can't play multiplayer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can't play multiplayer

I just bought COD4, awesome game. When I try to play multiplayer the screen says its loading and then goes blank and then says 'server disconnected'. It does this all the time, even when it says the server map has 6 people playing on it. And only two people in our whole world have COD4servers

please help, would like to play online

regards,
    Scott

First, be sure you download and install patch version 1.4...check the News section of this forum for a link.

After that, be sure that your firewall or router isn't blocking your internet connection.

Finally, make sure that Punkbuster is up-to-date. You can find instructions and FAQ's at their website: www.evenbalance.com

Good luck!

Comment

Welcome to Even Balance, Inc., home of the PunkBuster anti-cheat system.

Also try this, it helped me with the taking forever to connect. I connect immediately now, no wait time.

Comment

Well I did the patch update and now I see all kinds of servers, did the pb update. I don't think I have a firewall I do online flight sim and America's Army, but for some reason not COD4. Everything loads fine but then when it says waiting for other players, the screen goes blank and it says 'server disconnected.'

Comment

Originally posted by dooley1 View Post
          Well I did the patch update and now I see all kinds of servers, did the pb update. I don't think I have a firewall I do online flight sim and America's Army, but for some reason not COD4. Everything loads fine but then when it says waiting for other players, the screen goes blank and it says 'server disconnected.'
          OK, it sounds like you may be timing out before making the connection properly.

Read over the advice in this thread, specifically, in post #3, regarding the "connectionAttempts" command: http://www.totalgamingnetwork.com/ma...d.php?t=135444 and give that a try.

Comment

Well it doesn't say I'm being timed out. But I did the console command and changed the time out setting to 30 and still nothing. The screen just says :

NOTICE:
            Server Disconnected

Please help, the only reason I bought the game was to play online.

Comment

Well it doesn't say I'm being timed out. But I did the console command and changed the time out setting to 30 and still nothing. The screen just says :

NOTICE:
              Server Disconnected

Please help, the only reason I bought the game was to play online.
              Just to be sure...check your filters in the in-game server browser...be sure that you don't have "Password" set to "Yes", otherwise you'll only see passworded servers showing up, and of course, you won't be able to connect. Also be sure "Source" is set to "Internet".

Reset all your filters to default, change "Password" to "No" (there are other filters you probably want, but worry about those later), try a Refresh, and you should see a lot of servers showing up. Try to connect to several of them and see if you still get exactly the same error or not.

Comment

ya I've done all of that, did all kinds of servers and same thing, but get this. I loaded up the single player menu and at the bottom of the menu there is a tab that says play multiplayer, so I clicked it and the menu switched to multiplayer and when I picked a server this time IT WORKED!! played a bunch of rounds but my XP points never increased and no score was kept.

Comment

played a bunch of rounds but my XP points never increased and no score was kept.
                  It's possible that you may have played on an unranked server.

Either set your filter to "ranked", or when the list of servers comes up, only choose ones with a checkmark in the column with the IW symbol (looks like an atom) at the top.

Comment

Working...
                  X