PC Gaming Thriving or Dying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Gaming Thriving or Dying?

Is PC gaming thriving or dying? Read this interesting story at MSNBC.com: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23800152/

In the old days, the best-seller lists were dominated by first-person shooters and adventure games. Now, those games have migrated to the consoles. It’s a paradigm shift that many PC gamers find hard to take.
    That's where I'm at. I saved & saved to buy a nice gaming rig while my friends went and bought X360s.

Its ******** tbqh.

*Maybe I'll work on this response when ive got some sleep*

Comment

I dont think PC gaming is dying, its just that consoles are getting much bigger now. Most people would rather buy a console since its cheaper and easier to use. Also, the fact that more games, especially shooters, are going to the consoles is really sad. Shooters are where PC's are supreme.

Comment

i 100% agree with Voop.. it sucks that the games are going to Console.. i was Pssd oFF when CoD3 didnt make it to pc.. but like voop said.. consoles are getting soo advanced u just have to slide a game in and it works everytime (with the exception to console faults).. but PC gaming will NEVER die.. we wont let it

Comment

Since when do they care about PC gaming?

Comment

PC gaming is dying to an extent as the current Gen consoles are shiny and still new they will get attention for a while. PC gaming Shines once the consoles have settled in. Cause at the moment we suffer from Ports or "Conversions". So until the consoles are settled in like the PS2 and Xbox once was we will just have to put up with the games being made

Comment

It's mostly down to the PC manufacturer's in my opinion (such as Dell etc.). Most regular people do not have the adequate knowledge to buy a PC that could do this or that and they usually cost loads from manufacturers. This means that sometimes, the end user gets some low-end computer which they don't know of and start complaining about, "This game's graphics are crap!" when it's actually their problem.

The console fixes this because there's only one set specification for it. They see awesome graphics on it, they buy it and know for sure they can get that.

My opinion is, if the PC manufacturers started making buying the PC in more English than Megahertz and Gigabytes then we'd see a much stronger market for PC gaming ... But hey, that's only my opinion ...

Comment

There is a certain stagnation in the release of high quality games. Most seem to be merely copying each other.

Comment

Its not dying, its going "mainstream". The most obvious truth is the path all Tom Clancy tactical realism sims have gone (they used to be realism benchmarks for the whole gaming community, not anymore). Just so you know, Ubisuck has purchased all rights to all Tom Clancy titles, so you can expect Tom Clancy Battleracers soon.

You can partially blame the huge development costs, which are nearing, if not passing Hollywood B grade movie production costs. Its not uncommon if todays AAA titles production costs goes beyond the first dozen million dollars. So the niche markets are not profitable anymore.

To be honest, 1995-2004 was the golden era of videogaming (might be different for the old school guys), from now on, I dont even know what good we have to expect.

Comment

We'll see what BF3 brings. BFBC itself is rather revolutionary

Kaheiyeh is right though... One of the biggest reasons console gaming is starting to become really big is that more and more people are starting to game on a regular basis. Around 2000 the people that played games had more knowledge about computers in general... And why buy a gaming rig when you don't understand how it works? With a console you just put in the DVD and you're ready to play without having to worry about PB issues or mysterious CTD's. Or bad performance.

That's what I think at least

Comment

Doomsday people and console fanboys have been saying it for a long time

and its untrue

theres a lot of money to be made in the genre but simply put its easier to sell and make money off consoles and easier to produce games for them (lower costs and lower quality)

You would all know it if PC gaming died, it would hit you in the face like a wet fish at the sudden avalanche of utterly ****e games with no decent ones in site /flameoff

I wouldnt worry about it much, PC gaming liek hardware has its cycles, goes through times where things seem to be plain sailing and other times when teh **** hits the fan, till the next big idea comes out that makes devs lives easier, and people always thought DX10 was just for eye candy

Comment

i feel that more computer games are focusing on graphics more than gameplay, although its not a bad thing, the better the graphics the better the machine, and unless you are a dedicated pc gamer/rich git, you wont be able to play the latest games due to not having the correct hardware.

I consider myself a dedicated pc gamer but even i dont have the greatest system, just about runs cod4 atm, but i am also finding the local game/gamestation shops have such a limited choice for pc games, and i bet in about 1 or 2 years, pc game stocks in retail shops will be even smaller due to the trouble of having to keep updating pc hardware to play the latest games.

P.S. dont have to read it, cos i dont think it makes sense :laugh:

Comment

^^QFT!!!!

nothing sucks more than going out and paying a few grand on a "high-end" gaming rig only to find out a game coming out in a few months time is going to pwn ur system like a fat kid with a candy bar.. :cry:

Comment

No market will ever collapse, they will only fluctuate. There are certain games that seem to be only fully playable on consoles and PCs. I hate FPS on consoles. On the subject of hating, I hate consoles full stop. I'll always stay with PC for my gaming requirement.

On your PS3, can you minimise out of your game and talk about your amazing kill streak on TotalBF2? Can you do your homework on your Xbox 360? Can you access your bank on your Wii? Can you open up Photoshop, create kickass creative art, load it into your Source-engine based multiplayer game and spray it on the wall?

Actually, you probably can do some of these things, if not all, but people don't care about that. Gaming consoles are expected to exist by users only for gaming. And there will be people such as myself who always stand by computers.

Although I've just realised, I haven't bought any software for at least a year.

Comment

Working...
                            X