Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BF2 Crash to Desktop

Hi all,

I'm suffering from BF2 Crashing to the Desktop. Just after clicking the icon, the screen goes black, and just before the "EA Games" logo would normally appear, the screen flickers and goes back to the desktop.

I read through the Support FAQ and followed all steps recommended in there.

My system:
    Cyberpower Laptop
    T7700 Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz
    4 GB RAM
    nVidia 8600M GT Video Card w/512 MB RAM
    Windows Vista Ultimate x64 Edition

UAC is disabled and my shortcut is set for Windows XP Service Pack 2 Compatibility.

My video.con file (in default profile) is set to
    VideoSettings.setResolution 800x600@59Hz (my laptop's screen runs at 59Hz Refresh rate)

I've also set my shortcut as follows (and have tried it without):
    BF2.exe +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1680 +szy 1050

I've tried all of this and have had no luck. I've never gotten the game to run on this machine. I do have another computer (much older) that has 2 GB RAM, Athlon San Diego and a 7600 GT 256MB card with Vista 32 and have no trouble (other than the game running a bit choppy).

I am so hoping to be able to play this on my much faster laptop and am confident there is an answer out there somewhere.

One note: The Event Viewer shows that "A request to disable the Desktop Window Manager was made by process (BF2.exe)" and is then followed by "The Desktop Window Manager was unable to start because composition was disabled by a running application." I've tried disabling themes and desktop composition, but no effect.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Mark

What version of Battlefield 2 are you playing?

Have you tried making Battlefield 2 a Low Priority application?

Comment

I'm running 1.41 after having patched according to the order lined out in the support FAQ.

I hadn't tried running it as low priority. After launching BF2.exe, I accessed the Task Manager and right clicked the process and set the priority to low.

Sorry, no luck. Thank you for the suggestion though!

Comment

Hmmm....well I've heard of problems that involve Windows 64-bit and Battlefield 2, and doing a little google search I found these two links, with two different solutions. You could also try reinstalling and re-patching the game, but of course theres no guarantee it will solve the problem.

Keep up to date with the latest announcements & discussions on the hot topics.

(XP 64-bit) http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?showtopic=31665

Comment

I just bought a new pc. I had problems with the game crashing. After googleing it for 2 hours with no luck, i updated the video card drivers and have had no problems since.

Comment

Re: BF2 Crash to Desktop

I just set up my new PC and had this problem. The solution for me was to delete the Battlefield 2 folder from /User/documents folder. (Probably only need to clear cache, but i deleted the entire folder).

Comment

BF2 wont run at 59Hz, you need to set the refresh rate to 60Hz.
              Thank you for visiting the TechnologyGuide network. Unfortunately, these forums are no longer active. We extend a heartfelt thank you to the entire community for their steadfast support—it is really you, our readers, that drove

Comment

Yes, I found the same thing a year or two ago when I got a laptop with a 50Hz screen. BF2 only runs if I use an external screen with at least 60Hz refresh. (BF1942 and many other games runs fine though.) I had another game that was similarly blocked and they released a patch to add 50-59Hz support so I was hoping the BF2 might do the same.

Comment

Working...
                X