Downloading maps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downloading maps

I downloaded a map just now and I have no clue where to put the files. The readme didn't help, either
    so where do I put these files?

1. Place the .iwd file into C:\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty 4-Modern Warfare\Mods\*Folder name of your choice*\mp_mapname.iwd

2. Place mp_mapname folder holding 2 .ff files into your [root]\usermaps folder.
    C:\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty 4-ModernWarfare\usermaps\mp_mapname

Comment

this is where I put the .iwd file:
      C:\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare\Mods\iwd

and this is where I put those two .ff files:
      C:\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warefare\usermaps

I don't think I did it right because when I try to host a server, the map doesn't show up on the list, and when I type the command in console, that doesn't work either.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomeis
        this is where I put the .iwd file:
        C:\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare\Mods\iwd
        Put the .IWD file in a folder, (I'm guessing you named the folder "iwd"?) in the Mods folder.
        Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare\Mods\*foldernamehere*\*The .IWD file in here*

Originally posted by Tomeis
        and this is where I put those two .ff files:
        C:\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warefare\usermaps
        Make sure the two .ff files are inside the same folder it was in.
        Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare\usermaps\mp_mapname and inside mp_mapname should be the two .ff files.

Basically put the mp_mapname folder with the two .ff files in \usermaps.

Then start up the game, click "Mods", then click on the mod name you named in \Mods. Launch the mod, start a new server, pick a stock map (most of the custom maps don't show up in the list), start the server. Open the console, type, /map mp_mapname. Then it should load up the map.

Comment

ok thanks, it works now. I didn't know I had to load the mod first.

Now, if I download a bunch of maps and put them in my mod folder (iwd) is that ok when I play on servers with the custom maps that I have? Will it have to download the maps from the server and put them in a seperate mod folder?

Comment

AFAIK, you can keep the IWD in the usermaps/mapname/ folder. Seems to work with zeroy's Sharqi.

Comment

You also don't need to pre-download the maps before you try to play.

Most servers are going to have auto downloads setup where you can just join and your game will download the files and put them in the right place automatically.

Comment

Originally posted by FPS[VT_NERD]
                You also don't need to pre-download the maps before you try to play.

Most servers are going to have auto downloads setup where you can just join and your game will download the files and put them in the right place automatically.
                I've done that a few times, but for a lot of the servers the downloads are so slow. Also, downloading the maps seperately is kind of a waste of time. I downloaded the karkand and sharqi maps but then when I joined a server that was playing one of the maps, it re-downloaded it and put it into the server's own mod folder.

Comment

The .ff files that go in the usermaps/mapname folder are the same regardless of what mod you are playing.

The only additional file you would have to download is the .iwd for whatever mod is running. The .iwd files are typically small.

As for download speed, not sure what kind of ISP you have, but some of our members get 800KB/s off our map download site (I get 200-300KB/s myself). Some servers will be slow and some will be fast....just have to find the fast ones and add them to favorites.5

Comment

Working...
                  X