• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will this urn on high

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2
    2 gigs ddr2 800mhz
    geforce 8600GT

Will this run bf2 ALL maxed out?

The 8600GT isn't a great card, what resolution will you be playing at?

Comment

yes it will run bf2 maxed out at 1280x1024 with 16xAA and 16xAF

that's how I play with 50+ fps sometimes goes lower than 50 depending what map, how much action, etc, but generally its 50

I don't know how it will do above 1280x1024, though

Comment

is a 7800GT or a 7900GS a better card then the 8600GT??

Comment

What is your budget?ID you have around 170 get a ati 3850,it will run any game on high.

Comment

^^ except for crysis, of course.

Also in answer to your question, the 7900gs is a better card for the BF series.
            you can check out how your card ranks against the 7800gt and 7900gs here
            VGA Charts

Comment

Originally posted by Corkum View Post
              ^^ except for crysis, of course.

Also in answer to your question, the 7900gs is a better card for the BF series.
              you can check out how your card ranks against the 7800gt and 7900gs here
              VGA Charts
              yes they're better, but you should try to stay away from tom's hardware benchmarks.

according to one of their benchmarks, 8600GTS > all

Comment

That particular benchie is limited by the cpu not the gpu.

Comment

Originally posted by Rushhour33 View Post
                  is a 7800GT or a 7900GS a better card then the 8600GT??
                  Yes in DX9. I used to have the 7900 GS and it played BF2 maxed at 70ish FPS.

Comment

That particular benchie is limited by the cpu not the gpu.
                    so, why use that game then, if it's based on mainly cpu and not gpu? and wouldn't the 8800ultra still be better than the 8600GTS, regardless of cpu?

Comment

Negative, but nonetheless you will run it maxed out.

Comment

i run bf2 maxed out every single thing high with 16x AA @ 1280*1024 usually with 150fps in none combat situations and around 80-90 with arty

Comment

Originally posted by Tomeis View Post
                          so, why use that game then, if it's based on mainly cpu and not gpu? and wouldn't the 8800ultra still be better than the 8600GTS, regardless of cpu?
                          Huh? You know you can select the game and the resolution from the drop down menu. Crank the res and see if the 8600 still beats an ultra. It doesn't. At that low resolution the FPS is limited by the CPU and is therefore not effected by the card present, once the resolution is raised you should see some discrepancies, as you do.

Comment

Huh? You know you can select the game and the resolution from the drop down menu. Crank the res and see if the 8600 still beats an ultra. It doesn't. At that low resolution the FPS is limited by the CPU and is therefore not effected by the card present, once the resolution is raised you should see some discrepancies, as you do.
                            barely. unless I'm missing something major here, the entire flight sim X benchmark, regardless of resolution, doesn't seem right

1600x1200, in-game AA, in-game AF, ultra quality
                            7900GTX > 8800GTX, GTS and GT
                            and just a little further down:
                            8600GTS > 3870, 3850

only at 1900x1200 does the list of cards look better. even then, though, there's still inconsistancy. plus, the FPS is 23 constant on the 88ultra, which again, doesn't seem right

Comment

You may indeed be right, I have never personally played flight sim X so I cannot attest to the accuracy of the benchies. I do however, know that those benchies with regard to BF2142 are accurate and as it runs on the same engine as BF2 I thought it could be useful.

Comment

Working...
                              X