Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• graphic and audio stutters on vista 32 bit

Hi!

I've recently built a new system and experience some problems in BF2142 (and in BF2 as well). The symptoms are every minute or so stuttering of graphic and sometimes audio as well. It seems to happen mostly when a lot of stuff is going on on my screen (as expected).

I run the game in a 1400*1050 resolution and tested high and medium settings, with and without 2-4*AA, as well as a 1280*1024 resolution (medium and high settings). The result is more or less the same. I have always high fps (around 60-90) and low CPU loads, even with high settings under 1400*1050 and 4*AA. But my hard drive is always working when the stuttering appears, so I think it's pagefile related. I already tried different pagefile settings (incl. turning off the page file). But nothing worked so far...
    The Vista performance monitor shows that the pagefile is growing > 2GB even when there is about 30% free Ram left!?

Does anyone have any ideas / workarounds or experienced the same problems?

My system specs are: E2180 (intel DualCore) @ 2666 MHz, 2GB Ram, ATI HD3850(256MB) and a SATAII 320 MB HD runnung Windows Vista Home Premium.

Can't be true, that 2GB is not enough for BF even running Vista!? I get a better game performance on my XP notebook (2GB / X1600mobile) :shock:

With 2GB of ram, it's unlikely that your page file is being used.

My recommendations are:

1. Manually update PB. Sometimes when PB can't update, it keeps trying, causing things to studder.
    2. Defrag your hard drive.
    3. Clear your BF2142 cache.
    4. Disable any virus protection and firewalls/internet security programs.

Comment

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, should give the manual PB update a try.

I've already tried the other things you suggested. I'll keep you updated if PB is the cause of the lagging...

Comment

Two more things I thought of... make sure your power supply is sufficient and is operating at specs (You'd need a multimeter and knowledge of how to use it to really test it) and make sure your computer isn't overheating.

Comment

Oh yeah... the good old psu related problems. Well my Gigabyte mainboad ( GA-P35-DS3L) provides me with a tool which monitors the voltage levels of my psu (Rosewill 550 Watt SLI ready). Everything looks fine... The system, cpu und gpu temps are also in range.

I think I can definitely exclude temperature and power related problems and by the way BF2 / BF2142 are the only "troublemakers". Other games look fine (COD4, Crysis demo, LOTRO, ArmA).

However, I followed your suggestions turning off the firewall and my virus protection software, defender, etc. --> without any result

BUT I got rid of around 90% of the stuttering by putting my hard drive into "advanced performance mode" and by turning off this ridiculous windows indexing function (which I thought I already turned off, but I learned that unchecking the "indexing" checkbox in drive properties isn't enough, on has to disable indexing in the services).

In addition I will hopefully receive 2 more GB of Ram today (G-Skill 6400 2*1GB Dual Channel for just $49 incl. free shipping at Newegg is kind of a deal). So I hope to be fine in the future.

Comment

Dynamic lighting and dynamic shadows cause a lot of studdering problems too. Maybe try shutting those off?

Comment

Textures also cause alot of stuttering, I dont have dynamic lighting or drynamic shadows on , neither enhanced lighting.

Have you tried to see how well it runs on lower settings to see if it is hardware or a software problem ?

Comment

Working...
              X