• Show
Clear All

• Didn't know where to ask

but, is Windows XP 64-bit edition worth trying?? I have this computer:

Intel core 2 duo E6750 2.66 ghz
    Asus P5k-e Motherboard
    2 gb OCZ DDR2 1066 mhz
    Ati radeon HD3870

I usually play BF2, BF2142, Cod 4 and most games that come out. So, is it any better than the 32-bit edition of XP ?

Thank you

I switched to 64-bit 2 years ago, I didn't notice any difference with games, not many games use 64-bit.
    I did notice the lack of drivers for some hardware tho.
    I would save your money for Vista when Service pack 1 or 2 has been released.

Comment

Not 64bit XP, trying to find drivers for any hardware remotely old is painful and usually fruitless task. Stick with 32bit XP, or 64bit Vista if you really have to

Comment

I run xp x64 on my system and I haven't had any problems finding drivers. HP even had x64 drivers for my all-in-one printer which is a couple years old. The only reason i went to x64 is because i have 4gig of ram, and wanted to be able to use it all. as for performance, I dont think you would see much of a difference.
        "Crunch's First Officer"
        twitter: @signaprime

Comment

You'd see increased performance in heavy applications, like 3D modeling and CS:S mapping.

Comment

If you have a need for memory-heavy applications like CAD as doggie said, x64 is worth it. Games, though, will typically run in x86 emulation if you have a 64-bit OS, so little benefit there. You will also have to format a drive to install the x64 OS because you can't just do an upgrade from x86.

In a general sense, XP x64 = mediocre, VIsta x64 = pretty good. There are pluses and cons with each version, but neither is necessarily better than the other.

However, most people have little need for x64 right now. On the other hand, I love loading a 12,000 part Autodesk Inventor model into RAM. Who says I can't encode DVDs and render at the same time . Sure lets me got more done while I am "doing homework."

Comment

Working...
            X