Today's rant!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today's rant!

I think 2142 is great - by far and away the PC game that I put most time into. But at times, god does it infuriate me!

I'm sure we've all had rounds that nothing appeared to go right and tonight was no exception. I've convinced myself that 24 player a-side Camp Gib is just a joke. We were running around in close groups of three and four - helping out with medic hubs and ammo boxes. But it was just utter carnage. The only guys who seemed to be doing well were the snipers, taking easy pickings from range. The mini-map was awash with red and blue blips - seemingly mixed in a constant display of total chaos.

Fun? Hardly. I quit after a score of around 11-11. Get up die. Get revived. Nail the bloke who killed you then revive the guy who was killed reviving you. I actually found it quite boring, imo. On top of that, the server (or server engine, should I say) simply cannot handle and compute so many bodies in such a close proximity.

I had the Clark at one point - which is always useful in titan defense or attack. Close up, it should have been great. Spotted an EU guy around the corner - BAM, damn didn't kill him - side step - BAM (white circle crosshair flashes again) but still he's not dead. Comes charging at me with a knife and after a third hit, he finally gets nailed by matey-boy at the side of me with the Voss.

Then back to the thinking man's 2142 - titan mode. I was on EU and defending my titan. After my screen being a blur of black-wearing PACs just a few moments earlier, I had totally forgot about being EU as I entered corridor 1 and met Mr. PAC there. I calmly walked past him, before I heard the 'schlick' noise of the knife. You're playing as EU you FOOL!. 'Schlick' again - still 100% health for me. By that time and with him going for the third knifing in a row (this bloke was like 2ft from me) I gave him a blast of the Voss and killed him outright. WTF happened there?!? I came out the winner in that encounter, but the system had clearly cheated the poor bloke of an easy and legitimate dog-tag.

In my eutopian world - 2142 would at least be consistent! :laugh:

Ha!~ 32 Players per side is when the fun begins.

Comment

Originally posted by XxSTAM1NAxX View Post
      No way man - that would just be crazy!

Comment

The schlick thing alwas happens with the knife. I think it is just random at this point.

Comment

the schlick thing is pc controlled hitting is server. you can see dust comming of a target but if you dont get a hit indicator you missed. if you get a hit indicator it means you have hit. then and only then the server says you have hit the target.

Comment

Originally posted by Unzen
            No way man - that would just be crazy!
            Yes, it is.

Why you didn't do nade spam on congested Camp Gib is out of my comprehension. This is what you should do on these condition:

Recon: sniping if you are good. Bunny hopping RDX and APM spam are also extremely effective. I once did 22-9 just doing that on 64p Camp G.

Assault: Not much you can do. Either go tag hunting with radar and smoke nades or spam PK rockets in all directions.

Engineer: haven't done that yet, but in theory you can spam MM and then followed by MMB towards grouped enemy.

Support: Spam sentry, nade and even RDX shotty. Great opportunity to get RDX shotty kills. Just spam them in all directions.

Comment

"Utopian"

Anyways, I don't see how you can like Titan Defense / Attack if you don't like Camp G with more than 24 players per side. Titan Defense / Attack, even with less people, should be comparable, if not worse, than a Camp G map in terms of hit detection and overall confusion.

Of course, Camp G is a very different kind of game. You just have to get used to it, not play one round and think that it's stupid. Of course, it's also up to you in terms of play style. I play Titan mode a lot but I almost never attack / defend the Titan. To each their own I guess. The Clark works fine for most people in Camp G... BF2142 is surprisingly good at handling a large number of players. You really begin to respect the programmers when you realize how well they managed to make it run, even if at times, the overall game can be extremely glitchy. People always complain about the netcode but try to name any other first-person shooter that can actually even handle 64 total players (I actually don't know any, although another one may exist). I'm still in awe at how they managed to get it to work reasonably well.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghiblian View Post
                "Utopian"

Anyways, I don't see how you can like Titan Defense / Attack if you don't like Camp G with more than 24 players per side. Titan Defense / Attack, even with less people, should be comparable, if not worse, than a Camp G map in terms of hit detection and overall confusion.

Of course, Camp G is a very different kind of game. You just have to get used to it, not play one round and think that it's stupid. Of course, it's also up to you in terms of play style. I play Titan mode a lot but I almost never attack / defend the Titan. To each their own I guess. The Clark works fine for most people in Camp G... BF2142 is surprisingly good at handling a large number of players. You really begin to respect the programmers when you realize how well they managed to make it run, even if at times, the overall game can be extremely glitchy. People always complain about the netcode but try to name any other first-person shooter that can actually even handle 64 total players (I actually don't know any, although another one may exist). I'm still in awe at how they managed to get it to work reasonably well.
                Lol - my mistake on the typo! :laugh:

Fair point about the game and netcode. It is pretty impressive to be sat in a FAV on full boost, with me sat in England and the driver somewhere in Russia - and keep it all relatively in sync. I think I'd just want it consistently bad or consistently good - which unless we all get the same spec PC and very quick broadband - it ain't going to happen.

Titan attack and defense is a whole lot more 'logical' and straight-forward, I think. After all, once the shields are down - there's only four ways into the titan itself for the attackers. But it does suffer from appalling hit detection at times - especially if the titan is moving.

I guess it's each to their own, like you say. I've played a bit of Camp Gib with 16 and 24 players and it works really well - but it can just go a little silly. I did think on the earlier Gib level to be a lame nade spammer and just sit behind a low wall lobbing nades at random red blobs on the mini map. It does make for a frentic game, but after a while you just rely on luck and the server at least trying to keep a lid on things - rather than 100% skill. Which is what any FPS worth its salt should be based on.

Comment

Originally posted by XxSTAM1NAxX View Post

i have started playing 16 player camp g servers more now.. getting fed up with the nade spam and congestion on 32 and 64 man camp g servers. its amazing how much points and teamwork can be achieved in 16 man gibs also!.

clanmod helps as well as thats proper gameplay

Comment

ya clan mod is really good for Camp G.

Comment

Originally posted by sempf View Post
                      the schlick thing is pc controlled hitting is server. you can see dust comming of a target but if you dont get a hit indicator you missed. if you get a hit indicator it means you have hit. then and only then the server says you have hit the target.
                      Not necessarily, I've got a mate who has 2 videos of himself knifing somebody else with the hit indicator up, but the victim did NOT die! and had to be knifed again.

24v24 camp G actually lends itself for the best experience in the map, as it allows for a nice variety of choke points but still lets enough room for people to get through and stop the stalemate, and there's no shortage of kills around either. 32v32 is fun, but I find too prone to spam.

Comment

speaking about knifing, this EU guy on camp g tried to knife me as i was ealking away, and eventually i noticed him and shot him with my pistol, then went on a rampage with the pistol before i tripped an APM mine.
                        btw, =SOC=blade111 is a cheater, if anone sees him. he laid RDX and set it off at his feet and he didnt die, but i did, trying to knife him.
                        EDIT: to make things clearer, i tried to knife him, but he threw down RDX and set it off, killing me but not him.

Comment

Up to 48 players CG is awesome as long as it doesn't come to the infamous CentralCamp/Ruins stalemate where no team really does any progress

Infact all maps are a lot of fun! Damn this game is awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by -UtC- Iquere « View Post
                            Up to 48 players CG is awesome as long as it doesn't come to the infamous CentralCamp/Ruins stalemate where no team really does any progress
                            ya... thats hell on earth.....
                            i remember one hard fight around CC and i ran out of ammo for my krylov then got out my pistol and got 3 EU guys in the face. that was fun. :yay:

Comment

Originally posted by hooahguy View Post
                              speaking about knifing, this EU guy on camp g tried to knife me as i was ealking away, and eventually i noticed him and shot him with my pistol, then went on a rampage with the pistol before i tripped an APM mine.
                              btw, =SOC=blade111 is a cheater, if anone sees him. he laid RDX and set it off at his feet and he didnt die, but i did, trying to knife him.
                              EDIT: to make things clearer, i tried to knife him, but he threw down RDX and set it off, killing me but not him.
                              i was on the server with you last night. i dont think they cheat matey the =soc= clan just exploit the ff off option by running around rdxing everyone in sight. A lot of us off the forum knifed him a while back when he was a pretty high ranking player but most had the problem you have mentioned of him rdxing. If you go on their server again i wouldnt bother playing against them. i joined their team on the second round and stayed for 3 or 4 after..... it wasnt a surprise at all that we won all the rounds thanks to their "skilled efforts".

they wouldnt last 2 seconds in a proper match :nod:

Comment

Working...
                              X