Server help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server help

Hi all sorry if this has been posted,my search did not turn any thing up.

My bud just bought a TF2 server and has asked me to help set it up.

I would like to know the basics to start me off,like a how to on rcon commands,how to set up a map cycle,adding custom maps etc.

Like i said this is my first time toying with this and my forum/google searches are not helping me for some reason.

Thanks in advance TG Crew for any help.
    :salute:

You have Xfire or MSN or anything?... and ill talk to through it.

Comment

Originally posted by Oli View Post
      You have Xfire or MSN or anything?... and ill talk to through it.

Thank you,but I dont use any messengers (dont like them)
      I was more or less looking for a link/tut some thing like that.

After I posted this I spent more time looking online it just seems funny I cant find any thing that helps.

Again thanks Oli for offering your time.
      :salute::salute:

Comment

Thats the problem, there are no websites that give you help on how to set up CFG's and stuff. What specifically do you need help with it and ill find links and write the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Oli View Post
          Thats the problem, there are no websites that give you help on how to set up CFG's and stuff. What specifically do you need help with it and ill find links and write the rest.
          WOW thanks Oli!

I want to know how to adjust round times/score limits etc
          Change map rotation like adding custom maps or taking out existing maps
          Admin commands and understanding Rcon.

Do I need any server side mods?

I hope thats clear what I am looking for.

Again Oli thank you for the replies and for your time.
          :salute:

ps.Is this all done by console or does it have a Admin controll panel like BF2cc?

Comment

You will need to get access to the servers FTP or Control Panel first.

What server company is it?

Ill write everything up so that it is ready for you to use straight away, but it is essential to have access to the server FTP so that you can edit the files and setup.

Check back later today

In the beginning there was FTP. Depending on what server company you are with, you may either have a build in FTP on your control panel, or you may be required to DL an FTP client to access it using IP's and Ports.

FileZilla - The free FTP solution for both client and server. Filezilla is open source software distributed free of charge.

DL this if you need an FTP client.

The FTP is basically the place where all the server files are stored that control the server.

If you have to use the FTP client, put the IP the server providor gave you and click connect. You will now see lots of files and folders. This is true for both the FTP client view and also the "built in" view.

Editing round times

Go to: srcds_1 > orangebox > tf > server.cfg

The server.cfg file is what you're looking for.

Once you have located the server.cfg download it to your desktop and change the name of the file from server.cfg to server.txt.

Open the server.txt file. Inside should be nice things like this:
            // ** Server Name
            // You are not allowed to remove the INX-Gaming branding
            // unless you have paid for it. We monitor servers regularly
            // and suspend accounts who do not comply with this rule
            hostname "!! INX-Gaming.co.uk >> My TF2 Server"
            //
            // ** RCON Password
            // You are advised to change this immediately
            // You use this to administer your game server
            rcon_password "inxgaming"
            //
            // ** Server Password
            // Please enter a password if you wish to make
            sv_password ""
            //
            // ** Time limit
            mp_timelimit 30
            //
            // ** Max Rounds
            mp_maxrounds 50

//
            //** Rates - please don't change these
            sv_maxrate 30000
            sv_minrate 5000
            sv_maxupdaterate 100
            //
            // turn logging on
            log on
            Anything with // in front of it does NOT affect the server. It basically means you can label things.

To set the maximum time limit: mp_timelimit <time in minutes>

Put the number of minutes next to the command without the <>.

Set the round limit: mp_maxrounds <number>

Put the maximum number of rounds per map to be played.

As for setting a maximum score, i have never come across a command for it.

Once you have edited the server config, save the .txt file. Go to your desktop and change the name of the file back to server.cfg. Now, either using your FTP client (filezilla) or your server control panel, upload the server.cfg back into the folder tf

To change map rotation

In the same folder as server.cfg, there should be a file called mapcycle.txt and also maplist.txt

Download these 2 files to your desktop.

Mapcycle.txt will look something like thisWhen opened)

cp_gravelpit
            cp_dustbowl
            cp_granary
            cp_well
            ctf_2fort
            tc_hydro
            ctf_well
            cp_badlands
            And map list will look exactly the same.

This is where you edit your map cycle. Any maps that you do not want in the map cycle, delete from both the maplist.txt and mapcycle.txt. Save the files and upload them back to folder: tf overwriting the old ones.

Now, adding custom maps to the server is a bugger. Lots of reasons for this and i suggest that you don't have custom maps unless you have someone more experienced able to add them.

Custom maps are large and when clients are trying to join your server, the maps take a long time to download. There is a way around this by hosting the downloadable maps on a separate file server. This speeds up the downloads. and also makes the game server less laggy.

Admin on the server/Rcon commands

First of all, your TF2 server should have the Mani Admin Plugin installed. If it doesn't, talk to your server provider and ask them to install it.

Adding admins to the admin list

To start with, go to any TF2 server: Go to the console and type status

Look for your name and next to it should be your steamid. Which will look like: steamid:002_474 etc. Copy and paste this into a txt file.

Open up your FTP and go to: srcds_1 > orangebox > tf > cfg > mani_admin_plugin

Again, there will be lots of .txt files. You need to search for adminlist.txt.old If you dont have it, dont worry, open notepad and save it as adminlist.txt.

If you have downloaded adminlist.txt.old, you will need to rename it so that it is just adminlist.txt. Open it up in notepad: Copy and paste your steam id into the file. Save the file and upload it back into the folder: mani_admin_plugin (overwriting the old one).

The adminlist.txt will automatically turn back into a .old file. If you need to add more admins, get hold of their Steamid's and copy and paste the number into the adminlist.txt file (upload again).

Restart The Server!

Join your server, open up the console and type:

bind "l" "admin"

Press enter. Now whenever you are in game and you press L the mani admin plugin config chould come up in game and give you the opportunity to kick/ban people but also have fun with fire bombs and stuff.

For the rcon commands, open up the console and type any of these:

The only server sided mod you will need is Mani Admin

Comment

Originally posted by Oli
              You will need to get access to the servers FTP or Control Panel first.

What server company is it?

Ill write everything up so that it is ready for you to use straight away, but it is essential to have access to the server FTP so that you can edit the files and setup.

Check back later today
              Ok Oli i have access to the controll panel and the server provider is Darkstar.

Edit:Thanks again Oli for going out of your way and doing this

Comment

All written. Any more help needed, bring it back here.

Comment

Oli's the man when it comes to source servers

Comment

Aye 'tis true

Comment

What a rare and extremely helpful thing to do, need more people like Oli on the internet :salute:

Comment

I changed round end time(till next game starts)
                        map rotation
                        end round chat time
                        Oh and i dont know why i did this but i also ran the steam update server tab.

now when in game and in console,i try and change level by typing
                        changelevel ctf_2fort and it says i cant,not running server?
                        HEH now what did i do wrong?
                        and yes thats after loging into rcon
                        what about that beetles mod it says i can install,good idea or bad?

Thanks again.
                        p.s,Flamesfan I learned early on that TGN is a rare helpful community im still trying to wrap my head around the fact that Oli has done this,just wish i could do some thing in return.
                        Edit:Edit probs fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Section{8} View Post
                          just wish i could do some thing in return.
                          He'll think of something

Comment

Originally posted by Skaggy View Post
                            Oli's the man when it comes to source servers
                            :nod:

Comment

Ok next question.

My bud would like to know how to add a custom server graphic,like what you first see when you join a server,some servers are advertising their clan sites etc.

He will make his own I just dont know what to search for,every thing I look up seems to bring me no where.

Thanks again guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X