VOIP, terrible quality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VOIP, terrible quality?

Is VOIP seriously bad in CoD4 for you also? On TS people can hear me from the other side of the room when I'm TALKING, not even shouting...

But in CoD4 no one ever responds to me and I have only ever once heard someone over it once and they sounded like a squealing cat. I went on the in game microphone test and I got about 5 pixels lighting up when I talked and had to full on shout to get half the bar to light up, record volume low or high made no difference but I left it on high anyway...

Just interested to see if this is just a crap pointless implementation of VOIP or just my computer... somehow.

Mav

Never tried it tbh.

Comment

We have VoIP turned on our servers, but not at the highest settings. Some servers the VoIP is excellent and some, not so much.

There are too many factors that affect how well VoIP will behave on one server or another as well as your own machine.

So, from ALL the servers that had VoIP and with ALL my experience with VoIP in CoD4 AND not comparing it to the nice VoIP in the BF series, Ive concluded that its OK.

It could be better, but it doesnt suck.

Crunch
      Twitter: @CptainCrunch
      Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

lol so why vote that is good?

Edit: Sorry Crunch didn't see your reply until this post came through

Comment

Originally posted by Mavrik347 View Post
          lol so why vote that is good?

If you mean me? The reason is because it works and it is clear enough to hear.

Dont get me wrong, its not a phone call by any means and it could be better, but its withoutadoubt not teh sux.

On our server, with it set to middle settings, I hear everyone clear as a bell. I think thats because its our own dedicated server and we have bandwidth that can handle it. I also have a very good PC with nice headset so I can hear things better.

I have had some people come on the server and they have a high ping and I cant understand them. However, thats how VoIP works. If there is too much latency, your going to get dropped packets, no matter what you do. That can cause echo, delays, jitter, so on and so forth.

I think the bigger problem though is that most servers are rented and they have a number of clients on them and lower end servers, so there are VoIP problems.

Is any of that because of the game? No, its because of the conditions of the equipment.

Like I said, every time I have used it, its worked.

EDIT: It could be your settings on your computer. When you do the test, you are testing it on your own system. If you are having problems with that test, its not a server thing. Ive never ran the test myself, just left it alone and I can hear stuff pretty good. Yes, TS is better, but that and Ventrillo were entirely designed for communcations.

Crunch

Comment

yeah I know what you mean mate. (Read my edit though lol) I'm setting up a bunch of dedicated high spec servers now.

Comment

HA, and I edited my reply Read my edit too

I think that will help. There are a lot of complaints bout the VoIP in this game and the BF series really has some nice stuff in it for some reason. One thing though with the BF series, is you could tell it to use an external VoIP server, which made a HUGE difference. I dont think CoD has that option.

Crunch

Comment

Its bad quality, though I personally find game voip annoying in anygame tbh, Guess when your in a clan you only talk to whos in your vent/ts and not use the ingame one as your not bothered about the other players in the server..

Plus people either sound like their talking through a paperbag or they find it amusing to play music over it....

Comment

Agreed Violator but on my servers we warn then kick for that look for AD-SL.com servers for the strict but nice admins

Thanks Crunch, it may be a problem my end, I'll check Activisions FAQ.

Comment

On those rare times when I have heard someone using in-game VOIP on the PC version, it has sounded terrible. Not sure whether it was a bandwidth problem or a mic problem their end, but if others are hearing things clearly, then it sounds like a user-side issue.

Comment

It's OK, but could be much, much better.

Comment

In game VOIP is what it is. No need to make it better since most people use external programs anyways. I guess as long as there is SOMETHING, and that you can actually hear, its fine.

Comment

So far of any game i have seen, ETQW has had the best VOIP quality. As for this game, sucks hard.

Comment

All I've ever heard have been 16 year olds babbling incoherently and once when I joined near the end some kid said our team sucked.

The quality wasn't good though.

Comment

the only time I ever heard anyone use voip was to say whats up,or hello,and the quality was fine.i have never heard anyone use voip for actual teamwork or gameplay.

Comment

Working...
                              X