Joystick for aircraft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joystick for aircraft

Hi, recently i bought the logitech attack 3 joystick. I was calibrating the controls when i realized i cant use the control to look around since it has no hat switch. That is a major disadvantage in air combat. Can anyone give me an idea how to set the look around controls? Thanks

since it has 4 buttons on top, I would:

- set one to forward looking cockpit
    - set one to rear view
    - set one to drop bombs
    - set one to switch between missles / chaingun hud.

you'll also need one to drop flares. either set that on a lower button, or put hud switch on a lower button.

then again, im not a jet person. perhaps one of them will chime in.
    "Crunch's First Officer"
    twitter: @signaprime

Comment

Is there a throttle on it? If not, I'd say have the stick in your right hand and your left on the keyboard. Use w and s for throttle and other keys around there for camera angles. Or, if you have fast hands, use the ctrl button for mouselook and move your right hand to the mouse to look around. After looking, put your hand back on the stick and keep on flying.

Comment

this maybe wrong but i thought the looking around thing could only be used with mouse.

I didnt know how to spot either with joystick, cause theres no left click :x

Comment

You can use JoyToKey to set joystick buttons and axes to mouse/keyboard functions. That's the only way I know how to spot with a stick. As far as looking around, you can set one of your buttons to the mouselook key and have the hat emulate mouse movement. Of course that only works on a stick with a POV hat...

Comment

I've to be honest heard some very bad things about the Attack 3. It has a tendency to have a bad feeling, and also a tendency to get decalibrated pretty quickly. As I fly a lot of jets with the Extreme 3D Pro I have to recommend that one for you. It's better and survives longer.

Comment

In bf2, I fly jets and heli's with a PS2 gamepad plugged into my PC through a USB converter.......Perfect thing for it as well! Sits in your hand or anywhere dead easy, 16 different buttons if you really want them (I have a use for every single one except the start button), and two analougue sticks which works as your mouse and WSDA keys for movement.

Comment

i have the logitech 3D pro joystick and i use the 4 buttons at the top for all of my views works great, also the little black rubber joystick on the top to Auto Spot

Comment

You can bind the top keys on your joystick to look in the directions the keys are facting. However, would you want to? Its far easier to map the joystick axii as mouse axii and use CTRL to use the joystick as a mouselook tool.

Comment

then can u tell me how to map the joystick axis as the mouse axis and use that to look?

Comment

Sure, this is how I do it.

Open your BF2 controls file in the My Documents folder

C:\Documents and Settings\[USER]\My Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles\000X

000X is the file youre looking for. Its usually in 0001, but if youre running multiple profiles, it can be 0002, 0003 and so forth.

Open the file, find the "controls.con" file. Open it with Notepad.

Locate the line

ControlMap.create AirPlayerInputControlMap
                      And paste these lines directly under it

ControlMap.addAxisToAxisMapping c_PIMouseLookX IDFGameController_0 IDAxis_0 0 0
                      ControlMap.addAxisToAxisMapping c_PIMouseLookY IDFGameController_0 IDAxis_1 0 0
                      Now, if you go into the game, and fly around, hold down CTRL and move your joystick around to view around your cockpit.

Comment

thanks but i searched thru 0001,2,3 etc and cant find 000x, im usin vista by the way. I guess ill just modify 0001. So if i want the changes on my last profile, do i change 0005,which is the last 000 file.

Comment

000x means that the x can be any number. Probably 1.

Comment

Hi All.

I am tying to set my Microsoft precision sidewider joystich to control Heli's and planes. The problem is that i find it a lit to much sensitive, especially on Reality Project Mod.
                            I'dd already play with JoyToKey asigning joy axes to mouse movement, and try several valvues on JoyToKey and at game on mouse sensitive setting.
                            Guess that i get it better, but i think it's not the rigth way to go.
                            So, is it possible to set joystick axes sensitive and range on game, or other way, like an extrenal program?
                            Thanks in advance
                            PLebre

Comment

JTK is NOT, I repeat, NOT for sensitivity adjustments. If youre using JTK I advise you to leave only joystick axii controls in the control settings in BF2/PR. Remove mouse and keyboard controls (for axii) and leave only JS ones.

You can use Microsofts own software if sensitivity is your only concern. Look it up, Im unfamiliar with MS sticks, but I am willing to bet they do hve such software.

Alternatively, try DXTweak2 (originally designed for Logitech sticks, but is known to work on others too) software for precision settings control.

Comment

Working...
                              X