X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows vista and Bf2

Hi there!

Well, im getting pretty sad now days.
    My pc is making all these troubles and i almost hit it yesterday.

Well, anyway i used to use a windows xp but recently changed it to vista.

When i was running xp, i had no problems with running bf2 with one cpu off.
    (i use a dual core thingy so i have to turn one off)

Well, but now i'm getting all these wierd crashes.

1. Once it crashed with some kind of a memory problem.

2. It also crashed right away after i clicked join game. I saw the tree and the waterfall at fushe pass and as i was going to click my medic kit, it crashed.

3. When im playing, no matter how long(1min or 1hour), it suddenly crashes without any messages and "bf2.exe has stopped working, windows is finding a solution blah blah blah" comes out.

These are very annoying and it's killing me!

Once, i was flying a black hawk and i saw one of my squad member in the ocean in zatar wetlands, i was like 5 meters above him and suddenly it crashed. It made me mad and I threw my joystick!!!!

Anyone who has any solution, please help me.

Help me. Plz~!

i had no problems with running bf2 with one cpu off.
    Been running Vista exclusively since mid April and have never had to do that.

As for the rest of it, make good and sure that you have the latest motherboard, video and sound drivers. Also if you are overclocking back off some or even run at stock and see if the problems persist.

Comment

I run Vista and BF2 on a Quad Core and it works fine, have you tried right clicking on the BF2 shortcut and putting a tick in the 'Run in XP SP2 Compatibility Mode' and also the 'Run as administrator' box ?

One problem I had with my new pc was that I tried to run Vista (32 bit version) using 4 gigs of ram, it caused lockups galore, I removed 1 gig and it's been great since.

Have you tried running a pc stress test to check your pc stability ? I've used a freeware version called Heavyload, you can get it here if you want to try it. Check the manual here.

Good luck. :salute:

Comment

Please post your rig specs ...

After been running BF2 on Vista for over a year now, I have come to the conclusion, that those that are having trouble with it, are a bit short on resources. I have had better luck with the 64 bit version than the 32, but either way, if you have enough ram and video resources, Vista runs BF2 fine. If you can't run BF2, look at your hardware, ...not the Operating System. This is the first time I have heard of someone shutting down cores, and I wonder why you would want to do that?

(the 32 bit version doesn't recognize ram over 4 gigs, but (supposedly), the 64 bit recognizes up to 8 gigs ...which is why I switched)

What video settings do you use?

Comment

Originally posted by UKseagull View Post
          I run Vista and BF2 on a Quad Core and it works fine, have you tried right clicking on the BF2 shortcut and putting a tick in the 'Run in XP SP2 Compatibility Mode' and also the 'Run as administrator' box ?

One problem I had with my new pc was that I tried to run Vista (32 bit version) using 4 gigs of ram, it caused lockups galore, I removed 1 gig and it's been great since.

Have you tried running a pc stress test to check your pc stability ? I've used a freeware version called Heavyload, you can get it here if you want to try it. Check the manual here.

Good luck. :salute:
          really? hmm then i think ill jus get 3 gigs

Comment

It crashes with 4GB of RAM if you either have a non-genuine version of vista and hence have had no updates, or you have a Creative card and haven't updated your audio drivers. Either way, your fault now.

Originally posted by jAcky7 View Post
            Hi there!

2. It also crashed right away after i clicked join game. I saw the tree and the waterfall at fushe pass and as i was going to click my medic kit, it crashed.

3. When im playing, no matter how long(1min or 1hour), it suddenly crashes without any messages and "bf2.exe has stopped working, windows is finding a solution blah blah blah" comes out.

Once, i was flying a black hawk and i saw one of my squad member in the ocean in zatar wetlands, i was like 5 meters above him and suddenly it crashed. It made me mad and I threw my joystick!!!!

Help me. Plz~!
            1 - Too common especially with Project Reality

The rest - sounds like a memory issue. There's also a certain kit switching bug that will crash your game regardless of OS.

Comment

^yea. if you upgrade from a pc origionally with xp without changing any internals. it will run like crap on vista. if you build up your pc for vista. you wont have any problems.

Comment

Hi guys!
                Thx for the replies.

Really? I don't need to shut down one core?
                I had to do that when i was using xp.
                Set affinity and things u know.
                If i didn't, bf2 would just shut down with no messages.(when i used xp)

My specs?
                Well heres my specs then:

Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit
                Geniune Intel 2160 @ 1.80ghz
                Ram 2 gb
                8500 gt 512mb
                dx 10(some of my programs say dx9, some say dx10 but i believe its dx10)
                using an onboard sound card

Oh and one question...

How big is vista? 30gb?

Comment

Originally posted by jAcky7 View Post
                  Hi there!

Help me. Plz~!

Dude i run vista too. I get some weird memory error too. Its like memory.dll something. But sometimes it doesn't. I only play mods. So idk. I personally dont care because i play cod 4 and shadowrun a lot more.

Comment

Yeah thats the memory thing i get sometimes.

Oh and i forgot to post some things.

I run bf2 at all high and AA 4x and i get around 30~90 fps.

And remember, Bf2 used to work fine when I used xp.
                    Why I turned off a core? Because bf2 didn't work with 2 cpu's on when i used xp.(I think)
                    At first I got irregular crashes with no errors, so i tried and turned a core off and it worked fine for months.

Yeah and I used to play cod4 more(Lvl 55), but I just figured out there was a perfect mod for me, Project Reality!!! So i have to fix this problem if i want to save downed pilots in the middle of a desert.

Comment

Originally posted by camper. View Post
                      It crashes with 4GB of RAM if you either have a non-genuine version of vista and hence have had no updates, or you have a Creative card and haven't updated your audio drivers. Either way, your fault now.
                      I have a Genuine Vista Home Premium (32bit) and although the pc booted and appeared ok, it would just freeze without any on screen errors. With 4 gigs of ram installed the pc reported something like 3582 mb in the system as it cannot see the full 4 gigs. There's plenty of info via Google. :shock:

Originally posted by (TM)KillJoy
                      I have had better luck with the 64 bit version than the 32, but either way, if you have enough ram and video resources, Vista runs BF2 fine.
                      That's interesting to hear, have you had any problems with existing software not working on your 64 bit Vista ? When I bought my 32bit, I seem to remember seeing something about a free 64bit upgrade but I may be mistaken.

Comment

well i got 4 gigs of ram on my new compy. so i hope i dont get any crashes n BSOD's lol

Comment

I upgraded a rig when Vista first came out, and it was the 32bit version. I had lots of problems, BF2 was just one of them, but I knew as I went along, I would work them out, and Vista would be what XP used to be. What I found out was because of the way Vista uses RAM, your rig has to have lots of it to work easily and well. It worked out ok, I gave that rig to my wife and its working very well for her. I built a new rig, and finding out the RAM limitations of each version (32bit - 4 gigs) and (64bit - 8 gigs), seeing as how my new board would go up to 8 gigs, I figured I HAD to go with the 64bit. This rig has 4 gigs, and Vista sees ALL of it, and in a year or so, I'll install another 4.

I found some programs that ran good on the 32bit, but that wouldn't run at all on the 64bit. I either found updated versions that worked, or other programs to substitute that were either just as good or even better. I have yet to have to go back to using XP compatible settings. As time goes on, software companies will get onboard with Vista, and make their products work, or they won't be selling much.

I'm still confused about the shutting down cores thing. I run dual-cores (E6700 - overclocked to 3.2GHz), and with SLI enabled 2 x BFG 8800GTS 320, 4 gigs RAM, the CPU is the limiting factor of this rig. I can't imagine shutting down part of it. ??

Comment

I haven't had any crashes in BF2 for months now. There was alot of new patches released from Nvidia & M$, maybe you should double check you have all the windows updates and also head over to Nvidia to make sure you have all their recent hot fixes.

Comment

Thanks for that.

I see from my Vista dvd case that 64 bit is available to purchase for a nominal extra fee, I might consider getting the 64 bit if it supports my usually used software.

Upgrade info

64 bit memory support

Edit:

I've just ordered the 64 bit upgrade from Microsoft, £7.88 inc vat and delivery.

Comment

Working...
                              X