High Texture = Better Performance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Texture = Better Performance?

o.O I used to have issues with using high textures because my game would stutter a lot (even though the frame rate was high). I attributed this to the VRAM not having enough space and having to swap out with my slow laptop HD.

Recently, I upgraded from 2GB to 4GB of system ram, and I guess the VRAM is able to swap a lot more with the system RAM rather than the HD so now, I can run high textures without stuttering. For some reason, running high texture has actually improved the performance of the game. Whereas in the past, my game would crawl to a standstill if any effects occurred (things hitting my shields, EMP, orbital strikes). However, now with high textures turned on, my game suddenly runs perfectly, even during effect sequences. I might pump effects from medium up to max tomorrow since I have everything else on max.

I guess this isn't really a support question, but I'm certainly wondering why the effects are so much smoother on high textures.

Originally posted by Ghiblian View Post
    o.O I used to have issues with using high textures because my game would stutter a lot (even though the frame rate was high). I attributed this to the VRAM not having enough space and having to swap out with my slow laptop HD.

Recently, I upgraded from 2GB to 4GB of system ram, and I guess the VRAM is able to swap a lot more with the system RAM rather than the HD so now, I can run high textures without stuttering. For some reason, running high texture has actually improved the performance of the game. Whereas in the past, my game would crawl to a standstill if any effects occurred (things hitting my shields, EMP, orbital strikes). However, now with high textures turned on, my game suddenly runs perfectly, even during effect sequences. I might pump effects from medium up to max tomorrow since I have everything else on max.

I guess this isn't really a support question, but I'm certainly wondering why the effects are so much smoother on high textures.

yeah sometimes and sometimes no. when im capping a flag for example and an arty rains down on my location then sometimes it goes a tad bit slow for me but nothing major. The game does look a lot nicer with maxed out settings like the swaying trees and little bushes etc

Comment

Working...
    X