Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When I join a server and the spawn screen opens my video freezes but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When I join a server and the spawn screen opens my video freezes but...

...I can still hear the game playing on. No recent changes in system, this seems to have started happening out of the blue. I've reinstalled everything in my system except for the OS. My video card control panel has everything set to application controlled. I've been playing this game since the day it came out and while I've had my problems, I've never seen this. Specs for this 3+ year old box:

A64 3700+
    MSI K8N NP
    Nvidia 6800GT
    2GB pc3200
    500GB hd

Please help. Thanks.

Try altering the graphics resolution in your game settings Ed.

Comment

Changing resolutions didn't work.

Possibly worth noting is that (as I said) the game freezes when the spawn screen first opens upon joining a server, and I can still hear the game sounds, but I can also see the game text scrolling behind the kit menu. So it appears as though the video isn't frozen. Yet my mouse is frozen, and I can't escape to the menu. The only thing I can do is ctrl-alt-del then end task.

Also worth noting is that my other 3d apps (TF2, COD4, HL2, etc.) work fine.

Comment

If your controls are frozen try resetting them in options>controls

Comment

Something must have changed on your system to have caused the problems, when did it first occur, can you try a system restore previous to when the problem started ?

Comment

Well based on Natt's suggestion I took a look at my controls and low and behold everything is blank. Not sure why since I've re-installed BF2, but anyhow I tried resetting all of my controls, but BF2 won't allow me to change some. It keeps saying the control is already assigned in Common Controls.

I was able to assign most, and now I can enter the game fine, but I still need to be able to change some controls that it's not allowing me to.

edit: i'm at a loss. i remembered when the demo for bf2 came out that you couldn't rebind some controls without deleting them inside of controls.con. so i cleared controls.con, re-assigned everything ingame, and now i'm back where i started. the spawn screen freezes.

now that i have everything rebound, i can open and close the spawn and squad screens, but when they're open, i can't move my mouse, so i can't actually join the game. i've got a logitech mx518 mouse and i've tried it with and without setpoint installed, no luck either way.

Comment

i tried another reinstall since i was pretty sure my controls.con was borked and i didn't have a good backup. the mouse pitch and yaw controls were blank and i couldn't fill them using the ingame bind menus. this was the only thing i had blank and apparently if it is blank you have no mouse control in the spawn and squad screens.

dunno why reinstalling before didn't work like it did this time :shrug:. i'm good to go.

thanks.

Comment

Well done Ed, all that I ask in return for trying to help you out is . . . if you see me on the battlefield and you're on the other team, just turn a blind eye and let me live a little longer !

Comment

Working...
                X