Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tiny game design niggles, that you have to put up with!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiny game design niggles, that you have to put up with!

Some of mine....
    • Rear view in the driver's position of the APC. Those bloody RDX planters can't be seen at times!
    • Walker when it goes into to stupid lurch-stumble mode. Jump out and then back in and everything is fine.
    • Titan turrets need a few degrees higher elevation - titan AA turrets need a few degrees lower elevation.
    • FAV and APC machine guns do diddly-squat to the aircraft. Now that I really do hate. Even if it took five minutes of constant fire to bring down a gunship or transport - at least it would be doing something.
    • Why do the AA turrets on the tanks have different elevation angles?
    • Autobalance being over-zealous and you seem to constantly change sides during a round.
    • FF should be permanently on. Period.
    • And the worst? When you jump down a chimney on titan attack - land on your feet fine and see two enemy looking at you. Why on earth, at random times, can you not fire??? I've lost track of how many stupid deaths I've had doing that, because the game decides I can't fire straight away. Other times it works fine.

The game does not remember any of the mouse keys I have assigned, and I have to reassign them every time I boot up.

Now they have been aware of that 'bug' since the online beta demo, and it's still there

Comment

To be fair, most of those little niggles you've described are actually part of the reason I enjoy the game. It's balance.

Rear view in the APC is bad because the APC is a behemoth and your viewing position looks over the rear which is massive... just move about a bit every so often. If you're sitting still in an APC for a prolonged amount of time then you deserve to get rdx'ed! If you get into an 18 wheeler and look out the wing mirror, how easily can you see immediately behind the trailer?

Titan gun elevation is about right so they can cause mass devastation - HOWEVER are vulnerable to certain attack points. What's the fun in having mounted guns that powerful and don't have points of vulnerability?

There's PLENTY of weapons that can remove gunships. All tier 4 engineer unlocks, tanks, transports, walkers, AA-rorsch, other gunships, even APCs can remove them with a well placed EMP to either force a crash or to immobilize for a quick pilum shot. If FAV and APC fire could also achieve similar devastation, then gunships would be almost entirely pointless.

Autobalance is fine - join or create a squad and it GENERALLY doesn't happen. At least, in all my gaming time it's rarely ever happened to me.

Tank AA guns elevation I can't explain other than the fact that they're 2 different tanks. How come one can hover and the other can't?

FF off is there to offer diversity in game play, I like FF on but some people don't.

The jumping down titan vent without being able to fire is I believe an offshoot of EA's method to stop people bunny-hop-spamming. Notice you can't shoot whilst jumping? It's just a sideeffect of that to stop you bouncing round the place whilst spamming. There's an easy solution though. Provided there's no APMs in the vent, draw your knife, jump down, charge behind the first pillar and then quickly rush in to stab the enemy.

Walker stumble however? ABSOLUTELY HATE IT!! That one needs fixing big time

So yeah, not intending to take apart your topic mate but those niggles are there for a reason. Just put yourself into situations where you can use those niggles to your advantage!

My niggles? Getting "stuck" when trying to jump over a fence. Occasionally the soldier behaves similarly to a man with shrunk limbs and just... can't jump over fences. That and getting stuck on like, fences when trying to walk/drive around. That and sprint not working sometimes, always seems to happen mid knife-fight for me.

Comment

Oh yeah, and a tank hits a small crate or wall and it does not move.

I long for real world physics.

Comment

Hit a gunship with a pilum round dead on and it doesn't register... doesn't even damage it one tiny little bit...

Other than that this game is awesome, except for a few mysterious CTD's and that you walk so slow

Comment

Clipping a sentry gun in a FAV and having it roll the FAV. Couldn't believe it the first time it happened to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Lolyn
              To be fair, most of those little niggles you've described are actually part of the reason I enjoy the game. It's balance.

Rear view in the APC is bad because the APC is a behemoth and your viewing position looks over the rear which is massive... just move about a bit every so often. If you're sitting still in an APC for a prolonged amount of time then you deserve to get rdx'ed! If you get into an 18 wheeler and look out the wing mirror, how easily can you see immediately behind the trailer?

Titan gun elevation is about right so they can cause mass devastation - HOWEVER are vulnerable to certain attack points. What's the fun in having mounted guns that powerful and don't have points of vulnerability?

There's PLENTY of weapons that can remove gunships. All tier 4 engineer unlocks, tanks, transports, walkers, AA-rorsch, other gunships, even APCs can remove them with a well placed EMP to either force a crash or to immobilize for a quick pilum shot. If FAV and APC fire could also achieve similar devastation, then gunships would be almost entirely pointless.

Autobalance is fine - join or create a squad and it GENERALLY doesn't happen. At least, in all my gaming time it's rarely ever happened to me.

Tank AA guns elevation I can't explain other than the fact that they're 2 different tanks. How come one can hover and the other can't?

FF off is there to offer diversity in game play, I like FF on but some people don't.

The jumping down titan vent without being able to fire is I believe an offshoot of EA's method to stop people bunny-hop-spamming. Notice you can't shoot whilst jumping? It's just a sideeffect of that to stop you bouncing round the place whilst spamming. There's an easy solution though. Provided there's no APMs in the vent, draw your knife, jump down, charge behind the first pillar and then quickly rush in to stab the enemy.

Walker stumble however? ABSOLUTELY HATE IT!! That one needs fixing big time

So yeah, not intending to take apart your topic mate but those niggles are there for a reason. Just put yourself into situations where you can use those niggles to your advantage!

My niggles? Getting "stuck" when trying to jump over a fence. Occasionally the soldier behaves similarly to a man with shrunk limbs and just... can't jump over fences. That and getting stuck on like, fences when trying to walk/drive around. That and sprint not working sometimes, always seems to happen mid knife-fight for me.
              Good comments - and don't worry, I don't think you're taking the topic apart! As I said in the thread header, these are tiny niggles that annoy me - without them, I'm sure there would be others - lol!

I forgot about the 'getting stuck on scenary' one. Sometimes you seem like an olympic hurdler that can clear anything - and at other times, you can't clear a 6" obstacle easily.

Comment

and the traintracks should not stop people for a second. i have passed a lot of traintracks but never have anyone see doing that.

Comment

Pilum shots not registering, quite annoying sometimes. Having to jump over train tracks in CG is another. The "Walker-shimmy" is another...gawd its annoying. Still, love the game!

Comment

camp gibs traintracks a bit to high so you often clip in them but who cares if you manage to jump over 2 tracks lol

anyway [qoute]FAV and APC machine guns do diddly-squat to the aircraft. Now that I really do hate. Even if it took five minutes of constant fire to bring down a gunship or transport - at least it would be doing something. [/qoute] wth since when do those bullets do damage to aircraft?

Comment

If you are ontop of a ladder and a foo is climbing it, I always see the image of the soldier seconds before he excually arrives.

Comment

Reload times on the Pilum. For an anti-vehicle rifle, it's bad enough the shots aren't in a clip to begin with by the year 2142, but one shot, and then that eternity-long reload animation... aaaahhhh! LOL

I also agree on the Titan AA guns. They really need to be placed on the sides or something for the kind of utility anybody building a giant floating aircraft carrier would insist they have in the first place. At the very least, each turret should have a 360-degree rotation, if they're going to be limited in line of sight to only whatever is above the titan's mid-line.

But my main one is easily how Lamesauce the Accipiter is. It needs some serious beefing up to make it worth taking into a fight and giving your position away for. I realize turning it into a floating, traveling Sentry Turret is TOO much, but right now the thing so piss-poor at what it's supposed to do that it is only worth burning an unlock for so you can get to the faster spawn beacon.

Comment

Originally posted by EnergyNL View Post
                          If you are ontop of a ladder and a foo is climbing it, I always see the image of the soldier seconds before he excually arrives.
                          OMG, I thought I was the only person to get that!!! I tried to explain it to some people in my clan, but no-one else got it. It's like a ghost, and gives you a warning someone is coming up! so funny... :laugh:

Anyone else get this bug?

Comment

I get it too sometimes, but I get it the whole time in BF2...

Comment

Originally posted by Erhardt
                              Reload times on the Pilum. For an anti-vehicle rifle, it's bad enough the shots aren't in a clip to begin with by the year 2142, but one shot, and then that eternity-long reload animation... aaaahhhh! LOL
                              i have to agree with this.... i once got a squad field upgrade, and i chose the pilum. got a few kills, but i was so irritated by the fact it takes so long to reload. and why only 5 bullets! these are bullets, not missiles! as my own annoyances, is the aircraft controls. so hard to master....
                              and the walkers. sometimes when i move left or right it will keep going in that direction, and soon i have a pilum shot in my rear because i went to far over and left myself vulnerable.
                              IMO, the walker controls should be simplified. heck, all controls should be simplified!

Comment

Working...
                              X