I need some lessons from SAAW masters!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheRealWolfgang View Post
    You got out of your tank to Baur a guy? That's risky, and I just know that would have backfired if I'd have tried that. He would have hopped in his tank and wtfpwned me with it. But then again BF hates me, so yeah. :salute:

~Wolfgang

Nobody steals my tank I didn't lie but I accidently skiped a part in that story. I never got out of my tank.

Comment

The SAAW can change the pace of the battle. I've spawned in, in the middle of a few matches where the enemy's air power had free range and shut down any advances my team tried to make. With (as far as I know) one player equipped with the SAAW, the enemy's air craft had to play a bit more defensively . They were no longer allowed to fly freely. Their flight patterns dramatically changed from mid-level aggressive attacks, to low level flights with fairly unpredictable movements. Our team was allowed to move some armor and advance. Certainly not capable of single handedly winning the game (which we lost, by the way), but definitely a key part in helping the team move across the map.

Establishing a lock-on is sometime all that's needed to fend off a gun ship. They either immediately hit their shields or take evasive actions. Either way, they're not focusing in on targeting your team.

I usually fire a single rocket as soon as I get the lock-on signal, then fire the second rocket a few seconds later (while maintaing lock-on). In theory, if they immediately hit the shield when lock-on signals first established, the first rocket will not do any damage, but by the time the shields burn, the second rockets on it's way. They will either try to stay and fight, which after reloading, the third rocket will bring them down, or fly off for repairs. Keeping the skys clear long enough for your team to advance.

With two gun ships and two transports, there is plenty of work for a dedicated SAAW. Depending on the map, try to find a out-of-the-way and elevated position free from obstructions. Having to keep the air ships in the center of your screen to maintain the lock, even when reloading, has you vulnerable and an easy target for a sniper. Or, follow your squad in either a APC or a buggy, but stay off the front line, ready to defend your team against any enemy air craft attacks.

Gunships take two rockets, transporters take three or four. You can not lock on to empty air craft on the ground. And the rockets do no damage to armor.

Comment

^^^^ - good reading there, Twizzz. All taken onboard and will hopefully be used!

It's funny. In the few times I've used it, the attitude of the the enemy flyers instantly changes (like you say) to a much more defensive role. Just disrupting their normal pwnage of armour and infantry, is enough to swing the battle back in your favour.

Just a shame you don't get many points fending them off!

Comment

Originally posted by Unzen View Post
          Just a shame you don't get many points fending them off!
          Which is one reason you don't see many SAAW dudes around. Well that, and unless people are being completely raped by aircraft most people will just spawn with AT instead. But yeah, the SAAW is a lot of fun to use.

~Wolfgang

Comment

i always use it except when i get raped with armor(in titan maps if i take a tank). i use standart AT wapons so i can pwn the gunship whores then. my favorite titan map has turned to highway tampa: 3 tanks at the beginning. it is awesome haveing a six man squad all on ts and pwning the enemies.

Comment

On a slightly seperate note, does anyone know if and how many rounds it takes from a SAAW to destroy the titan turrets?

Comment

is that even possible? if so you need to have a dam good aim if it isnt guided. but it is a waste if you dont have any supllies leave the titangunspammers for guys in stationary aa

Comment

I did wonder if it was possible - so long as the missile went straight-ish. Might be an interesting test, I think.

Comment

I haven't used the SAAW much... too tough in most cases to make kills with it, IMO, but one time I had an idea that paid off handsomely... playing Titan and as happens often, the Titans ended up hanging nose-to-nose. I tried getting some Titan AA kills but the guys on the other side knew how to dive straight down out of the hangar so I kitted for the SAAW, respawned, and podded over to their titan... only I didn't want to be a big fat target for any guys they had covering the top, so I came down on a lip on the very front, just below the hangar deck and hung out there with my SAAW... whenever a gunship took off and did his nosedive, I popped 'em.

Worked out really well (until I ran out of ammo, of course). =) I don't think anybody ever saw me, either. I think 6 of my 8 SAAW kills were from that round alone. =P

Comment

good luck Unzen

<<loves my SAAW.......used to be a top of the leaderboard for kills at one time...still use it alot...but loves my tank more...LOL:laugh:

Ive never destroyed a titan turret with a SAAW..thats not what they are designed to do.....Pilum is the weapon to use for that and it takes 3 hits to knock one of those out.I dont know if anyone has mentioned this but.......the best time to knock out a gunship is when its leaving the hangar.....so get a good place to lurk where you have a nice clear view......Lock-on....and fire once it is justtt taking off...even if they countermeasure...it wont help em...it will eat thru the shield......kaboom!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X