need help installing maps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help installing maps

alright, so i'm guessing you have heard this question 1000 times, but i have checked the TotalCOD4 site, the IW forums and asked around with friends, and i still cant manage to get to play custom maps... i was just wondering if someone could give me ONE way to doing it instead of 3then saying "i dont know which one works, so try them all!"...

thanks in advance

-gZ

I have a problem with custom maps liking to crash my game and kick me out, so I have researched the issue and have found that there is no one way to do it.

It *seems* custom maps have to be in a specific area for that specific map. Sometimes its a specific folder in a specific area. If you download a map, there *should* be a readme file stating where you need to put it.

Ive just started looking into it though, so maybe someone withe more experience downloading the maps and manually adding them vs. auto download will chime in and have more to say.

Crunch
    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

So is it not like COD2 where you just throw them in to your main directory? (along with all the other crap that gets downloaded )

Comment

Originally posted by Vasquez
        So is it not like COD2 where you just throw them in to your main directory? (along with all the other crap that gets downloaded )
        There is a "mod" folder that maps are "suppose" to go into and then work. BUT, I think CoD2 map makers are making CoD4 maps like they did for CoD2 and so you have to know the right directory and folder to make it all work.

Also, most people would think that maps go where all the other maps are and throw them there.

So I think thats some of the confusion.

Crunch

Comment

well is sure is confusing, i found another post where it said you have to run a mod under Mod section and then open the map via the console... the console doesnt work (anymore..) it worked once and it said the map doesnt exist... so... yeah!

Comment

This post has a spot:

Homepage for Total Gaming Network and CS-Nation. Get the latest video game news, previews, and reviews on a daily basis.

Crunch

Comment

Originally posted by CptainCrunch View Post
              There is a "mod" folder that maps are "suppose" to go into and then work. BUT, I think CoD2 map makers are making CoD4 maps like they did for CoD2 and so you have to know the right directory and folder to make it all work.
              I think you're at least partly right. Some map makers are definitely not doing things 100% correctly anyway (or at least weren't early on), which is leading to errors and confusion about where maps need to go. Some maps are also designed to be run with certain mods which adds another layer of confusion.

I think there's also a difference between where the maps need to go to simply be played on a "public" server, vs where you need to place them if you want to run them yourself on your own PC.

Hopefully v1.6 will sort out a few more things.

Comment

well, i want to play them in my pc so my friends can connect to me via ad-hoc.. but are they ranked then? and its so confusing i might as well just give up

Comment

Working...
                X