Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WTH? Weapon unlocks and rank is stored locally or what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTH? Weapon unlocks and rank is stored locally or what?

I just bought a new PC, installed COD4, and used the same CD key and profile name as I was using on my original PC. I log in to multiplayer and I'm reset back to private with no unlocks.

Do I need to transfer over my old application data? If so, what files do I need exactly? (because I have found COD4 related files in numerous places outside of the application directory, and none of the ascii based files seemed to contain anything related so that leaves a myriad of binary files) Also, is application data stored in the same place in Vista? (I was running XP before)

Thanks for any info.

Stats are stored locally. Copy over the Profiles folder in your Call of Duty 4/Players folder.

Comment

For specifics:
      Homepage for Total Gaming Network and CS-Nation. Get the latest video game news, previews, and reviews on a daily basis.

Comment

hope you didn't end up losing anything...

Comment

Originally posted by =)BiT(=BlackMage View Post
          Stats are stored locally. Copy over the Profiles folder in your Call of Duty 4/Players folder.
          if stats are stored locally, isnt it possible then to alter you stats, like i.e. giver yourself rank 55, all guns and all gold guns

Comment

Originally posted by Sm3lln03vil
            if stats are stored locally, isnt it possible then to alter you stats, like i.e. giver yourself rank 55, all guns and all gold guns
            Presumably, but I'm assuming it's not as simple as that; we don't know exactly what's in the file (there might be some kind of check hash or something to verify that the rank is game-authentic or something). Most likely, setting the rank isn't as simple as it sounds (although storing the rank locally is... Interesting.)

Comment

Originally posted by Sm3lln03vil
              It's technically possible, but pretty pointless. There aren't that many sites that track global stats, so the bragging thing is barely existant...The higher level guns and stuff aren't that much better than the stock weapons (as can be seen by countless forum debates and discussions here - different weapons suit different people and their play-styles. Attachments are nice, but the MOST effective ones are relatively easy to get anyway early on)...and it takes an average player less than 48 hrs of gameplay to unlock everything anyway (unlike the 100's or 1000's of hrs for games like BF2).

If someone takes a shortcut by haxing their file, then they really only cheat themselves out of the fun of ranking up/unlocking everything.

Comment

There is a hack out there that will give you level 55, but I think earning it is more satisfying then hacking to get there.

Comment

Working...
                X