), but in XP I still have the lag and ping peaks.

I've fullly updated and even reinstalled punkbuster. I've opened all bf2142 ports/firewalls. Then reinstalled bf2142 several times. I defragmentated my disk. Updated drivers, even tried downgraded versions of drivers. I've of course updated bf to 1.40 patch. This all didn't make any difference.

When I read other people's problems on forums, I often find that a wireless connection may cause lag. However, on my previous system, I never had lag, altough I couldn't play at such high settings. (more like 1024x768, medium)

I'm suspecting the wireless adapter in this new computer.. It's a Dlink DLW 510G, while my other comp had a Linksys i-dont-know-what-model.

Does anyone else have other suggestions?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Ok give this a go.

Click Start > Run, Type in cmd and hit enter. In the DOS box type;
    ping www.google.com -t
    Leave it running for a minute or two and then hit Ctrl+C.
    That'll show you any packet loss/ping issues you have.

If it turns out you do have issues then it is probably your wireless card.
    Is it possible to try an old card that you know worked fine?

EDIT -

Did a quick search on your wireless card and found this thread;

Apparently this solved it for him;

Actually, the problem is this: you are using the old D-Link drivers from over a year ago, you need to get the ralink drivers (they make the chip that D-Link use in the card) from www.ralink.com.tw you have a RT61 chipset I believe

I had this problem also (I have 256/64 ADSL), but it went away after this, now also I should mention, if you ping your router in the command prompt you will see packet loss every x packets, this is absolute proof it is the drivers and not your connection.

I also suggest switching between wireless zero config and the ralink config utility and pinging the router once you are all set up to check the problem doesn't persist (just right click on the Ra icon in the system tray)
    Good Luck

Comment

Ok I'll give it a try.. Thanks man..

I called the EA helpdesk just before I read your post.

The first guy who I got on the phone asked me what ping was :shock:
      Then he hang up.
      Then I called again and the second guy asked me whether I had updated the videocard drivers, I told him I did, and then he said "ah I can't help you then".

EA is a total joke..:shakehead:

Comment

Originally posted by joostscorpio View Post
        EA is a total joke..:shakehead:
        I've never heard anything more true in my life.

Comment

It worked SpungE!

@ James: lol

Comment

Happy fragging

Comment

LOL OWNED

Comment

Re: Mysterious lag

LOL OWNED

Comment

Re: Mysterious lag